• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cities banning firearms in City Council chambers?

Bader

imported post

Would the following be a violation of the state preemption law? I'm trying to figure out if a city can rightfully ban firearms in the city council chambers. It's not really important, because I'm not planning on visiting the city council in their chambers anytime soon, but more so just a general question on the legalities of this.

Firearms prohibited – Additional places – Penalty. (1)It is unlawful for a person to enter the following places when the person knowingly possesses or knowingly has under the person’s control a firearm:
(a)The council chambers of the Des Moines city council; or
(b)The courtroom of the Des Moines municipal court.
(2)The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(a)A person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments, while engaged in official duties;
(b)Commissioned law enforcement personnel; or
(c)Security personnel while engaged in official duties.
(3)A violation of or failure to comply with this section is a misdemeanor

j2l3

imported post

This is legal... IF... the city council chambers share an area of the building with the court ... AND... cannot be separated from the court without compromising the sterile area containing the court facilities.

Bader

imported post

That's interesting. From what I remember, Des Moines City Council is in the same building as the court, but not the same room. I know the City Council is always butting in with court business there though.

j2l3

imported post

The question really comes down to... do they share a common hallway that is behind the metal detectors... if so, you will be hard pressed to challenge this one.

If not, if they are separated and have their own entrance to the building, then the code is in question.

Bader

imported post

Nope.. they don't share a common hallway. The court has it's own door, and the city hall, which includes the city council, has it's own door, but the two buildings also share a door that connect.