• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorders, videos, photos, and VA law

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was sort of kidding about the beach comment; but it's not too much of a stretch.  Taking pictures of kids with "lascivious intent" showing prohibited body parts is illegal.  A random kid getting in the picture you're taking of the in-laws is not a problem unless you've got some kind of lust thing going on for the in-laws.

Riana

imported post

user wrote:
A random kid getting in the picture you're taking of the in-laws is not a problem unless you've got some kind of lust thing going on for the in-laws.
Which represents an entirely different problem...

buster81

imported post

user wrote:
I was sort of kidding about the beach comment; but it's not too much of a stretch. Taking pictures of kids with "lascivious intent" showing prohibited body parts is illegal. A random kid getting in the picture you're taking of the in-laws is not a problem unless you've got some kind of lust thing going on for the in-laws.

I'm glad you were kidding about the beach.

The other part is still a little sketchy. The two or more pictures of a youngster with their bum showing seems a bit tough.Kids like to run around naked.

Oh well, I guess the government is there to help.

possumboy

imported post

I have not heard from him. I did call and request a status Thursday of last week.

I called again today, but it was after hours, requesting another status. I did leave a message requesting another update.

Is there anything I can do but sit and wait for them to do something?

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I must have missed something.  Explain again how it's in their interests to do anything or to respond in any way?  What were you expecting?  What's "MMM", by the way, I'm not familiar with that abbreviation, and what's their authority for telling you that you're not permitted to take pictures of your kids?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

user wrote:
SNIP "MMM",

"Million Mothers March(ers)" Anti-gun group.

They get really upset when honest, law-abiding citizens with cameras show up at their meetings on public property.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
SNIP "MMM",

They get really upset when honest, law-abiding citizens with cameras show up at their meetings on public property.
If you had included "cameras and/or recorders," you would have won the Understatement of the Month award and been automatically entered in the Understatement of the Year contest.

Please try again. :)

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'd like to see their reaction.  I looked at their website, and I had to wonder who's really behind it.  Their main thrust seems to be that guns are used in the commission of crimes, so the things that are already illegal require legislation.  A lot of apparently intentional mischaracterizations (e.g., "assault" and "semiautomatic" to refer to the same firearm) are used, as are misleading statistics (every day 85 people are killed by gun violence).  Since it appears to be propaganda designed to play on fear, I figure the million moms are the dupes, and someone's feeding them this stuff.  So who's really behind that thing.

I'd like to go to one of their events and watch what happens when people take pictures.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

user wrote:
I'd like to see their reaction. I looked at their website, and I had to wonder who's really behind it. Their main thrust seems to be that guns are used in the commission of crimes, so the things that are already illegal require legislation. A lot of apparently intentional mischaracterizations (e.g., "assault" and "semiautomatic" to refer to the same firearm) are used, as are misleading statistics (every day 85 people are killed by gun violence). Since it appears to be propaganda designed to play on fear, I figure the million moms are the dupes, and someone's feeding them this stuff. So who's really behind that thing.

I'd like to go to one of their events and watch what happens when people take pictures.
There is a thread on OCDO where MMM met at a library and got very insulting and threatening when cameras and recorders were seen in our hands.

Short on time today so maybe somebody else can link this.

Lately they have kept a lower profile; perhaps meeting in private facilities. I doubt they are done yet though and think we can expect to see a flurry of activity from them as the state general election approaches.

Yata hey

possumboy

imported post

user wrote:
I must have missed something. Explain again how it's in their interests to do anything or to respond in any way? What were you expecting? What's "MMM", by the way, I'm not familiar with that abbreviation, and what's their authority for telling you that you're not permitted to take pictures of your kids?

I'm not talking to the MMM, they were just a reference of the past issues we had on public property.

"They" are the Prince William County Park Authority. It is a "service" and should not ignore the people that they service. I was expecting they would do their job and serve the public. If I do not get an answer soon, I will take it to my county representative - I don't know if that will do any good or not.

It comes down to the fact, I cannot find an ordinance or regulation against it. The signs they have and the request they make may be unenforceable.

I also have problems with the fact that I see women taking pictures all the time. The only time I have seen someone asked to stop was when a man was taking the picture.

I have not been asked to stop. I have only been told that they do not allow it. Maybe they know it is unenforceable and do not say anything to me because I have already said something about it, I just don't know.

