• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restrictions requiring unloaded or disassembled firearms.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I decided it was better to continue this topic on its own thread rather than continue to highjack another topic- This discussion originated here....camsoup wrote:

ConditionThree wrote:
camsoup wrote:
nukechaser wrote:
I believe the salient point is that there isn't ammo "placed into a position from which it can be fired" if you have an empty magazine inserted into the magazine well.

However, make sure your full magazine is plainly visible. This is accomplished usually in a magazine carrier/pouch on your belt, just like your pistol. THIS IS IMPORTANT! A magazine is an integral part of a pistol. Carrying it with ammo in it in your pocket could potentially bring a concealed weapons violation (p.c. 12025).

If you are carrying a revolver you may carry speed loaders, bullets, etc. in your pocket without concern, 'cuz a speed loaded or moon clips are not an integral part of a revolver.
I wonder if some DA's in this state would try to argue that a cartridge is an integral part of a firearm, therefore making it illegal to even conceal moonclips, speedloaders, or loose cartridges....really without a cartridge you don't by definition have a fire arm??? :uhoh: its hard to make it go bang without a round of ammunition.

See- this is what I have been cogitating on. If the magazine is an integral part of a firearm and can be considered to be a 12025 "concealed weapon"- the same could be said of ammunition as the cartridges have as much to do with the firearm being a weapon as the magazine does. However, if it is not fully assembled and ready to fire, they can only be parts of a weapon... not a complete weapon outside being a makeshift bludgeon. So how then does the 2nd amendment apply to parts that are not assembled as an 'arm'? And if we are not allowed a fully assembled 'arm' what part of keep and bear are we able to practice?

I suspect at some time in the future that requirements to maintain an incomplete weapon (ie: unloaded, disassembled, or absent from ammunition.) will be ruled unConstitutional with the arguement that withsome or all ofthe integral machinery/parts removed, it eliminates the ability to use arms as they were intended since they cease to be mechanically effective.
I agree this would be a huge win for everyone....hopefully it would allow everyone to have a Loaded weapon, because without ammunition is it really a firearm?? With the right case I think this would be able to be settle with good case law....who wants to be the test subject? :what:

No one wants to be the test subject- however, I believe this will have to come up with any challenge to 12031, 626.9, 171 (b), or any yet to be revealed legislative redefinition making possession of both ammunition and the firearm by which it is discharged the equivelent to a loaded weapon...

SCOTUS ruled in Hellerthat requirements to lock up or disassemble a firearm in the home are unconstitutional. Now the trick is finding a means to extend 'keep and bear'beyond our home- this would eliminate the locked case requirement of 626.9.

The real problem in forwarding the concept that an unloaded firearm is a 'disassembled' firearm is that by definition (Calif PC), a firearm only need be designed as a weapon and expel a projectile with an explosion or other combustion.So we have laws stuck on this idea that a 'reciever' is a 'firearm', even if there is no other mechanism or aprojectile to discharge. I believe there must be a way to redefine 'firearm' through case law so that it cannot be construed to mean anything other than a completed weapon- one that includes all of its integral parts, including ammunition.

I suspect this test subject would come about as a result of a police contact in unicorporated territory where discharge is not regulated by local ordinance. If authorities should demand an (e) check under circumstances where there is no violation of the law, the question would certainly be raised as to whether 12031 was even constitutional.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Once we know for sure Heller is staying incorporated (after the en banc BS is over) we will probably see a challenge to the "criminal storage" statute.

Sadly, I predict this challenge will be "low hanging fruit" compared to a challenge of 12031...

ETA: somehow missed part of your post on my first read-through, specifically the part about applying Heller to 626.9.

I think you may be on to something there. And it's no stretch of logic. Same goes for using it against 12031, as we've discussed ad nauseum.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
On that 12031 check isnt there already precedents in US supreme Court?? Why isnt it being followed??
There's no precedent striking down 12031(e) specifically.

However, Terry addresses the issue of warrantless searches very thoroughly.

The problem is that in order to get good case law on 12031, we need a well-funded person to undergo prosecution, conviction, and appeal up to a fairly high level. (The CA Appeals Ct already has upheld 12031(e), so it would have to be appealed upward from there.)