• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT-support the Vitter/Thune amendment

SANDRAT

imported post

I don't want to talk out my ass,but,are'nt we already reciprical with several states already?Also,I saw an ad awhile back,I believe Sams Gunshop in Everett offers ID and OR CPL License classes from time to time.

joeroket

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
I don't want to talk out my ass,but,are'nt we already reciprical with several states already?Also,I saw an ad awhile back,I believe Sams Gunshop in Everett offers ID and OR CPL License classes from time to time.

We are only reciprocal with 7 states but there are 17, I believe, that honor our permit.

FMCDH

imported post

joeroket wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:

We are only reciprocal with 7 states but there are 17, I believe, that honor our permit.
Actually, that would be 9 states that Washington has formal reciprocity with.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=7772

j2l3

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
We have a reciprical agreement with Idaho. No need to get their permit.

j2l3

imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
Maybe if we got a pro gun gov he/she could reach out to other states to work it out without the federal government getting involved.
The Governor doesn't enter into these agreements. The AG does. He's the one to lobby for more agreements.

joeroket

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:
We have a reciprical agreement with Idaho. No need to get their permit.
No we don't. They are one of the states that recognize all other state permits.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=7772

Thanks for correcting me FMCDH.

j2l3

imported post

Ahhh true... thanks for the correction. ANyway, paying for an Idaho safety class is a waste of time and money... if you have a permit from anywhere else.

p2a1x7

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
p2a1x7 wrote:
Maybe if we got a pro gun gov he/she could reach out to other states to work it out without the federal government getting involved.
The Governor doesn't enter into these agreements. The AG does. He's the one to lobby for more agreements.
Yeah, forgot about that. However, this isn't really something to lobby for. Our reciprocity law makes sense.

heresolong

imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
Our reciprocity law makes sense.
Except for the part that keeps us from getting reciprocity with a huge pile of states that would be perfectly happy to deal with us. The "issues permits to under 18" knocks out a bunch of states, and the part about a "mental health record" check knocks out a bunch of others.

p2a1x7

imported post

The solution would be to lower the age someone can own a pistol to 18 and issue CPL's to 18 year olds. And get rid of the mental health checks. If people can't legally get a CPL in Washington, why should we honor their CPL/CCW?

FMCDH

imported post

Actually, the example to follow would be Alaska's in my opinion.

Alaska became a 'default reciprocity' state.

They then adopted a permit process much like Utah and Florida, and aggressively sought reciprocity with other states for their residents.

Alaska's permit is recognized in 34 states! The most recognized in the country.
http://www.dps.alaska.gov/Statewide/PermitsLicensing/reciprocity.aspx

That's 2 more than both Florida and Utah which each have 32.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

That's exactly how a state should be looking after their residents IMHO. :)

Peacemaker

imported post

So why won't WA recognize GA? GA will recognize any state that recognizes it. I had to get a UT license to carry in WA.

FMCDH

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
So why won't WA recognize GA? GA will recognize any state that recognizes it. I had to get a UT license to carry in WA.
That's hard to say looking at the requirements for both states. Washington has a similar rule that any state that it recognizes must recognize Wa. State permits in return.

It could be some small difference in the issue laws that I am not seeing, OR it could just be that Wa. and Ga. have not sought it out with each other. Washington isnt known for soliciting other state on the matter, it pretty much waits for other states to come to it. (frown)

I'll have to look deeper into that.

joeroket

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Peacemaker wrote:
That's hard to say looking at the requirements for both states. Washington has a similar rule that any state that it recognizes must recognize Wa. State permits in return.

It could be some small difference in the issue laws that I am not seeing, OR it could just be that Wa. and Ga. have not sought it out with each other. Washington isnt known for soliciting other state on the matter, it pretty much waits for other states to come to it. (frown)

I'll have to look deeper into that.

The AG is supposed to send out a survey periodically that ask if their laws are in line with ours. If a state has laws in line with what we require for reciprocity but do not respond to the survey then there is no reciprocity agreement signed.

As for Georgia, they may be in the same boat as Texas as it is unclear whether they do a mental health check.

The bold portion leaves a doubt.

Certain criminal offenses may make you ineligible for a pistol permit, including felony convictions, drug
charges, weapons offenses, or forcible misdemeanors. Recent hospitalization in a mental health facility may
also make you ineligible.
There are also immigration requirements. Be prepared to provide proof of your
residency and citizenship at the Probate Court and/or Police Department.

We meet