• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rifle Magazine Capacity

gis

imported post

I apologize if this is obvious, but I am new to VA. I read in a few threads references to restrictions on rifle magazines holding more than 20 rounds. I haven't been able to find any legal references. Could someone please enlighten me.

Am I legal carrying loaded rifle magazines in my vehicle (separate from the rifle) everywhere in the state? Someone said that a CHP is needed for this. While I have several permits recognized by Virginia, I am not seeing the connection. Please help me understand.

Thanks.

GWRedDragon

imported post

You are exempt from this if you have a CHP, and it only applies in certain areas. Here is the code:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
There is no law preventing the ownership of such magazines, only the carry of such magazines in a loaded weapon in a public place.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

GW quicker on the draw

The code that covers magazine capacity is 18.2-274. Loaded mags separate from the weapon are fine everywhere not otherwise restricted like some federal lands. Carrying a loaded centerfire semiauto with >20 round magazine is prohibited in some cities and counties, see the list below, unless you have a CHP. Carrying any loaded longarm on the road is prohibited in several counties, see here to check on a particular county.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf