• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Holster Carry

smoking357

Banned
imported post

I am posting this here, because Oklahoma is a state in which only concealed carry is allowed. Please discuss the idea for its feasibility in Oklahoma. If your laws concerning what is "concealed" are similar to Florida's, this manner of carry might be a middle ground between concealed and full open.

In Florida, we are somewhat limited in our ability to show this reminder of force to power, as we cannot openly display our guns:

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.
--

(1)Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device.

Our weapons must be concealed:

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires: (2)"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Since I can't openly carry the gun, the next best course is to openly carry a holster, but the holster must "conceal
the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person." With cops being what they are, you are well advised to ensure that not a single atom from the gun is visible to the ordinary sight of another person.

To this end, I've purchased this holster:

s7_227842_imageset_01

It's a hard-shell holster for a Walther P38, but I'll see what else fits in it. It completely conceals and encases the gun, and it could as easily contain a cell phone and a hairbrush as it would a gun.

I'm planning on wearing it on a nylon duty belt, completely openly. If we can't have open carry, open holster carry might be the next best thing.

Now, I'm not going to stuff a gun down it, right away. I'm going to wear it a while and document the interactions with police here. I want to create a database of police interaction that evidences that police made a fuss about these holsters and found nothing in them but cell phones so that when we decide to switch over to carrying, there will be abundant documentation that a holster worn openly is not proof that the gun is not concealed from the ordinary view of another.

justgreg

imported post

Good Luck! Its hard to be on the "bleeding edge".

Police here in OK take the "I am licensed to carry and I am carrying" notification pretty well...ranges from "Why don't you let me go sit in my car, you put your weapon on the dash, and come back and let's visit for a bit" (OHP) to "No kidding, what you got man?!" of some local guys.

Back in CA where I'm from it would be "GUN! HE'S GOT A GUN!" and they show you theirs.

G.

okiephlyer

imported post

spiritof76 wrote:
I think "open holster carry" is a fantastic idea and commend you for it. Whenever and wherever it is illegal to exercise one's rights, I think people ought to do whatever they can to show their displeasure in the strongest way possible.

I have had the similar idea that in states where OC is banned that people should open carry those plastic replica "red guns" which look exactly like the real thing. If several hundred people all decided to do either of these ideas at the state capitol building in a mass protest, it might make a good news story ... especially if it was video recorded by a lot of people and put on YouTube.

justgreg wrote:
Good Luck! Its hard to be on the "bleeding edge".

Police here in OK take the "I am licensed to carry and I am carrying" notification pretty well.
Is it required by OK law to notify LEO's that you are carrying if they stop you, or merely "a good idea?"
Yes it is required. Title 21 section 1290.8 or page 5 of the OSBI handbook of concealed carry.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Carry the holster with nothing in it... 'See what happens w/o the obvious paranoid responses.

asnider123

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Carry the holster with nothing in it... 'See what happens w/o the obvious paranoid responses.

Awe heck, just get a nice leather fanny pack-type holster. everyone will know what it is, but nobody will even look twice (so long as you're not wearing a pink shirt) :celebrate

My gut has grown so much that an IWB holster is all but out of the question, I really want to get one of those for myself, honestly.

Rocky44

imported post

People seem to fear when they know someone is carrying a gun. I believe that if more people carried guns openly, there would be less crime. who would be stupid enough to walk in a place to rob it, knowing there were ten armed people inside.

cbxer55

imported post

That kind of goes the same for ccw states. Who would be stupid enough to rob a place not knowing how many folks "may" be packing heat? I don't know how many folk here in Oklahoma pack them. But I know that when my wife and I relocated here from CA in 2002, it was the first thing I got, #1 on my list of things to do once in a FREE state.

I rarely leave home without a gun on me now. Also usually a backup gun two knives, two flashlights, and two mags. for each gun. That is the minimum for me.

Robin47

imported post

It seems like a "Game Plan", why all these CCW's in other states.

Anytime you need the Governments Permission to Exersize your 2-Amed right

you already lot the battle and your freedom also.

Yeah ccw's are ok. But other the.nm "permission" which puts you under contract with

the one who gave you that permission, they also have the power and right

"according to law" to also take your right away.

This is really not just about ccw's or OC-ing but rather your freedom !

A brave person, just might file suit against these legislators, and demand their

Rightss. Sence nocitizen ever gotto "Vote on these laws" to begin with.

yet you have a National right to K & B Arms. Robin47