• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry (Thank you all)

PWC_Glock

imported post

After reading this message board over the weekend, I decided to open carry for the first time today in VA (I have done it before in AZ with a group of friends) in the past having friends present certainly helped my nervousness.

My first stop was to Guns and Ammo in Manassas to pick up a retention holster (since I did not own one), in my case I bought a BlackHawk SERPA.

No .45 ammo was available so I headed over to Virginia Arms (Where I purchased the gun back in 2001) , and also struck out there in the .45 ammo dept.

Once I got home I configured my new holster, walked around the house with it (to get comfortable) and a few hours later headed to Lowes/Best-Buy to pick up some items I needed.

A couple of hours later it was OC to Lowes withsome notice.

Followed by buying a recorder at Best-Buy

Lie2me

imported post

Congrats PWC! I was quite anxious the first time as well, and even after that. I have found that as I cross more and more bridges, they get easier. I've been OC'ing for a few months now, and still got that "liberating" feeling this past weekend that I KNOW I will be able to defend myself if bad things come my way. I honestly can't believe I went without it for so long. Unfortunately (or fortunately in hindsight), it took a bad situation to get me into carrying all the time. Welcome!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sounds like you're in the western end of PWC - so am I.

It does takea little time to get used to it, but before long, you'll find it's no big deal. I was in Lowes in Gainesville this weekend as well as other places in Manassas. I never have any problems and very few :what:.

Now watch. I just wrote "never" and just wait... I'll get a negative before you know it (heh, heh).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
You guys don't need a permit to OC do you?

A Cop on another forum told me that you do, and I'm obviously NOT going to take his word for it :p

We don't need no stinkin' permits to OC. :D

Next time a cop tells you something about the law, ask him to provide the citation so you can read it. If he can't cite it he probably made it up - cops have little "cheat sheet" books with the laws that cover the situations they run into most often. It's supposed to prevent them from writing the wrong code section on the citation/ application for warrant.

PWC_Glock - congrats on your OC experiences in Virginia! Here you will not burn your hand (it's NOT a dry heat) like you might in Arizona.

stay safe.

skidmark

Dustin

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Dustin wrote:

A Cop on another forum told me that you do, and I'm obviously NOT going to take his word for it :p

Next time a cop tells you something about the law, ask him to provide the citation so you can read it. If he can't cite it he probably made it up - cops have little "cheat sheet" books with the laws that cover the situations they run into most often. It's supposed to prevent them from writing the wrong code section on the citation/ application for warrant.

PWC_Glock - congrats on your OC experiences in Virginia! Here you will not burn your hand (it's NOT a dry heat) like you might in Arizona.

stay safe.

skidmark

I figured as much, thanks :cool:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dustin wrote:

Many here would say Police Officers don't know what they're talking about and shouldn't give advice. I disagree.

If I needed an expert opinion on:

Looking Snotty, Getting in the way, The best place to eat for free, How to make a living without working....The local cop would be my first pick.

Everything else should be taken from people who know what they're talking about! :p

No, we don't neeed no steenkin permit:lol:

riverrat10k

imported post

Welcome PWC. My first OC was at the local Obama campaign headquarters! I was very nervous. Asked them for literature about his stance on the 2ndA. They didn't have any.

It gets easier. Just do it!

kennys

imported post

Lie2me wrote:
Congrats PWC! I was quite anxious the first time as well, and even after that. I have found that as I cross more and more bridges, they get easier. I've been OC'ing for a few months now, and still got that "liberating" feeling this past weekend that I KNOW I will be able to defend myself if bad things come my way. I honestly can't believe I went without it for so long. Unfortunately (or fortunately in hindsight), it took a bad situation to get me into carrying all the time. Welcome!
Seems after a while you never second guess carry, but feel extremely un-easy about not carrying.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

kennys wrote:
Lie2me wrote:
Seems after a while you never second guess carry, but feel extremely un-easy about not carrying.

I feel "naked" if I walk out of the house without my pistol.
The only decisions I have to make these days:
OC or CC?
One extra magazine or two?

I used to go out without extra magazines until I read the recent incident about the OCer in the Richmond convenience store.

hsmith

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Dustin wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
To qualify, at least in VA you don't need a permit to OC :)

PWC_Glock

imported post

Thanks all for the welcome.

I got to say it was very weird.

I found myself much more protective of my firearm then I ever did in the military/AZ. I knew someone would not run up and grab my firearm at the range neither would my friends in AZ.

At Best Buy/Lowes not so confident.

I found myself over paranoid making sure I protected my firearm by twisting my body, keeping a bent arm above my firearm just in case the little kid running down the aisle decided to grab it.

Heck I guarantee I was the most nervous one in the store.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dustin wrote:

This is our "permit":

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; Article I, Sec. 13 VA Constitution

Of course, if things deteriorate far enough, the gun becomes the permit.

AbNo

imported post

Couldn't find ammo? I seem to recall seeing some .45 ACP at the Wal-mart here in Harrisonburg.

And I know I still have a big can I bought last year. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
PWC_Glock wrote:
SNIP Heck I guarantee I was the most nervous one in the store.
That will pass as you do it more and more.
Good retention holster + tactical awareness + time = more relaxed, natural preparedness. Time/repetition is the key comfort element IMHO.

Try to catch one of the local OC dinners or met a couple of OCers for lunch - its good for your morale.

Yata hey