• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Officer presses gun to your wifes Neck.

Wheelgunner

imported post

So you are in the 7/11 Store with the Misses and suddenly a violent guy in a police uniform speaking both Englaish and Spanish has a pistol out and is taking you wife down to the ground with the gun pressed against her neck. Please view the video.

What do you do?

A. File a Complaint with Internal Affairs

B. Look Shocked and Appalled.

C. Applaud and Open an account with Match.com

D. Other

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/51196597.html?cmpid=15585797

Bader

imported post

I think option A is for someone who would be thinking about after the fact.

I don't think I could give a definite answer unless I was actually in that situation. It's not like I'd take a chance and draw my weapon.

Rule number 7: You can't out draw a drawn gun.

I'd ask the man what his intentions are, and go from there.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Good idea Bader! "Excuse me Officer, you are choking out my wife and threatening her with a gun. What are your intentions exactly? Are we being detained? Is this a Terry Stop? BANG!

My goodness! Blood on your Uniform! I will disarm myself now and allow you to cuff me. Please don't shoot me as well.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

gave him back his gun. and people wonder why alot of the public distructs cops. no misconduct for trying to erase evidence. what are we bck in the 60's when there were lots of dirty cops.

I hope she gets a huge settlement for tht bs. but he's still on the street. i'd move too.

the bad apples taint the pie

cynicist

imported post

Not that I advocate doing so, but this, from what I can tell (haven't seen the video) this qualifies for self-defense against a law officer. The common law in WA state at least is that there is the threat of of unlawful "serious bodily injury or death" and a great likelihood that it will be carried out.
The rule on this was set in a case in the KC jail where a guard had maced a guy in handcuffs who was too sick to get up, and had been begging to go the infermery, and the guy wasn't getting up so the guard was rubbing the mace into his eyes with his thumbs, and the guy bit him. Court ruled that because mace is non-lethal, the guy was not in a position to defend himself, and got felony assault.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I know exactly what I would do.

I posted this on the forum to get responses dealing with carry, which implies both weapons and tactics.

Long Answer: A LEO is just a person like anyone else. Pressing his gun against your wife's neck is a lethal act toward someone you not only are protective about, but you have special knowledge about (clean record, not a criminal, etc). You have a small time window. You can get him to back off, then try to defuse the situation from a position of strength or you can roll the dice. Shooting him after is merely vengeful though in the past courts have cleared those who have killed officers who murdered, such as Ruby Ridge where a officer shot a 14 year old kid in the back for no reason and another person fired in response and killed the officer. This lady fought back because she was guiltless, which probably endangered her life but she was outraged.

Short Answer: I would draw, press my weapon to his head and tell him to drop his weapon. Disarm him if possible but shoot him if necessary. I would make damn sure the tapes were not destroyed.

I would not let the wife die because of a case of mistaken identity or, in this case, a LEO on a personal vendetta

Magister

imported post

What the bloody hell....

Power mad cop listens to lying idiot son who cant drive, abuses power, threatens with a firearm, lies to the court and with paperwork, and he gets 8 days of deskwork. And he gets his gun back. He shouldnt be allowed to touch a damn gun ever, period. And never be allowed into a law enforcement/security job ever again. Hell, imagine if one of us "mere mortals" tried this.

As for what I'd do, im with you Wheelgunner. A guy I dont know grabs my wife/kids/someone I know it utterly innocent, doesnt announce who they are, and threatens with a firearm? Im drawing.

Im just glad the clerk didnt cave to the crazy cop or his corrupt buddies in wanting those tapes destroyed and even stepping in to try to defuse the situation. Big credit to him.

Argh, I read that and now I think theres steam coming out of my ears...

tat2ed_guy

imported post

WOW, the power that some think they have when they have a gun and a badge. If it were my wife, I would take his life with a f**&$^ snickers and suzyQif thats all I had. There is no way in hell I could just allow someone to treatmywifelike that.

shad0wfax

imported post

The officer is dirty.
At least one other officer on the department from Internal Affairs is dirty.

