• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Picnic Richmond Area - Crump Park, Glen Allen Va

dragonmom

imported post

Crump is a fun park to go to with the kids. I think if we got the picnic area right by the playground then that would keep the kids very entertained. I think the kids that come to the dinners do great for it being late then having to sit while their parents chat. I think it will be great for them to have a chance to play together.

kennys

imported post

What I can say at this point is I have printed the application, I am waiting for a response from the parks department as to what the number is for the shelter at the playground. I know it is going to be in August on a Saturday or Sunday, Dependant on what they tell me about availability. Helpfully it will cool down a little by than. I am not a Henrico county resident so it will cost me a little more for the shelter but I will be reserving it all day. After I get all of the above worked out and have a date we can figure the rest as we go.

I have gotten a few definite maybe from some people I know, and being it would be in this area of town with plenty to do for children there is a better chance they will come out and see what we are all about.

kennys

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
I can reserve the shelter, as it's double the price for you to do it. Let me know which you want to get.
I am trying to find the number on it. Its the one on the right by the playground as you enter the park. That would be great if you could, and I can reimburse you or something. I am tied up on June 9 just so you know and I am as well trying to keep from conflict on any other OC events. The pavilion max on the form states 50, but I doubt as wide open as the park is 50 will not be under it at one time as we have had triple digits for family reunion's there.

kennys

imported post

It looks like the one I am thinking of is #2 It looks like it is availible on 9-2 which is a Sunday all day. There are even later dates as well. Here is the cut and paste for what I have.

Kenny,

Crump shelters on Saturdays- 7/25 none available, 8/1 #2(playground) 3p-dusk, 8/8 #1 9a-2p, 8/15 #1 all day, 8/22 none, 8/29 #1 3p- dusk & #2 9a-2p;on Sundays 7/26 #1 9a-2p, 8/2 #2 9a-dusk, 8/9 #1 & #2 9a-2p, 8/16 #1 9a-dusk & #2 9a-2p, 8/23 #1 9a-2p & #2 9a-dusk, 8/30 #1 & #2 9a-dusk. All shelters can accommodate approximately 50 people with 6 tables. Each time slot is $25 for residents of Henrico and $50 for non residents. To reserve a shelter a shelter reservation form (www.co.henrico.va.us/rec ) must be completed by the payee and payment submitted no later than 5 business days prior to your event date .Payments may be mailed to the address at the bottom of the form or presented in person at Deep Run Rec. Ctr., Henrico Rec. & Parks Dept., Belmont Rec. Ctr., Dorey Park Rec. Ctr. Or Confederate Hills Rec. Ctr.

Burnerdine Hurt

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can swing by on the way home today and see what # is on that pavilion if you don't hear back. I'll then call and see what's available.

kennys

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
I can swing by on the way home today and see what # is on that pavilion if you don't hear back. I'll then call and see what's available.
I guess you posted right before I did.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ha! I see that. Given the list, here's a more readable version:

I'm not sure if we need it all day, but I'll leave it up to you guys. I think 9-2 would be plenty of time and will give us more options.

Saturdays
8/1 #1 none #2 3p-dusk
8/8 #1 9a-2p
#2 none
8/15 #1 all day #2 none
8/22 #1 none #2 none
8/29 #1 3p-dusk #2 9a-2p

Sundays
7/26 #1 9a-2p
#2 none
8/2 #1 none #2 9a-dusk
8/9 #1
9a-2p #2 9a-2p,
8/16 #1 9a-dusk #2 9a-2p
8/23 #1 9a-2p #2 9a-dusk
8/30 #1
9a-dusk #2 9a-dusk

We might not be able to get there on a Sun til around 5p, so my vote is for one of the Saturdays. If we want #2, that means the 1st or 29th. Then again, the 3-dusk time slot will be cooler than the midday slot...

Pick whichever day works for the most people and we'll try to get there if it's a Sunday.

kennys

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Ha! I see that. Given the list, here's a more readable version:

I'm not sure if we need it all day, but I'll leave it up to you guys. I think 9-2 would be plenty of time and will give us more options.

Given I am learning more and more about the group and how talk pleasantly can last hours, I wouldn't really want to limit us to a time of having to pick up and leave. As well with the all day schedule if some would like to come out early and fish or something the place would be reserved all day so they would have a place to hang their hat. Some as well with travel or varying schedules may as well would like the option of coming early and leaving early, or coming late and leaving late.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Either way is fine with me, but you've got to pick a start time for the meal, as this stuff won't last long in the heat. So, if people are coming for the 'picnic', they can show up at 10-11am, and that would give 3-4hrs to eat/talk without having to move.

Having a spot all day so latecomers know where to meet is a good thing as well. We need to pick a day and then get a headcount to tell how many will be there early/late etc.

kennys

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Saturdays
8/1 #1 none #2 3p-dusk

8/29 #1 3p-dusk #2 9a-2p

Sundays
8/2 #1 none #2 9a-dusk
8/23 #1 9a-2p #2 9a-dusk
8/30 #1
9a-dusk #2 9a-dusk

We might not be able to get there on a Sun til around 5p, so my vote is for one of the Saturdays. If we want #2, that means the 1st or 29th. Then again, the 3-dusk time slot will be cooler than the midday slot...

