• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The 'Wild East'

Sonora Rebel

imported post

12 people have been shot (variously) in the Baltimore metro area in the past week. That's worse than the old 'Wild West' was in it's 'Wildest'. Yet... Marylanders are still prohibited from self defense carry openly... with only a few select 'Unicorns' blessed by the State Police cop Pope to conceal.

I find it hard to believe the amount of animosity against the 2A there in the midst of an obvious need. Why is this?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The MD Police fear the GUN not the person using it.

They live in a fantasy world where there are little to no guns on the street and every gun a law abiding citizen purchases becomes one gun they have to rid the streets of.

I think it's quite political. It's HARD to get guns from criminals. It's much easier to get them from law abiding citizens willing to obey the laws imposed upon them. You see all the gun violence, so the police take steps to make gun headlines. No, not actually rid the street of guns, just make headlines to make it look like they're doing something.

Tim

9MM Owner

imported post

Maryland's a sad state to live in. Any state where "You candie but it's against the law to protect yourself" is just un-American. And I thought that Congress was the only place run by dimwit dumasses.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
Maryland's a sad state to live in. Any state where "You candie but it's against the law to protect yourself" is just un-American. And I thought that Congress was the only place run by dimwit dumasses.
What's worse... Marylanders keep electing these same dimwit dumasses time after time after time ad nauseum. You get the government you deserve.

9MM Owner

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
9MM Owner wrote:
What's worse... Marylanders keep electing these same dimwit dumasses time after time after time ad nauseum. You get the government you deserve.

All signs at the Maryland state line should read,

"Welcome to Maryland

Enter at your own risk

Self defense IS illegal"

HAVE A NICE DAY

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

9MM Owner wrote:
All signs at the Maryland state line should read,

"Welcome to Maryland

Enter at your own risk

Self defense IS illegal"

HAVE A NICE DAY

:D

Neighboring states could put the signs just inside their own border!!

Heck, you could maybe even get a billboard with that message.

virginiatuck

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
12 people have been shot (variously) in the Baltimore metro area in the past week. That's worse than the old 'Wild West' was in it's 'Wildest'. Yet... Marylanders are still prohibited from self defense carry openly... with only a few select 'Unicorns' blessed by the State Police cop Pope to conceal.

I find it hard to believe the amount of animosity against the 2A there in the midst of an obvious need. Why is this?
I get the impression that criminality is a tolerated profession in Maryland. Perhaps they're trying to protect the families of the criminals; believing that the benefit of the number of people housed and fed by the proceeds of crime outweighs the risk to the victims of such crimes.:question: :banghead:

Maybe they have such little faith in their criminal justice system and there are just too many active criminals who are not "prohibited persons." And possession of a firearm is the only way they can tell which ones are the criminals. It gives them a "reason" to check a person out.:question: :banghead:

Maybe someone or a group of someones with political power profits greatly from the underground gun trade in Maryland. To ease gun restrictions would cut into their profits.:question: :banghead:

Sometimes there is just ignorance, stupidity, apathy, and even brainwashing from a young age. Many people (I don't know if it's a majority or not) trust the laws that were there before they were born. I do frequently meet people who just so happen to have a viewpoint about firearms that precisely matches the firearm laws of their native home.:question: :banghead:

I don't know...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
...and that is why I was a Marylander by birth, and am now Virginian by choice!
Marylander by birth... Desert Cowboy by temperment! ;)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I get the impression that criminality is a tolerated profession in Maryland. Perhaps they're trying to protect the families of the criminals; believing that the benefit of the number of people housed and fed by the proceeds of crime outweighs the risk to the victims of such crimes.:question: :banghead:

Maybe they have such little faith in their criminal justice system and there are just too many active criminals who are not "prohibited persons." And possession of a firearm is the only way they can tell which ones are the criminals. It gives them a "reason" to check a person out.:question: :banghead:

Maybe someone or a group of someones with political power profits greatly from the underground gun trade in Maryland. To ease gun restrictions would cut into their profits.:question: :banghead:

Sometimes there is just ignorance, stupidity, apathy, and even brainwashing from a young age. Many people (I don't know if it's a majority or not) trust the laws that were there before they were born. I do frequently meet people who just so happen to have a viewpoint about firearms that precisely matches the firearm laws of their native home.:question: :banghead:

I don't know...

Good points all. "Sometimes there is just ignorance, stupidity, apathy, and even brainwashing from a young age."

You wouldn't believe the ignorance, stupidity, apathy and disinformation regarding carrying 'handguns' among some Marylanders... Baltimorians in particular. Then again.... you prob'ly would. Some are blithly unaware that all of the neighboring states are OC... much less CC. Maryland is a very pedestrian culture... They don't get out much. Not the city people anyway. Yeah... I'm 'from there' but I've never been 'of there'. 'Lived too many other places for way too long to have been 'steeped in stupid'.

Chaingun81

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:

I don't know...

Good points all. "Sometimes there is just ignorance, stupidity, apathy, and even brainwashing from a young age."

