Thread: First Open Carry (Thank you all)

Post imported post

After reading this message board over the weekend, I decided to open carry for the first time today in VA (I have done it before in AZ with a group of friends) in the past having friends present certainly helped my nervousness.

My first stop was to Guns and Ammo in Manassas to pick up a retention holster (since I did not own one), in my case I bought a BlackHawk SERPA.

No .45 ammo was available so I headed over to Virginia Arms (Where I purchased the gun back in 2001) , and also struck out there in the .45 ammo dept.

Once I got home I configured my new holster, walked around the house with it (to get comfortable) and a few hours later headed to Lowes/Best-Buy to pick up some items I needed.

A couple of hours later it was OC to Lowes withsome notice.

Followed by buying a recorder at Best-Buy

Post imported post

Welcome, its good to have you here.

Post imported post

Congrats PWC! I was quite anxious the first time as well, and even after that. I have found that as I cross more and more bridges, they get easier. I've been OC'ing for a few months now, and still got that "liberating" feeling this past weekend that I KNOW I will be able to defend myself if bad things come my way. I honestly can't believe I went without it for so long. Unfortunately (or fortunately in hindsight), it took a bad situation to get me into carrying all the time. Welcome!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Congrats next time you come to G&AW say hi to me.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Sounds like you're in the western end of PWC - so am I.

It does takea little time to get used to it, but before long, you'll find it's no big deal. I was in Lowes in Gainesville this weekend as well as other places in Manassas. I never have any problems and very few :what:.

Now watch. I just wrote "never" and just wait... I'll get a negative before you know it (heh, heh).

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

You guys don't need a permit to OC do you?

A Cop on another forum told me that you do, and I'm obviously NOT going to take his word for it :P

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:

A Cop on another forum told me that you do, and I'm obviously NOT going to take his word for it :P
    We don't need no stinkin' permits to OC.

Next time a cop tells you something about the law, ask him to provide the citation so you can read it. If he can't cite it he probably made it up - cops have little "cheat sheet" books with the laws that cover the situations they run into most often. It's supposed to prevent them from writing the wrong code section on the citation/ application for warrant.

PWC_Glock - congrats on your OC experiences in Virginia! Here you will not burn your hand (it's NOT a dry heat) like you might in Arizona.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Dustin wrote:

Next time a cop tells you something about the law, ask him to provide the citation so you can read it. If he can't cite it he probably made it up - cops have little "cheat sheet" books with the laws that cover the situations they run into most often. It's supposed to prevent them from writing the wrong code section on the citation/ application for warrant.

PWC_Glock - congrats on your OC experiences in Virginia! Here you will not burn your hand (it's NOT a dry heat) like you might in Arizona.

stay safe.

skidmark
    I figured as much, thanks

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:

Many here would say Police Officers don't know what they're talking about and shouldn't give advice. I disagree.

If I needed an expert opinion on:

Looking Snotty, Getting in the way, The best place to eat for free, How to make a living without working....The local cop would be my first pick.

Everything else should be taken from people who know what they're talking about! :P

No, we don't neeed no steenkin permit

Post imported post

Welcome PWC. My first OC was at the local Obama campaign headquarters! I was very nervous. Asked them for literature about his stance on the 2ndA. They didn't have any.

It gets easier. Just do it!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

Lie2me wrote:
    Congrats PWC! I was quite anxious the first time as well, and even after that. I have found that as I cross more and more bridges, they get easier. I've been OC'ing for a few months now, and still got that "liberating" feeling this past weekend that I KNOW I will be able to defend myself if bad things come my way. I honestly can't believe I went without it for so long. Unfortunately (or fortunately in hindsight), it took a bad situation to get me into carrying all the time. Welcome!
    Seems after a while you never second guess carry, but feel extremely un-easy about not carrying.

Post imported post

kennys wrote:
    Lie2me wrote:
    Seems after a while you never second guess carry, but feel extremely un-easy about not carrying.
    I feel "naked" if I walk out of the house without my pistol.
    The only decisions I have to make these days:
    OC or CC?
    One extra magazine or two?

I used to go out without extra magazines until I read the recent incident about the OCer in the Richmond convenience store.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

I heard that!!

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Dustin wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
    To qualify, at least in VA you don't need a permit to OC

Post imported post

Thanks all for the welcome.

I got to say it was very weird.

I found myself much more protective of my firearm then I ever did in the military/AZ. I knew someone would not run up and grab my firearm at the range neither would my friends in AZ.

At Best Buy/Lowes not so confident.

I found myself over paranoid making sure I protected my firearm by twisting my body, keeping a bent arm above my firearm just in case the little kid running down the aisle decided to grab it.

Heck I guarantee I was the most nervous one in the store.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

PWC_Glock wrote:
    SNIP Heck I guarantee I was the most nervous one in the store.
    That will pass as you do it more and more.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    This is our "permit":

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; Article I, Sec. 13 VA Constitution

Of course, if things deteriorate far enough, the gun becomes the permit.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Couldn't find ammo? I seem to recall seeing some .45 ACP at the Wal-mart here in Harrisonburg.

And I know I still have a big can I bought last year.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    PWC_Glock wrote:
    SNIP Heck I guarantee I was the most nervous one in the store.
    That will pass as you do it more and more.
    Good retention holster + tactical awareness + time = more relaxed, natural preparedness. Time/repetition is the key comfort element IMHO.

Try to catch one of the local OC dinners or met a couple of OCers for lunch - its good for your morale.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.