• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT-support the Vitter/Thune amendment

Weave

imported post

I just got an alert from the NRA. Apparently the Senate will be voting on the Thune/vitter amendment that allows national reciprocity of CPL's. I just sent letters to Senators Murray and Cantwell urging them to support the amendment. (Although Im not holding my breath)

Here is the alert

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5063

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Will this do the trick? I just sent it to both Senators and my Representative.
:monkey:monkey:monkey

As a resident of your state and a Navy Veteran who gave 14 years of his life supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States, I strongly urge you to support the Vitter/Thune Amendment concerning national reciprocity of Concealed Carry Permits, known as a Concealed Pistol License in the state of Washington.

freeafrog

imported post

Weave wrote:
I just got an alert from the NRA. . (Although Im not holding my breath)

I received one from GOA, my wife didn't get one from the NRA for some reason.

Welikewise emailed both senators. They, at least have a C rating with GOA. I also asked not to vote for Sotomayor (not hopeful here) since she has made clear that she doesn't believe the second ammendment applies to the states nor does she believe we have a right to self-defense. Doesn't affect us here in WA for now. Seems like Western WA is a lot more gun friendly than Eastern WA

FMCDH

imported post

Bookman wrote:
I have a problem with the NRA-ILA alerts going to my junk mail folder, no matter how I try to designate them as safe.
Set an in-box rule, it will override any junk filters for the specific sender.

SANDRAT

imported post

freeafrog wrote:
Weave wrote:
I just got an alert from the NRA. . (Although Im not holding my breath)

I received one from GOA, my wife didn't get one from the NRA for some reason.

Welikewise emailed both senators. They, at least have a C rating with GOA. I also asked not to vote for Sotomayor (not hopeful here) since she has made clear that she doesn't believe the second ammendment applies to the states nor does she believe we have a right to self-defense. Doesn't affect us here in WA for now. Seems like Western WA is a lot more gun friendly than Eastern WA
I don't know what part of e.WA you are talking about,but the Seattle area is an anti gun,liberal cesspool.NCW,the Wenatchee area is one of the most gun friendly places around.

j2l3

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
I don't know what part of e.WA you are talking about,but the Seattle area is an anti gun,liberal cesspool.NCW,the Wenatchee area is one of the most gun friendly places around.

While I agree that our elected officials are lacking, our PD knows the law and very few times are open carriers bothered. We have many members here who can attest to that along with a few pictures.

However, Everett, which is one of the cities you claim in your profile has had many more issues with it than Seattle has.

shad0wfax

imported post

Bookman wrote:
I have a problem with the NRA-ILA alerts going to my junk mail folder, no matter how I try to designate them as safe.

Try adding the NRA-ILA outgoing mail address to your contact list and see if that clears it up.

Weave

imported post

This was my response from Senator Murray,

Thank you for writing to me regarding S1618, Senator Thune (R-SD)amendment to provide for uniform reciprocity for concealed weapon possession across the country. It is good to hear from you.

Senator Thune's amendment would allow gun owner with a right to carry concealed weapon in one state the right to carry a concealed weapon across the United States.Like you, I am concerned about the level of violence in this countryand its effect on our families and communities.Legislation to regulate the use of firearms is and should remain a state issue I believe that our national crime fighting strategy should include reasonable measures to control firearms that strike a balance between reducing street crime and maintaining individual rights.

As a U.S. Senator, I have supported common sense measures to reduce or restrict gun violence while posing the least possible inconvenience to law-abiding gun owners. Please know that the Senate considers this and other firearms legislation,I will keep your concerns regarding this important issue in mind. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my updates at]http://murray.senate.gov/updates[ Thank you again for writing, and please keep in touch.]

To which I replied:

Dear Senator Murray,

Thank you for your prompt response to my email on theThune/Vitter amendment. I was, however, confused by your response.You never really answered the question as to your support or lack thereof of the forementionedamendment.I noticed you used the ideathat "legislation to regulate the use of firearms is and should remain primarily a state issue". Yet, your staunch support for the "Brady Bill" and Clinton ban on "Assault Weapons" would seem to indicate otherwise.

I hope you can clarify your position and pending vote on this amendment. Myself and thousands of other Washington gun owners will be closely watching the success or failure of this.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Bookman wrote:
Will this do the trick? I just sent it to both Senators and my Representative.
:monkey:monkey:monkey

As a resident of your state and a Navy Veteran who gave 14 years of his life supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States, I strongly urge you to support the Vitter/Thune Amendment concerning national reciprocity of Concealed Carry Permits, known as a Concealed Pistol License in the state of Washington.

I received this reply today from my Representative:

July 21, 2009
Dear Jon

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Allow me to begin by saying that I support the Second Amendment and believe that individuals have the right to own guns, whether it be for recreation or self-defense. With that said, I also support reasonable laws to ensure guns do not get in the hands of criminals or children. To this end I believe that this is an issue that is best monitored and controlled on the state and local level.

As you may know, H.R. 197 was introduced by Representative Cliff Stearns on January 6, 2009. This legislation would amend title 18 of the United States Code to provide a national standard to allow non-residents of a State to carry concealed firearms. Currently, the laws and reciprocity of concealed weapon permits vary by state. For example, Washington state residents who have a permit to carry a concealed weapon also have their permits recognized by 17 other states. However, other states which do not have a reciprocity agreement with Washington may require a permit for concealed carrying, some will not issue such permits to non-residents, and others prohibit such carrying in general.