Pick whichever day works for the most people and we'll try to get there if it's a Sunday.
Saturday is OK. As well I believe for any one that may travel it will give them a day of rest before returning to work. Peter Nap said he works on Saturdays but is more flexible than most....It is looking like the first would be our best unless we go for Sunday. The 29th is not ruled out but the late crammers and people wanting to come later because of the heat may have issues. If a little over a week notice works that would be fine.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, so we're looking at a Sat afternoon on the 1st or an all day Sunday later in the month.

You want to give folks a day or so to check their schedules for the 1st and if that doesn't pan out you can just pick one of the Sundays and I'll book it?

kennys

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
OK, so we're looking at a Sat afternoon on the 1st or an all day Sunday later in the month.

You want to give folks a day or so to check their schedules for the 1st and if that doesn't pan out you can just pick one of the Sundays and I'll book it?
Sounds good to me:celebrate. I will be on and off today checking the status but will be waiting for more replies.....We don't want to wait too long or they might book the 1st and we will have to use an alt later date...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kennys wrote:
bnkrazy wrote:

Sounds good to me:celebrate. I will be on and off today checking the status but will be waiting for more replies.....We don't want to wait too long or they might book the 1st and we will have to use an alt later date...
I'm just watching now. I'll make a point of being available on the date you pick (unless it goes into hunting season).:uhoh:

If I don't get back to you right away, it's because I'm melting 1200 pounds of lead into ingots today. If I finish that, I may pick up another barrel tomorrow:shock:

dragonmom

imported post

Well I am going to make an official vote for Saturday the 1st because it will be cooler around that time. Sundays we have church in the late afternoon and I am usually worn out on Sundays. I like that day to rest after church.

So we make up as 2 adults and 3 kids for the Saturday vote. :D

kennys

imported post

dragonmom wrote:
Well I am going to make an official vote for Saturday the 1st because it will be cooler around that time. Sundays we have church in the late afternoon and I am usually worn out on Sundays. I like that day to rest after church.

So we make up as 2 adults and 3 kids for the Saturday vote. :D

I spoke with my wife and she seems to think Saturday the first is good for us. That would make two adults and 3 children. The next day one of my daughters goes to camp so it works well.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Blatantly ripped off from Naked Shoplifter's Burke Lake Picnic thread (thanks for doing the thinking)

List of supplies and who is bringing what
Charcoal / bncrazy+dragonmom
Wire grill cleaning brush / bncrazy+dragonmom

Grill spatula / bncrazy+dragonmom
Grill tongs / bncrazy+dragonmom
ICE / kenney
Ice chest / kenney

Ice chest /
Plates /
Skidmark
Plastic cups / Skidmark
Napkins / Skidmark
Plastic forks/knives/spoons / Skidmark
Table cloth /
Table cloth /
Hamburger patties (1 package) /

Hamburger rolls /

Hot Dogs (1 package) /
Hot Dogs (1 package) /

Hot Dogs (1 package) /
Hot dog buns /
Hamburger pickles /

Cheese /
Lettuce, Tomato, Onion /
Serving tray for L, T, O, saran wrap /

Chopping / cuttingtray + knive(s) /
Potato salad /
Iced tea /
Chips /
Chips /
Bushs Maple And Bacon Baked Beans - 28 Oz (2 cans) /
Single/dualburner camp Stove + can opener + long handled spoon / bncrazy+dragonmom

Water /
Soda (cola - 12) /
Soda (cola - 12) /

Soda (diet - 12) /
Soda (diet - 12) /
Soda (orange - 6)/
Soda (lemon - 6)/
Soda (root beer -6)/
Ketchup (super size bottle) /

Mustard (reg size) /
Relish (reg size) /
Cookies /
Cupcakes/
Misc. desert /
Camcorder /

Battery powered FM radio/
Other food?/ kenney = jalapenos
Other gear?/
Chairs /
Bring your own!
Bug Spray / Bring your own!

We can adjust the amounts of stuff to bring as planning and numbers move forward.

I suggest that those that want to chip in to reimburse Kenney or anyone else for the shelter rental costs settle up with them at the picnic.

stay safe.

skidmark

dragonmom

imported post

I'll go ahead and book the #2 pavilion for the 1st tomorrow AM.

I can bring the:

Charcoal /
Wire grill cleaning brush /

Grill spatula /
Grill tongs /
Single/dualburner camp Stove + can opener + long handled spoon /

Maybe more as we see how many folks show up.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dragonmom wrote:
I'll go ahead and book the #2 pavilion for the 1st tomorrow AM.

I can bring the:

Charcoal /
Wire grill cleaning brush /

Grill spatula /
Grill tongs /
Single/dualburner camp Stove + can opener + long handled spoon /

Maybe more as we see how many folks show up.

This was really me...woman can't seem to use her own computer. :lol: