Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Action Item - Thune Amendment

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627

    Post imported post

    From Va-Alert on National CC Reciprocity

    This is not counter to the OC philosophy. It is just another method of carry.
    Please save the discussions to the contrary for another thread.

    __________________________________________________ ____________

    ACTION ITEM:

    If you haven't contacted Senators Webb and Warner to support the
    amendment, now is the time to do so. We need to drown out the self-
    defense haters:

    http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/a...ertid=13750856

    Let's roll!

    -

    After you have contacted your senators above, here is a poll that you
    can vote on (about 1/3 the way down):

    http://www.wset.com

    Yata hey

    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Regular Member apollosmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North of the York River, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    Emails fired away. Voted in the poll, as of 0610 on Tuesday, 96% YES! Strong VCDL and a strong NRA will keep the wolves away!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Post imported post

    As per your request, emails sent and vote given on poll. still 96% as of 0814 Tuesday.

    Thanks for the link. I read about this last night.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    Done and done.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    As much as I would like to see my VA CC permit (and soon Utah) accepted in every state, Ican alsosee where this is a case of the federal government stepping on states' rights. For once it is in our favor, but would almost seem hypocritical to support. I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution. With those powers, we should have been protected from laws limiting our ammunition types carried (NJ hollow-point), etc when travelling and I would like to see that done. The best solution, supported by the Constitution, should be to eliminate the need for permits entirely and the various infringing firearms laws, per the 2nd Ammendment (with the declaration of it applying to states), but I suppose that is a fantastical dream. I really need to think about how I feel over this before voting/emailing.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    Icetera wrote:
    As much as I would like to see my VA CC permit (and soon Utah) accepted in every state, Ican alsosee where this is a case of the federal government stepping on states' rights. For once it is in our favor, but would almost seem hypocritical to support. I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution. With those powers, we should have been protected from laws limiting our ammunition types carried (NJ hollow-point), etc when travelling and I would like to see that done. The best solution, supported by the Constitution, should be to eliminate the need for permits entirely and the various infringing firearms laws, per the 2nd Ammendment (with the declaration of it applying to states), but I suppose that is a fantastical dream. I really need to think about how I feel over this before voting/emailing.
    I had the same decision to make. However, knowing the anti's would take any opportunity to ban CCW at the Federal level made the choice easy. They don't play by how the rules 'should' be.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    Icetera wrote:
    As much as I would like to see my VA CC permit (and soon Utah) accepted in every state, Ican alsosee where this is a case of the federal government stepping on states' rights. For once it is in our favor, but would almost seem hypocritical to support. I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution. With those powers, we should have been protected from laws limiting our ammunition types carried (NJ hollow-point), etc when travelling and I would like to see that done. The best solution, supported by the Constitution, should be to eliminate the need for permits entirely and the various infringing firearms laws, per the 2nd Ammendment (with the declaration of it applying to states), but I suppose that is a fantastical dream. I really need to think about how I feel over this before voting/emailing.
    Well, here is what I say:

    Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
    This bill would merely prescribe the manner in which the acts, records and proceedings would be recognized.

    ...okay, maybe not, but it's much less of a stretch than saying that someone growing crops in their backyard for their own personal use is 'interstate commerce'.

    I sent the emails and voted in the poll, but I do not expect this to pass. Even if it does, we have to all be on alert for the deadly expansion of federal power over CCWs.

  8. #8
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    Icetera wrote:
    I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution.
    I'm pretty sure that interstate recognition of drivers licenses is under the Full Faith and Credit clause, as GWRedDragon cited. AFAIK, there is no other federal law that says that states must recognize each others' drivers licenses. It's only the Constitution.

    So get off of that fence and send out those emails!

    ~ Boyd

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    I also feel strongly about states' rights, except when it comes to their repression of Constitutional rights.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    431

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    I also feel strongly about states' rights, except when it comes to their repression of Constitutional rights.
    +1 and this really does fall under the "Full Faith and Credit" clause. "Interstate Transport" is not in the Constitution. I think some here are confusing that with "Interstate Commerce."
    This IS a right recognized in US law, and if one State recognizes that right for me and another excludes me from enjoying that Right while recognizing it for others, it is in clear violation of the 14th Amendment AND "Full Faith and Credit" has not been given to my Virginia (and New Hampshire) CHP.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    This is taken from the boilerplate email to Sens. Warner and Webb in the link provided: "This amendment will protect the right of citizens to carry firearms outside of their home state without violating the rights of the other states."

    Should"rights" have been "laws" here or am I missing something? Certainly one can argue myConstitutionalrights are being violated, butI am not sure how my CCW violates other states' rights.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    TexasNative wrote:
    Icetera wrote:
    I suppose it could be looked at in the same way as driver's licenses, but in that case the federal government has been granted powers over interstate transportation by the Constitution.
    I'm pretty sure that interstate recognition of drivers licenses is under the Full Faith and Credit clause, as GWRedDragon cited. AFAIK, there is no other federal law that says that states must recognize each others' drivers licenses. It's only the Constitution.

    So get off of that fence and send out those emails!

    ~ Boyd
    My balance has failed and I seem to have fallen onto the side in support

  13. #13
    Regular Member WarDragonII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post


  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA, ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    WarDragonII wrote:

    From the article:

    "If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.
    That is the funniest thing I've read in a long, longtime, I actually laughed out loud.



  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627

    Post imported post

    We may very well know the outcome of this before tomorrow afternoon.

    Some Democrats from pro-gun states will be coming up for re-election and will vote for passage, I think this just might make it!

    A few last minute emails and phone calls to Senators Warner & Webb can't hurt. Seems that they may be doing the right thing.

    Time is running out - they're due to vote in the morning!

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    jm04 wrote:
    WarDragonII wrote: From the article:

    "If you walk down the street in New York ... you can have the solace of knowing that if someone has a gun on them they've gone through a rigorous police background check. After this bill, you can have no such comfort," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday.
    That is the funniest thing I've read in a long, longtime, I actually laughed out loud.
    Wow, you aren't kidding. Talk about living in "la-la land"... that is a good candidate for next year's "365 Stupidest Things Ever Said" desk calendar.

    TFred


  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    538

    Post imported post

    Voting right now on CPSAN2.


  18. #18
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    CoonDog wrote:
    Voting right now on CPSAN2.
    So far I hear more Aye than no. Although I missed begining.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    Wolf_shadow wrote:
    CoonDog wrote:
    Voting right now on CPSAN2.
    So far I hear more Aye than no. Although I missed begining.
    I am hearing the opposite now :-(

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    only 58, needed 60.

    This is the closest will ever get. I didn't hear what our senators voted.

  21. #21
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    58 to 39

    Amendment withdrawn
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arlington, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    58 yeas, 39 nays...failed by 2 votes.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    How did the Virginia senators vote on the issue, does anyone know?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    byrdj wrote:
    How did the Virginia senators vote on the issue, does anyone know?
    WRVAis reporting that both supported.

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    394

    Post imported post

    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •