• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here

jcbaxe

imported post

Hello, Jeff here, new to the whole open carry concept. I was just wondering if you all had heard about the guy who was killed at the Rampart shooting range the other day. I live in Colorado Springs and was thinking of trying out my new .45 up there until I heard about this tragedy. Any one know of a good safe shooting area for a relative beginner in the C.S. area besides Rampart or Dragon Mans? Thanks.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Rampart is an okay place to go only as long as you're about the only person there...I've gone up there before to shoot, saw the crowds and left, I won't take my chances up there with all the yahoos.

Dragon Mans is also okay I guess...I know a lot of people that refuse to go there for lots of reasons....but just for popping off a few rounds it's probably a fine place. I've only been there twice though.

Whistling Pines is probably hands down the bestest & nicest place....but you have to be a member and it's PRICEY....I've never shot there, just toured the facility.

Cactus Flats in Penrose is a nice range also....though I've only been there twice too, both times with a CCW class.

I know I wasn't much help....but around the Springs to find a decent place to shoot you'd probably have to have a friend with some land either up the mountains or out east.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Rampart is an okay place to go only as long as you're about the only person there...I've gone up there before to shoot, saw the crowds and left, I won't take my chances up there with all the yahoos.

Dragon Mans is also okay I guess...I know a lot of people that refuse to go there for lots of reasons....but just for popping off a few rounds it's probably a fine place. I've only been there twice though.

Whistling Pines is probably hands down the bestest & nicest place....but you have to be a member and it's PRICEY....I've never shot there, just toured the facility.

Cactus Flats in Penrose is a nice range also....though I've only been there twice too, both times with a CCW class.

I know I wasn't much help....but around the Springs to find a decent place to shoot you'd probably have to have a friend with some land either up the mountains or out east.

And welcome to OCDO.

jcbaxe

imported post

Thanks a lot for the reply, I should have also stated that I'm fairly new to the area and having finally purchased a handgun, I was reluctant to go to RR to shoot. I now see it's closed indefinitelyby the Forest Service. I also see that you can shoot in the forest, but until I find a nice safe spot, I think I'll just have to hold off shooting for awhile. I did open carry for the first time a few weeks ago, in the back country. It felt weird having a gun on the hip, but it also felt much more secure than having just my family, my dog, and a walking stick. Thanks again. Jeff

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'm thinking about joining up with Whistling Pines. I'm going to see if I can find someone that wants to transfer there membership over to me for $250 or so. Better than the $350 membership startup fee.