• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bluegrass fair

nick1207

imported post

i went to the bluegrass fair last night.. i was wondering why they post no CW?

KY_CCDW

imported post

The fair in my county posts "no firearms" signs. I spoke to a fair board member about it, and pointed out that the sign was illegal. She said "I really don't care what the law says, if you have the money for the lawyers, take us to court".

Well, I guess I'm going to have to take donations!

hotrod

imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:
The fair in my county posts "no firearms" signs. I spoke to a fair board member about it, and pointed out that the sign was illegal. She said "I really don't care what the law says, if you have the money for the lawyers, take us to court".

Ask her if she has heard of 42USC1983. That would be what you would file the lawsuit under if you are arrested for legally carrying. The AG of the Commonwealth has a posted opinion on county governments not being able to regulate any carry except into building owned or leased by the county.

KY_CCDW

imported post

hotrod wrote:
KY_CCDW wrote:

Ask her if she has heard of 42USC1983. That would be what you would file the lawsuit under if you are arrested for legally carrying. The AG of the Commonwealth has a posted opinion on county governments not being able to regulate any carry except into building owned or leased by the county.
I was told by a local cop the charge would be something like "disorderly conduct".:X

hotrod

imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:
hotrod wrote:
KY_CCDW wrote:

I was told by a local cop the charge would be something like "disorderly conduct".:X
KRS 525.060 would not apply to anything you were doing in legally carrying a firearm.

zer0cool

imported post

Disorderly Conduct or DC is when the antis or a LEO make a scene when a lawfully armed citizen is carrying a weapon. Plain and simple. Carrying a weapon isn't disorderly. Screaming HES GOT A GUN!!!!, calling 911, or a LEO pointing a weapon at a lawfully armed citizen and ordering him to the ground and then arresting him because he has a holstered weapon. THAT IS DISORDERLY CONDUCT!

mellio

imported post

Are these county fairs actually put on by the counties or is the property rented by the fair promoters? If it is rented by a private company they may have the right to ask you not to carry while on the property they have rented. Just wondering.

langzaiguy

imported post

A person is guilty of disorderly conduct in the first degree when he or she:
(a) In a public place and with INTENT to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or wantonly creating a risk thereof:
1. Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior;
2. Makes unreasonable noise; or
3. Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act that serves no legitimate purpose; and

I believe that a person is guilty of DC only when the intent is there. And, of course, peaceably exercising one's rights is no where near DC.

Another note: this particular fair is put on by the Lion's Club. They can probably ask someone to leave.

Statesman

imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:

Any idea how much an effort like this would cost? I'd be willing to donate to get the signs taken down to deal with the boards arrogance.

hotrod

imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:
Statesman wrote:
So what would happen if you just OC at the fair? They call the police, and they come and find no law is being broken?
Disorderly Conduct charge.
Disorderly Conduct would not be a charge available to the police. If arrested, or detained without RAS the police would be open to a lawsuit under 42USC1983. Local, County and State property can not be posted as no carry. It is outside their scope.

Statesman

imported post

KY_CCDW wrote:
Statesman wrote:
So what would happen if you just OC at the fair? They call the police, and they come and find no law is being broken?
Disorderly Conduct charge.
We both know that doesn't apply, so it will get thrown out in court. I've heard this can be done with a court assigned defense attorney (or something). I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

This is where a video camera would become handy, showing no disorderly conduct of the OCer.

langzaiguy

imported post

I really do think we're missing the point here. Even though this is a public location, I'm sure the Lion's Club Fair gig is a private event and would have the authority to ask you to leave their event.

Now this is assuming the anti-gun signs are theirs--not the parks. Are the signs in the park year round?

hotrod

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I really do think we're missing the point here. Even though this is a public location, I'm sure the Lion's Club Fair gig is a private event and would have the authority to ask you to leave their event.

Now this is assuming the anti-gun signs are theirs--not the parks. Are the signs in the park year round?
No they wouldn't have the authority. The property is owned by either a local, county, or state governments. They can not infringe on your rights by assigning the property to someone else. The Commonwealth AG opined on this with Louisville in 1998 when Louisville established a park through a trust and tried to claim the trust was a privately owned corporation. It didn't fly.

Statesman

imported post

This is why I am an advocate of taking donations for an "OC defense fund", whereby if you become a member and donate, a selected board of members would decide if the funds would be used for another members defense, in case our rights are violated. Then, there wouldn't be as much of a hit on a persons finances to defend oneself in court against a bogus D.O. charge, or something else.

hotrod

imported post

Statesman wrote:
This is why I am an advocate of taking donations for an "OC defense fund", whereby if you become a member and donate, a selected board of members would decide if the funds would be used for another members defense, in case our rights are violated. Then, there wouldn't be as much of a hit on a persons finances to defend oneself in court against a bogus D.O. charge, or something else.
Not a bad idea. You would need to establish a committee to determine what cases to provide funds to and a lawyer to help at an amount affordable.