• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Trip

Lame Wolf

imported post

Ladies and Gentlemen: Several months ago, I wrote asking for open carry information in several states. Most of you were very kind, generous and forthcoming with your helpful information. Since then, my Bride and I have completed our honeymoon and returned home. We left SC on June 7 and traveled/stopped at various points in Ga, Al, Ms, La, Tx, NM, Az, Nv, Ut, Co, Ok, Ar, and Tn before returning home. I generally open carried in the car with either a belt holster or shoulder holster. Many times outside of the car. Most of the time, I either draped a loose shirt or light weight vest over the holster in a heavy crowded area. I had no problems anywhere along way with general public or LE. We went through about 3 traffic stops, 9 Border patrol check points and the security on the highway at Hoover Dam. All in all, a very pleasant trip.

With kind regards,

Lame Wolf

zanshin

imported post

Wolf,

You may have been lucky as open carry is pretty much illegal in public in Alabama. As a matter of fact, unless you have an Alabama CCW permit, or one from a state with which we have reciprocity, travel here is a drag.

When passing through the state, handguns must be unloaded, in container separate from ammo, and inaccessible to all occupants. Further, my reading of the law is that you must travel straight through. No stops.

Even residents cannot have a handgun in the car without a permit except taking it home after purchase, transporting for repair, taking it to a business where you work. This means one may not take it to a range. Harsh.