Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Action Item - Thune Amendment

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

From Va-Alert on National CC Reciprocity

This is not counter to the OC philosophy. It is just another method of carry.
    Please save the discussions to the contrary for another thread.

__________________________________________________ ____________

ACTION ITEM:

If you haven't contacted Senators Webb and Warner to support the
    amendment, now is the time to do so. We need to drown out the self-
    defense haters:

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/a...ertid=13750856

Let's roll!

-

After you have contacted your senators above, here is a poll that you
    can vote on (about 1/3 the way down):

http://www.wset.com

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Emails fired away. Voted in the poll, as of 0610 on Tuesday, 96% YES! Strong VCDL and a strong NRA will keep the wolves away!

Post imported post

As per your request, emails sent and vote given on poll. still 96% as of 0814 Tuesday.

Thanks for the link. I read about this last night.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Done and done.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

As much as I would like to see my VA CC permit (and soon Utah) accepted in every state, Ican alsosee where this is a case of the federal government stepping on states' rights. For once it is in our favor, but would almost seem hypocritical to support. I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution. With those powers, we should have been protected from laws limiting our ammunition types carried (NJ hollow-point), etc when travelling and I would like to see that done. The best solution, supported by the Constitution, should be to eliminate the need for permits entirely and the various infringing firearms laws, per the 2nd Ammendment (with the declaration of it applying to states), but I suppose that is a fantastical dream. I really need to think about how I feel over this before voting/emailing.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Icetera wrote:
    As much as I would like to see my VA CC permit (and soon Utah) accepted in every state, Ican alsosee where this is a case of the federal government stepping on states' rights. For once it is in our favor, but would almost seem hypocritical to support. I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution. With those powers, we should have been protected from laws limiting our ammunition types carried (NJ hollow-point), etc when travelling and I would like to see that done. The best solution, supported by the Constitution, should be to eliminate the need for permits entirely and the various infringing firearms laws, per the 2nd Ammendment (with the declaration of it applying to states), but I suppose that is a fantastical dream. I really need to think about how I feel over this before voting/emailing.
    I had the same decision to make. However, knowing the anti's would take any opportunity to ban CCW at the Federal level made the choice easy. They don't play by how the rules 'should' be.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Post imported post

Icetera wrote:
    Well, here is what I say:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
    This bill would merely prescribe the manner in which the acts, records and proceedings would be recognized.

...okay, maybe not, but it's much less of a stretch than saying that someone growing crops in their backyard for their own personal use is 'interstate commerce'.

I sent the emails and voted in the poll, but I do not expect this to pass. Even if it does, we have to all be on alert for the deadly expansion of federal power over CCWs.

Post imported post

Icetera wrote:
    I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution.
    I'm pretty sure that interstate recognition of drivers licenses is under the Full Faith and Credit clause, as GWRedDragon cited. AFAIK, there is no other federal law that says that states must recognize each others' drivers licenses. It's only the Constitution.

So get off of that fence and send out those emails!

~ Boyd

Post imported post

I also feel strongly about states' rights, except when it comes to their repression of Constitutional rights.

Post imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
    I also feel strongly about states' rights, except when it comes to their repression of Constitutional rights.
    +1 and this really does fall under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause. "Interstate Transport" is not in the Constitution. I think some here are confusing that with "Interstate Commerce."
    This IS a right recognized in US law, and if one State recognizes that right for me and another excludes me from enjoying that Right while recognizing it for others, it is in clear violation of the 14th Amendment AND "Full Faith and Credit" has not been given to my Virginia (and New Hampshire) CHP.

Post imported post

This is taken from the boilerplate email to Sens. Warner and Webb in the link provided: "This amendment will protect the right of citizens to carry firearms outside of their home state without violating the rights of the other states."

Should"rights" have been "laws" here or am I missing something? Certainly one can argue myConstitutionalrights are being violated, butI am not sure how my CCW violates other states' rights.

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    Icetera wrote:
    I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution.
    I'm pretty sure that interstate recognition of drivers licenses is under the Full Faith and Credit clause, as GWRedDragon cited. AFAIK, there is no other federal law that says that states must recognize each others' drivers licenses. It's only the Constitution.

So get off of that fence and send out those emails!

~ Boyd
    My balance has failed and I seem to have fallen onto the side in support

Post imported post

Post imported post

WarDragonII wrote:

From the article:

"If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.
    That is the funniest thing I've read in a long, longtime, I actually laughed out loud.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

We may very well know the outcome of this before tomorrow afternoon.

Some Democrats from pro-gun states will be coming up for re-election and will vote for passage, I think this just might make it!

A few last minute emails and phone calls to Senators Warner & Webb can't hurt. Seems that they may be doing the right thing.

Time is running out - they're due to vote in the morning!

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

jm04 wrote:
    WarDragonII wrote: From the article:

"If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.
    That is the funniest thing I've read in a long, longtime, I actually laughed out loud.
    Wow, you aren't kidding. Talk about living in "la-la land"... that is a good candidate for next year's "365 Stupidest Things Ever Said" desk calendar.

TFred

Post imported post

Voting right now on CPSAN2.

Post imported post

CoonDog wrote:
    So far I hear more Aye than no. Although I missed begining.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
    CoonDog wrote:
    So far I hear more Aye than no. Although I missed begining.
    I am hearing the opposite now :-(

Post imported post

only 58, needed 60.

This is the closest will ever get. I didn't hear what our senators voted.

Post imported post

58 to 39

Amendment withdrawn
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

58 yeas, 39 nays...failed by 2 votes.

Post imported post

How did the Virginia senators vote on the issue, does anyone know?

Post imported post

byrdj wrote:
    How did the Virginia senators vote on the issue, does anyone know?
    WRVAis reporting that both supported.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast