• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Picnic Richmond Area - Crump Park, Glen Allen Va

kennys

imported post

As being a recent new-comber to the site, I am not sure if I am doing this right so please bare with me.

In our last OC Breakfast I heard some mention of the thought of having an OC picnic in the Richmond area. I thought that was a good idea and any help and guidance in how we could get one off the ground would be appreciated.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kennys wrote:
As being a recent new-comber to the site, I am not sure if I am doing this right so please bare with me.

In our last OC Breakfast I heard some mention of the thought of having an OC picnic in the Richmond area. I thought that was a good idea and any help and guidance in how we could get one off the ground would be appreciated.
First we need to pick a place Kenny. There are tons of parks aroound. Then a Date and time...from there, it's up for grabs. I would suggest a Sunday.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
kennys wrote:

First we need to pick a place Kenny. There are tons of parks aroound. Then a Date and time...from there, it's up for grabs. I would suggest a Sunday.
Noooo! Saturday! Must be a Saturday! :(

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
peter nap wrote:
kennys wrote:

Noooo! Saturday! Must be a Saturday! :(
Saturdays are work days for me but I have more flexibility than most here, so pick the best day for everyone.

kennys

imported post

Let me do a little cut and paste and see what you think. I have been at this park several times for family reunion and it seems like a really good family friendly park. It gives the children things to do as the adults talk.

Crump Park is a refreshing bit of nature and history amidst the suburbanisation of western Henrico County. Officially named General Sheppard Crump Memorial Park, this county park is complete with a duck pond (stocked with catfish), playground, and an open meadow for kite flying. The park's best part is Elizabeth A. Crump Manor, circa 1810, now part of the Meadow Farm Museum. There are nature and exercise trails, three ponds (one for fishing) wooded play areas with slides, tyre swings, etc. picnic shelters, an orientation centre, a 19th century living history museum. Meadow Farm, one of the last remaining 19th-century farms in Henrico County, is an 1860 living historical farm focusing on middle-class rural life just before the War for Southern Independence. On selected weekends, costumed interpreters provide insights into the lives of Dr. John Sheppard, the owner of Meadow Farm, and his family. They portray daily and seasonal activities in the farmhouse, barn, doctor's office, blacksmith's forge, kitchen, fields, and pastures.

Address: 3400 Mountain Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Directions: From I-295: Take the WOODMAN RD SOUTH exit 45B. 0.2 mi. (0.3 km.); Merge onto Woodman Rd. 0.3 mi. (0.5 km.); Turn RIGHT onto Mountain Rd. 1.9 mi. (3.1 km.)

I thought Sunday was a good day as well, but I am open to what best sutes every one interested.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sounds good to me and for the members coming any distance, it's close to the interstate.

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Sounds good to me and for the members coming any distance, it's close to the interstate.
That's what I was thinking, rather than down town Richmond. Easy access 95, 295, Rt1 and 64. I believe that covers most directions.

kennys

imported post

I agree to an extent, but what I am looking at is not just for the adults but children as well. The park I mention has plenty to keep them occupied less the hassle of going into the center of Richmond.

kennys

imported post

Depending on how this flies over the next day or so I will check pavilion availability and if we can get it together will reserve one. Saturday or Sunday is good with me although more people may be better off with Sunday as some work schedules would have it, but want to wait and see what the consensus is.

Lie2me

imported post

I've been toCrump park numerous times with my family. They have nice covered picnic tables right in the area where the payground is. It also has some nice animal and (not sure of the time frames) some pre-civil war history attached. I definitely vote for this site, sat. or sun is fine...

kenny

imported post

kennys wrote:
Depending on how this flies over the next day or so I will check pavilion availability and if we can get it together will reserve one. Saturday or Sunday is good with me although more people may be better off with Sunday as some work schedules would have it, but want to wait and see what the consensus is.
Book it, they will come.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I guess I can make it. I would almost suggest Forest Hill Park off of Forest Hill Avenue in Southside Richmond. Pavillion #2 still has a no guns sign. We could take a group photo in front of it.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Crump is one of our local parks, and we go a lot.There's a playground for the kids and geocaching for those interested. There's plenty of room for parking close to the picnic area/playground.

We were just there last month for a b-day party and the smaller covered picnic area will hold 30-40 folks easily. There's another in the middle of the playground that will hold probably 50-60 people.

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/meadow_farm.html

Park map: http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/Park_Maps/Crump_RFP_Park.pdf

Shelter reservations: http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/pdf/shelter.pdf

ETA: If we do this on a weekend expect large crowds and tons of kids. Should be fun.

My vote is for a Sat.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm up for a picnic, but I'm not a "summer" person - the heat & I do not get along well. That said, I'll be glad to lend support to the project in any way I can, including coming out & sweating over a burger & soda or over the coals to cook.

Kenney - here's the deal - you started this, so you get to be head honcho. You pick the place, the time, the logistics (search for the recent NoVa picnic at Burke Park for ideas), and get whatever credit or blame might be handed out for starting the project.

Everybody else shows their support by the amount they pitch in. Go for it!

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Skid over the coals - now there is a novel idea. :lol:

Picnics are always a great way to get together and we haven't had one in Richmond in too long. Looks like that is being rectified. :)

Yata hey