• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Child shoots intruder during home invasion

compmanio365

imported post

http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=10741492

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.
Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.
Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door.The two young children,a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.
In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital by a third suspect, who is a 15-year-old juvenile. Once they got to the hospital, they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.
Each man is held on $150,000 bond.The juvenile, was taken to a local detention center.One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.
Both men will appear before a judge next month.

[line]
Good that the kid knew where it was and had the prescene of mind to know what he needed to do to protect himself and his sister. More kids need to be taught respect and the proper way to handle a firearm, not that they are the devil incarnate and that they are to be shunned. A firearm saved the lives of this kid and his sister....what do the antis have to say about this? I've heard nothing.

shad0wfax

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:

[line]
Good that the kid knew where it was and had the prescene of mind to know what he needed to do to protect himself and his sister.  More kids need to be taught respect and the proper way to handle a firearm, not that they are the devil incarnate and that they are to be shunned.  A firearm saved the lives of this kid and his sister....what do the antis have to say about this?  I've heard nothing.

The antis have nothing to say about this at all. This story proves the following:[*] Kids with access to guns are capable of defending themselves without hurting themselves.[*] Trigger locks, biometric safes and other child-safety devices may have made the self-defense of this young boy impossible.[*] Victims of violent crime who use a firearm to defend themselves don't always become overpowered, even if their assailants are larger than them and outnumber them.[*] Victims of violent crime who use a firearm to defend themselves don't always have a weapon malfunction in the heat of the moment.[*] Victims of violent crime who use a firearm to defend themselves don't always have the weapon turned against them, even if their assailant(s) is(are) larger than them.[*] Victims of violent crime who use a firearm to defend themselves don't have to be state-certified crack-shots or have extensive LEO style training to be proficient enough to defend themselves.

This new story refutes several of the arguments I've heard from the Brady Campaign.

8th ID

imported post

This story will NEVER see national coverage:cuss:This whole scenario goes against all that the anti's regurgitate daily...

The anti's CANNOT allow this to get out, the media will bury it...:banghead:

Ironbar

imported post

OK, great for the kids in that they defended themselves, but WTF kind of mom would leave their eight and ten yeard kids at home alone for any reason? There are NO options for these kids to be with SOMEone while she's at work??

rpyne

imported post

Ironbar wrote:
OK, great for the kids in that they defended themselves, but WTF kind of mom would leave their eight and ten yeard kids at home alone for any reason? There are NO options for these kids to be with SOMEone while she's at work??
Based on the information about Port Allen on city-data.com, Port Allen is a suburb of Baton Rouge. The population is made up of mostly low to mid income blue collar workers and it has an above national average crime rate.

It is fairly common for lower income parents to leave their pre-teen children at home alone while at work. In many cases, there is no other option. This is especially true for single parents who don't live close to other family members. From the information given, I would be willing to bet that this a single mother with no family in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is right to leave young children home alone, I'm just saying don't judge someones actions until you have lived in their situation.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Ironbar wrote:
Boy times have changed, when I was a kid around 8, I was left alone, never burnt down the house, liked watching Scooby doo and get candy for me and my brother and sisters from the corner mart.

It's up to parents to judge what their kids can handle. Some you can leave some you can't the actions of this young 'un shows why his parent was able to trust leaving him alone.

ScottyT

imported post

My parents would go out at least once a week and they stopped getting us babysitters as soon as my oldest sibling was 10. We certainly never had any problems and turned out just fine.

protias

imported post

The kids did a good job. I just hope the mom doesn't get charged with leaving a loaded firearm near where a minor can get a hold of it.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I agree with teaching proper gun control early... use both hands, son!

9j15hf.jpg

rpyne

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I agree with teaching proper gun control early... use both hands, son!

9j15hf.jpg
Sorry, but the RSO training is coming out, he should be standing behind the firing line, not in front of it. Let's teach them safety as well.

JSlack7851

imported post

Most families spend more time training their dogs than their children. I would like to see more family training. Now that would be good for the economy. How about a tax break for firearms training? What about the effect it would have on the crime rate.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JSlack7851 wrote:
Most families spend more time training their dogs than their children.
That is an excellent point.

I took it upon myself to train the whole neighborhood. I'm the cool dad... Every weekend there are at least a half dozen kids at my place burning up .22lr to .308.

I can't afford it. But it's worth it.

I used to have lots of pics and videos, but the local constabulary shut down my youtube and flickr, and came a knocking just about every day...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
What legal grounds did he have? Out of curiosity.
I never found out. Most major online names yield to intimidation and love to talk about how they always 'cooperate with authorities.' So, it's carte blanche, there... Technology firms are notoriously left-fringe. 20 years of IT taught me that.... I'd be making money hand over fist if it weren't for that unspoken rule.

ocgso

imported post

protias wrote:
The kids did a good job. I just hope the mom doesn't get charged with leaving a loaded firearm near where a minor can get a hold of it.

And that is the problem in many states....

In NC, you must sign a form when you purchase a handgun saying that you understand you will be held criminally liable if a minor gains access to your firearms and does anything bad with them.

Hopefully some inflated prosecutor doesn't go after mom with a bogus charge like that.

My 2 cents