Currently H.R. 197 has been referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security in the House Committee on the Judiciary. Although I do not sit on this Subcommittee please know that I will monitor the progress of this legislation and will keep your thoughts in mind if it should come to the House floor for a vote.

Preserving Second Amendment rights is very important to me. While I support preserving these rights for law-abiding citizens, I believe that we must make an effort to keep guns away from violent criminals, children, and the mentally ill, or in other words, people who do not have the right to possess a gun. However, our efforts to keep guns away from such people should never infringe on the rights of others to own a gun. Throughout my tenure in Congress I have voted accordingly.

Again, thank you for contacting me in support of Second Amendment Rights. I look forward to continuing to advocate on behalf of the rights of the many gun owners in the 9th District and to ensure the federal firearms policy strikes an appropriate balance between liberty and safety that does not unduly infringe upon the rights of those who choose to lawfully own firearms.

If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
Adam Smith
Member of Congress

SANDRAT

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:

While I agree that our elected officials are lacking, our PD knows the law and very few times are open carriers bothered. We have many members here who can attest to that along with a few pictures.

However, Everett, which is one of the cities you claim in your profile has had many more issues with it than Seattle has.
My shop/apartment is actually S.Everett,I usually CC as I have enough hassles with edjucating people about my SVC Dog.In Leavenworth,I actually field stripped and repaired an AR15 on a picnic table outside the Heidelberger Restaurant,no hassles,they are very gun friendly and outdoors people.Great Food too.

EOD

imported post

I was just watching CSPAN and the Thune Amendment failed. Don't know the vote, but it didn't make it.

Weave

imported post

It got 58 yeas, 60 were needed...of course Murray and Cantwell voted no...PATHETIC

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Question: On the Amendment (Thune Amdt. No. 1618 ) Vote Number: 237 Vote Date: July 22, 2009, 12:01 PM Required For Majority: 3/5 Vote Result: Amendment Rejected

Grouped by Home State
Alabama: Sessions (R-AL), Yea Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Alaska: Begich (D-AK), Yea Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Arizona: Kyl (R-AZ), Yea McCain (R-AZ), Yea
Arkansas: Lincoln (D-AR), Yea Pryor (D-AR), Yea
California: Boxer (D-CA), Nay Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Colorado: Bennet (D-CO), Yea Udall (D-CO), Yea
Connecticut: Dodd (D-CT), Nay Lieberman (ID-CT), Nay
Delaware: Carper (D-DE), Nay Kaufman (D-DE), Nay

Florida: Martinez (R-FL), Yea Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Georgia: Chambliss (R-GA), Yea Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Hawaii: Akaka (D-HI), Nay Inouye (D-HI), Nay
Idaho: Crapo (R-ID), Yea Risch (R-ID), Yea
Illinois: Burris (D-IL), Nay Durbin (D-IL), Nay
Indiana: Bayh (D-IN), Yea Lugar (R-IN), Nay
Iowa: Grassley (R-IA), Yea Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Kansas: Brownback (R-KS), Yea Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Kentucky: Bunning (R-KY), Yea McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Louisiana: Landrieu (D-LA), Yea Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Maine: Collins (R-ME), Yea Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Maryland: Cardin (D-MD), Nay Mikulski (D-MD), Not Voting
Massachusetts: Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting Kerry (D-MA), Nay

Michigan: Levin (D-MI), Nay Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Minnesota: Franken (D-MN), Nay Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay

Mississippi: Cochran (R-MS), Yea Wicker (R-MS), Yea
Missouri: Bond (R-MO), Yea McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
Montana: Baucus (D-MT), Yea Tester (D-MT), Yea
Nebraska: Johanns (R-NE), Yea Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Nevada: Ensign (R-NV), Yea Reid (D-NV), Yea
New Hampshire: Gregg (R-NH), Yea Shaheen (D-NH), Nay
New Jersey: Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
New Mexico: Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Udall (D-NM), Yea
New York: Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay Schumer (D-NY), Nay
North Carolina: Burr (R-NC), Yea Hagan (D-NC), Yea
North Dakota: Conrad (D-ND), Yea Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Ohio: Brown (D-OH), Nay Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Oklahoma: Coburn (R-OK), Yea Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Oregon: Merkley (D-OR), Nay Wyden (D-OR), Nay
Pennsylvania: Casey (D-PA), Yea Specter (D-PA), Nay
Rhode Island: Reed (D-RI), Nay Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay

South Carolina: DeMint (R-SC), Yea Graham (R-SC), Yea
South Dakota: Johnson (D-SD), Yea Thune (R-SD), Yea
Tennessee: Alexander (R-TN), Yea Corker (R-TN), Yea
Texas: Cornyn (R-TX), Yea Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Utah: Bennett (R-UT), Yea Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Vermont: Leahy (D-VT), Nay Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Virginia: Warner (D-VA), Yea Webb (D-VA), Yea
Washington: Cantwell (D-WA), Nay Murray (D-WA), Nay
West Virginia: Byrd (D-WV), Not Voting Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay

Wisconsin: Feingold (D-WI), Yea Kohl (D-WI), Nay
Wyoming: Barrasso (R-WY), Yea Enzi (R-WY), Yea

p2a1x7

imported post

Just out of curiosity, is it federal law that all states have to recognize other states' driver's license?

At least to me the amendment seemed like a good idea except when you consider that anti-gunners would probably push for another AWB since this would allow people to carry their guns in any state. In an ideal situation is would cause many states to repeal their constrictive laws, but I wouldn't plan on that happening.

Maybe if we got a pro gun gov he/she could reach out to other states to work it out without the federal government getting involved.