• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meijer OC

sevenplusone

imported post

Did we ever get an answer from corporate about OC in Meijer? I've done a seach (several actually) and never found an answer. I'm going to the Walker location tonight on my way home from work and I half expect trouble considering how close to the city it is. I've got plenty of time to waste soI don't really care, I'm just curious what the corporate policy is.

T Vance

imported post

If they've never asked YOU to leave the store for OCing and they don't have a sign on the front dooror somewhere at the entrance forbidding firearms, and you have the time spend if you are harrassed I suggest you try it.

EM87

imported post

I was asked to leave the Meijer on Westnedge in Portage about a week ago. The guy was real nice but said it was corporate policy. I'd also be interested to hear what corporate has to say.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I think a letter to corporate signed by 450 + people who will now be taking all their business to Walmart might get their attention? hmmm
They have 189 store locations, roughly half in this state, according to wikepedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meijer\

I rarely go there, since I do most of my shopping at Kroger, health food stores, Cabelas, Dunhams, and Army Navy stores. But I agree it couldn't hurt to give the corporate people a little piece of our minds if they don't give us a positive response.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Michigander wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
I think a letter to corporate signed by 450 + people who will now be taking all their business to Walmart might get their attention? hmmm
They have 189 store locations, roughly half in this state, according to wikepedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meijer

I rarely go there, since I do most of my shopping at Kroger, health food stores, Cabelas, Dunhams, and Army Navy stores. But I agree it couldn't hurt to give the corporate people a little piece of our minds if they don't give us a positive response.
Do we know what Dunham's Corp Policy is on OC? I was going to contact them to determine sometime this week.

T Vance

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Do we know what Dunham's Corp Policy is on OC? I was going to contact them to determine sometime this week.
I wouldn't suggest contactinga company and asking them their policy unless you are asked to leave for OCing. Businesses might hear the phrase "Can I carry a gun into your store" and freak out, then just say "no". Let them see you open carrying in their store and realize that you don't pose a threat. I have OCed at the Dunham's in Ypsilanti several times now without incident.

sevenplusone

imported post

For what it's worth I didn't have an issue. Numerous employees saw me, but nobody seemed to care. The greeter at the front door was very friendly. Love shopping at 0130 when nobody else is there.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lonewolf0714 wrote:
I OC'd at the Meijer in Plainwell, Had no issues at all. Alot of employees noticed, but said nothing. Maybe I was lucky?

I've never had issues at that particular Meijer, or any other for that matter - for OCing.

-Zzz

hercprsound

imported post

T Vance wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
I wouldn't suggest contactinga company and asking them their policy unless you are asked to leave for OCing. Businesses might hear the phrase "Can I carry a gun into your store" and freak out, then just say "no". Let them see you open carrying in their store and realize that you don't pose a threat. .
You are absolutely right! Dont ask to use your rights, that puts your rights up for discussion. They arent inherintly to be discussed untill you need to defend them. =When this becomes the case, then stand up for it. Pe polite, courteous, open professional, smile, and above all know your facts.

Tewlbox

imported post

Very good advice on this! You hit the main two pointson the nose and it couldnt have been stated any better or more clear... "be polite and know your facts".

Always remember, when uninformed people get twitchy, slow down your speach to ensure that you are communicating clearly. Not to the point where they will feel you have downs, but be crystal clear in your efforts to get the point/info across without seeming cocky. Respect prompts respect!