In summary. It is not the MMM telling me I cannot. It is Prince William County Park Authority's Dale City Rec Center that has signs saying I cannot take my camera to the pool area to take pictures of my kids during swim lessons through the county. They also say it is not allowed when I ask staff.

Well, they have moved from it not being allowed to they are looking into it and they only ask when people complain. Since I have started asking questions, I have not been able to get a direct answer on if it is allowed or not.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm beginning to wonder what the problem is Possumboy. They told you not to take pictures of your kids. I understand that. So what?

Was it a cop...if not, tell them to F Off.

I have people tell me not to do things all the time. I'm well pratcised inm telling them to F off ...or just ignoring them.

The Richmond police told me not to take their pictures at the Coliseum.

rcop.jpg

Thundar

imported post

We are all registered on the OCDO.COM Forum which IMHO is a great news and Information Service.

Lets make up our own press cards.

Suggested format(Copy and paste into a word doc and shrink the margins to make it the size of a card. Use a color, watermark, etc. Laminate and hang aroundyour neck.

Open Carry Dot Org Press Card[/b]

(Name)[/b]

To all Chief Law Enforcement Officers, Fire and EMS Chiefs, their appointed representatives and Peace Officers, greetings. This card certifies that the owner is a member of a recognized news and information service. We ask your cooperation in observing the cardholders status as recognized by §15.2-1714, §27-15.1 and §46.2-890

[/b]:lol:

Sheriff

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
but... I am not allowed to be naked in my car, therefore no expectation of privacy.
I know what you are saying, but it's not quite accurate. You can ride around naked all night in your car as long as nobody sees anything that would amount to an indecent exposure charge. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
but... I am not allowed to be naked in my car, therefore no expectation of privacy.
I know what you are saying, but it's not quite accurate. You can ride around naked all night in your car as long as nobody sees anything that would amount to an indecent exposure charge. :D
Does that then mean I am not OCing if there is not somebody there to see it.? :)

Yata hey

Sheriff

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Does that then mean I am not OCing if there is not somebody there to see it.? :)

Yata hey

Technically, yes.

Open Carry means in plain view. There's nobody to "view" it. :D

If a tree falls in the woods, and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound?

The answer is ~no~. Sound as we know it is vibration, transmitted to our senses through the mechanism of the ear, and recognized as sound only at our nerve centers. The falling of the tree or any other disturbance will produce vibration of the air. If there be no ears to hear, there will be no sound.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
peter nap wrote:
The Richmond police told me not to take their pictures at the Coliseum.
Trust me, this command or thought is going to tested in Virginia courts real soon.

See this link, and read the blog listed in the link.

Going to be a very interesting case to follow.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/29292.html

Been tested a number of times. Anyone can be charged witha petty crime. Now the question is....can the cops career survive the aftermath.

Probably not. He'll likely wind up posting anti cop rhetoric because he fu%^ up and got fired.

User stated it well:

This is precisely why I object to "selective incorporation" of Bill of Rights principles as "substantive due process" ("substantive" and "process" are not the same kind of thing at all, it's sort of like saying "boiling ice") by way of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The way the law is right now, that person has an absolute right to speak her mind and to publish information any way she sees fit. First amendment as funnelled through the Fourteenth.

Before the Supreme Court started trying to subordinate the states to the U.S. by means of the due process clause, this would have been an issue of state law alone. Congress could not have told her not to publish, but there's no reason why a state couldn't create a statute that says something like, "thou shalt not take pictures of cops."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
SNIP "MMM",

If you had included "cameras and/or recorders," you would have won the Understatement of the Month award and been automatically entered in the Understatement of the Year contest.

Yata hey

I don't know about recorders. I just know that they got really bent out of shape when NakedShoplifter set up his DVR.

Also, they were pretty rude to people carrying guns. You wouldn't know they think guns are evil and make people dangerous from the way they treated some of the OCers.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
SNIP "MMM",

Yata hey

I don't know about recorders. I just know that they got really bent out of shape when NakedShoplifter set up his DVR.

Also, they were pretty rude to people carrying guns. You wouldn't know they think guns are evil and make people dangerous from the way they treated some of the OCers.
The word is snippy Citizen. Soccer Moms and crusaders....get snippy