I do not know PA law, so I can't say how I would have reacted if I were a resident of that state.

In WA, this situation was grounds for justifiable homicide (against the officer) on the part of anyone in the store witnessing that chain of events.

I have no clue how I'd have reacted if that happened to me either. Without a video to back the hypothetical civilian defensive shooter's story, I'm betting against the civilians in court.

1245A Defender

imported post

ive seen the vidio, but its hard to follow, im not even sure the cop looked like a cop, didnt seem to be acting like a cop,. if a man ? out of the blue? grabbed my girl!! pointed a gun in her face/neck with no justification,,, i would use any means i could get my hands on , including my hands to subdue him including making holes in his head to protect my love!!! no mater what state or where ever i might be!!!!

FunkTrooper

imported post

I bet if the officer saw you with the girl he was about to abuse I bet he would have just murdered you and claimed self defense. If it were me that's a tricky situation more than likely I wouldn't act against the Officer because the Police are one of the largest gang networks in the country. If I was going to act I would take his son as my hostage and wait until more police arrive to calm down the officer but really if you want to ever see your wife again just file a complaint.

jbone

imported post

Rouge Father & Son Cops, backed by more of the departments finest.

"What they didn't know was that they'd been rear-ended by the son of a police officer who was on duty, and dad was about to get involved"

"The clerk on duty the night that Lopez confronted Lawless told investigators that three times after the incident, police officers spoke with him about the security tape and that two asked if he would erase it"

Ajetpilot

imported post

jbone wrote:
"The clerk on duty the night that Lopez confronted Lawless told investigators that three times after the incident, police officers spoke with him about the security tape and that two asked if he would erase it"
He's a brave kid to stand up to the pressure he received from these thugs, but I wonder if he now fears reprisals.

jbone

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
He's a brave kid to stand up to the pressure he received from these thugs, but I wonder if he now fears reprisals.

I fear the same, a citizen may be the target of more rouge officers, as honest COPS would have never asked to have the tape erased. Whata disgrace in any profession when you have trash like that working next to you.

Tawnos

imported post

jbone wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:

I fear the same, a citizen may be the target of more rouge officers, as honest COPS would have never asked to have the tape erased. Whata disgrace in any profession when you have trash like that working next to you.
Second time I've seen you use that. Now, I may not be an expert, but I don't think we have to worry too much about officers that are made of red powder. Perhaps you were looking for this kind of officer ;)

jbone

imported post

OMG, I need to turn QVC off when typing.:celebrateyou know I'm a terriblle speller...:shock:

Maybe I was watching Reno 911.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

And police and our representatives wonder why we the people have such a distrust of them? Her lawyer is quoted as saying "I'm troubled by the conduct of the officer, about his telling a story that lacks credibility, and about the fact he thought he could get away with it.."

Um hello... Earth to idiot Lawyer guy.... HE DID GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

"The District Attorney's Office reviewed the case and declined to prosecute Officer Lopez in December. Eight days later, he was reissued his weapon and returned to full duty."

These kinds of corrupt cops make me sick. Had this been anyone else, they'd be doing time right now.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

My gosh, all this Monday morn QBing! :what:

I gotta think that Officer Lopez is, after not really seeking any hard criticism, spinning around with confusion at all the arrows being launched his way for his supposedly (he's not been convicted, right?) "over-reacting."

Ifonewere able to address Lopez directly, here is what one wise man might say to placate and console him:

This will sound like some Zen nonsense, but it really is true.

You are the only one who can know whether you over-reacted.

Just have a long quiet moment to yourself. Go over the incident step by step in your mind. Forget the criticism by the police, family, and anybody on this forum.

You'll be able to clear it up for yourself. And like I said, you really are the only one who can.

Thiswise man'sadvice is "very true," of course.Remember:None of us were there. We can armchair qb all we want, but only ONE person (Lopez) involved in thisthread was there. I say again, the ONLY person who can resolve this for him is he.

C'mon guys. Civility and politenessis important. Let's be fair. It's not like Lopez is asking for any opinions...

:p