You wouldn't believe the ignorance, stupidity, apathy and disinformation regarding carrying 'handguns' among some Marylanders... Baltimorians in particular. Then again.... you prob'ly would. Some are blithly unaware that all of the neighboring states are OC... much less CC. Maryland is a very pedestrian culture... They don't get out much. Not the city people anyway. Yeah... I'm 'from there' but I've never been 'of there'. 'Lived too many other places for way too long to have been 'steeped in stupid'.
It's interesting you brought it up. I was talking about the same with my co-worker whois a proud gun owner and Utah CC permit holder but unlucky enough to be stillliving in MD.We were trying to figure out why MD gun laws are that bad.A lot of people say it's North-Eastern culture, butI don't really buy that.

There are plenty ofNorth Eastern states withgun laws ranging from decent to very good- VT, DE, PA,NH, even CT.There is no reason for MD to be the way it is. About half of my gun owning co-workers live in MD and they live in rather rural areas where everyone has guns. Is it just Baltimore dragging it down like NYC dragging down NY state? PA also has big cities but the gun laws there are way better. Hell knows why it's so different from most of it's neighbouring states - I just don't get it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It's a mind-set that's mostly prevalent in the Baltimore metro-DC area. It's culturally endemic. Many of these city people ain't all that bright... I know that from experience.

Chaingun81

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
It's a mind-set that's mostly prevalent in the Baltimore metro-DC area. It's culturally endemic. Many of these city people ain't all that bright... I know that from experience.

I bet.

It seems that the crime-ridden PG county has a lot to do with it too. I live and work in DC metro area on the VA side and while this place is certainly not the most friendly area for guns comparedwiththe rest of VA, it's still surprisingly tolerant. I don't mean legally (VA has state-wide preemption, so there isn't much local govts can do), I mean when you talk to random people outisde of gun circle.

I think the difference is that all of DC-metro area on VA side is pretty wealthy and successful, which can be only said about half of such area in MD. All the minority-populated crime-ridden areas tend to be severly anti-gun all around the country (yes, I know it's ridiculous since these are the places where you would most likely need a gun, but it's still a fact).

I may be wrong, but these are my observations.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
It seems that the crime-ridden PG county has a lot to do with it too. I live and work in DC metro area on the VA side and while this place is certainly not the most friendly area for guns comparedwiththe rest of VA, it's still surprisingly tolerant. I don't mean legally (VA has state-wide preemption, so there isn't much local govts can do), I mean when you talk to random people outisde of gun circle.

I think the difference is that all of DC-metro area on VA side is pretty wealthy and successful, which can be only said about half of such area in MD. All the minority-populated crime-ridden areas tend to be severly anti-gun all around the country (yes, I know it's ridiculous since these are the places where you would most likely need a gun, but it's still a fact).

I may be wrong, but these are my observations.

The local media have much to do with opinion forming... They've been puttin' out bad dope (or stone silence)for longer than I've been on the planet about gun anything.

In 2005 (I think it was) when VA decided to honor it's own Constitution and recognize the 'right' to openly bear arms... Two young guys were arrested the next day in Alexandria (I think it was) at a Starbucks for carryin' pistols. WTOP 'n the local papers never uttered a peep about it. The cops didn't know... Nobody told them either. There's people in Maryland NOW who have no freakin' idea that open carry isrecognized in the surrounding states. Not a clue! They're still all inna huff about CC... It's the only manner they can concieve of... "OPEN CARRY?" WHAT? :what:I've never seen that many people stuck on stupid in one place... other than Boston maybe. It's a level of xenophobia that's hard to describe.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yow! Yesterday... 17 shootings in Baltimore! 17! In ONE DAY!

That no gun thing is really workin' out for 'em there.

Chaingun81

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

It can't be, Sonora.MDers are not permitted to carry their guns loaded outside of their residence, so unless all 17 shootings happen in the shooter's residence, these news is just media lies.

I mean what kind of sick criminal would carry a loaded gun if he is not legally permitted to do so? I understand he can rob, rape or kill (he is a criminal after all - thats what they do, right?) but carry a gun illegally?!?!?! That's just impossible!!! :banghead:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Maybe they are just worried that a gun might hit the wolf boy, or whatever that
creature is in prince williams.:shock:

But with even the mayor a victim of rouge swat teams I am sure they don't
want to risk the police forces to LAC.

Drove 2 miles without my helmet, now have no reason to ever go back.

I just don't understand why people don't 'just get lucky' and use the perps
gun against him. After all he won't be contradicting any statements.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

Maybe Baltimore and Chicago have a little competition thing going on, to see who can rack up the most shootings in one day.

I've come to the conclusion that the anti-gun groups like the Brady Bunch, VPC, etc., are lobbying groups for the criminal element of our society. And the politicians that listen to those groups are part of that criminal element.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Been about 5 more shot/killedthe past few days. Oh... 'n a couple stabbings.

The 'Empty Holster' rally in Annapolis only attracted about 70 'carriers'... altho there were wives 'n kids that weren't counted. The participant sheet had 54 signatures. I dunno what it is... apathy, fear of being pegged a 'gun nut'... I dunno. There's a lot of hostiliy and unreasoned paranoia there.This comes from a couple generations of guns being considered 'illegal' in the minds of the sheep. It's a cultural hobble.