• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An open carry solution: the "Bridgeport Rig"?

Jim March

imported post

See also:

http://bridgeportrig.com/

It would be pretty easy to make various clones of that, even homebrew. For example, replace the hammer pin in just about any wheelgun with something custom that has a thread sticking out the side, screw a brass drawer knob onto that, and build a kydex version of the retention plate easily enough.

Another option: at least one outfit was making "Kydex" holsters out of a material called "Cleardex" (spelling error possibly?) which is sorta transparent heavy-duty plastic that can be molded like Kydex. A gun in something like that would be hard to dismiss as "concealed"?

Johnny_B

imported post

Jim March wrote:
See also:

http://bridgeportrig.com/

It would be pretty easy to make various clones of that, even homebrew. For example, replace the hammer pin in just about any wheelgun with something custom that has a thread sticking out the side, screw a brass drawer knob onto that, and build a kydex version of the retention plate easily enough.

Another option: at least one outfit was making "Kydex" holsters out of a material called "Cleardex" (spelling error possibly?) which is sorta transparent heavy-duty plastic that can be molded like Kydex. A gun in something like that would be hard to dismiss as "concealed"?

I think something like that fits into the realm of competition shooting, I would NEVER carry something like that, absolutely no control of your gun in a grab situation. The BG would have total control of your gun. the grabber could start shooting as soon as he touched it and probably, if enough leverage is put on it, bend the steel and free the gun as a BG doesn't care if he hurts you...

Don't like it, but cool design, like he said it was an 1800s design outlaws and lawmen used, not quite the same walmart/restaurant/mall carry we have today where we have a lot more people around us day to day.

Also his comment of "If your uh...stupid enough you uh...can fire it from the hip."

In many training scenario's LEO and even some military training hip firing is REQUIRED many departments train in CQB hip fire when entering a room...

That comment alone turned me away from this guy...good product, was good for it's time, but again, I wouldn't dare wear it because I think that it's reckless and negligent on anyone who would OC with something like that.

Jim March

imported post

Yeah, but the design could be modified into something more sane. Example: turn the "slot" vertical and set up a cross-pin of some sort that retains it until pulled. So the fastest draw is two-handed, pull the pin out "crossdraw" with your off hand, draw the gun strong-hand. Speed wouldn't be badly affected, concealment would be the same.

This would also eliminate the gun popping out if you sat down.

Johnny_B

imported post

Jim March wrote:
Yeah, but the design could be modified into something more sane. Example: turn the "slot" vertical and set up a cross-pin of some sort that retains it until pulled. So the fastest draw is two-handed, pull the pin out "crossdraw" with your off hand, draw the gun strong-hand. Speed wouldn't be badly affected, concealment would be the same.

This would also eliminate the gun popping out if you sat down.

It would need a lot of tweaking, that and I'm not a revolver person, semi-auto for me all the way :)