Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intruder fatally shot at Garrard home

Post imported post

Note to criminals: Kentucky is not a good place for home invasions.

--------------
    Alleged intruder fatally shot at Garrard home By Greg Kocher - gkocher1@herald-leader.com

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/868918.html
    Kentucky State Police are investigating a shooting early Tuesday in Garrard County in which one man died.
    Dallas Richard Helton, 40, of Paint Lick, was pronounced dead 1:42 a.m. Tuesday at the scene of the shooting, said Coroner Daryl Hodge.
    The shooting occurred at 1524 Old Richmond Road North in Cartersville, about eight miles east of Lancaster, Hodge said.

• At 12:46 a.m. Tuesday, the homeowner, Hurlin McQuerry, called 911 to report that a man had forcibly entered his home, and the homeowner had shot him with a .410 shotgun, state police said in a release.
      Upon arrival, state police found Helton dead of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
      Helton was wearing a ski mask and gloves and had a crowbar when he entered the house, state police said.
      At the time of shooting, two people were waiting outside in a vehicle, state police said.
      One was identified as Tanya A. Fowler, 35, of Berea, and the other was Helton's juvenile son.
      State police charged Fowler with second-degree complicity to commit burglary and took her to the Lincoln County jail.
      McQuerry was not charged Tuesday, but Trooper Chris Lanham said the case will be presented to a grand jury.
      Greg Kocher covers Garrard County for the Herald-Leader. Reach him in the Nicholasville bureau at (859) 885-5775.

Post imported post

Dumass! 'Nuther useless eater out of the picture.

Post imported post

I added a personal touch to the photo.

Post imported post

Given what the cops found when they got to the scene, I have to wonder why the DA is bothering with taking this to a grand Jury?
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Sadly, I guess this man taught his son a valuable lesson: Don't Steal!!:what:

Post imported post

turbodog wrote:
    Given what the cops found when they got to the scene, I have to wonder why the DA is bothering with taking this to a grand Jury?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. If it is clearly a self defense situation don't wast any tax dollars going further. Thank him and move on.

Post imported post

turbodog wrote:
    it is going to be presented to the grand jury because the DA wants it off of his back--if the grand jury indicts him the DA can say--"well it was not me that charged him"....and if the grand jury refuses to indict then the DA can still come out squeaky clean by saying--"see, the system works"

that DA should be fired.

Post imported post

That statement came from a cop... not anybody 'in charge'. The other two in the car (accessories) are still in the jackpot as it were.I'm thinkin' that's what was meant... but incorrectly reported. 'Troopers' do not make Grand Jury decisions... that's the DA/SA's job.

Post imported post

kentucky seems like a nice place to live,when i went to harlan(which i guess is a bad part of the state) to offroad,i saw idk how many OC'ers

the guy running the shop at the trailhead had a stainless 1911,and i had seen a sig just outside of there,and in the stores i had seen 2 revolvers being OC'ed

i wanna move there,like minded people.

glad the homeowner wasnt hurt(gotta stay on topic here) but id reccomend more than a .410,unless its the taurus judge.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Screamin outta Harlan

Revvin' up his mill

He shot the gap at Cumberland

And screamed thu Maynardville

Each time they thought they had him

His engine would explode

And he'd go by

Like they were standin' still on Thunder Road

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Epic Fail for idiot burglars.

Epic Win for gun owners and self-defense advocates!

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    kentucky seems like a nice place to live,when i went to harlan(which i guess is a bad part of the state) to offroad,i saw idk how many OC'ers

the guy running the shop at the trailhead had a stainless 1911,and i had seen a sig just outside of there,and in the stores i had seen 2 revolvers being OC'ed

glad the homeowner wasnt hurt(gotta stay on topic here) but id reccomend more than a .410,unless its the taurus judge.
    Why not a .410, the caliber starts with 4 like everyone wants and seemed to work fine in this case? Also if someone shoots me with a .410 I would rather they use a Judge than a shotgun with a 30" barrel. Sounds to me like the homeowner did fine.

Post imported post

of course he did fine,i was referring to the .410 being a good car carry piece,where you may need a good spread in a short distance to clear a carjacker,and the judge being the prime handgun for that.

the homeowner used what he had,though id prefer a larger bore shotgun,12-20 ga.

Post imported post

Ah jes lub Kentucky!:celebrate

Don't wanna ever leave.

Post imported post

i cant wait to go back!

actually my offroad club had an altercation in october with an armed person on top of a mtn in harlan,offroad trails...we assumed he was a drug dealer

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    i cant wait to go back!

actually my offroad club had an altercation in october with an armed person on top of a mtn in harlan,offroad trails...we assumed he was a drug dealer
    mmm..... could a been a land owner, too. Gotta be careful when off roading, that you don't get off on private property, where you ain't welcome. Them Harlan boys gets a bit testy aboutstrangers on their property. Ya might have gotten a bit too close to somebodies still.

Come to think of it, folks around here do too.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Word of the day: cotton

-soft silky fibers from cotton plants in their raw state
    fabric woven from cotton fibers

-erect bushy mallow plant or small tree bearing bolls
    containing seeds with many long hairy fibers

-take a liking to;
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Proper use of the term in these situations:

We don't cotton to your kind around here!

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

I don't know about that, I've got some Brenneke slugs for my beater bolt action Mossberg .410, and they are pretty bad@$$. Damned accurate too.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    i cant wait to go back!

mmm..... could a been a land owner, too. Gotta be careful when off roading, that you don't get off on private property, where you ain't welcome. Them Harlan boys gets a bit testy aboutstrangers on their property. Ya might have gotten a bit too close to somebodies still.

Come to think of it, folks around here do too.
    no this was a well marked and established trails,it was the major one that goes to the top of the mtn.

street tires on a F150 stock height...ghetto black guy(no pun intended) with a piece in the small of his back

first thing he does is ask ifany of us werecops,and if we could winch him down the mtn cuz of his flat tire,how he even made it half as far as he did is beyond me.

we declined,noticing the handgun in his back,and that he obviously wasnt an offroader,plus we wanted to get the last 200 feet in the mtn. done,and it would've taken us probably 2 or 3 hours to get him down.

really shady guy,we suspected he had pot hidden in with the regular plants on the mountain.

Post imported post

double post,my bad!

Post imported post

From where I sit the homeowner just saved the good taxpayers of Kentucky around $15K a year in having the prison system house this nimrod.

.23 cents for 1 round vs. $15K. Homeowner should get a commission check really.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

You would think that this would wake people up but it wont. All I can say is that if you come in my house like this guy did you will meet him very soon.

Post imported post

Well, here's the questions that I get from this:

As for the DA taking it to the grand jury, is there some way the shooter being exonerated would help his case against the two in the car?

Doesn't KY have a 'liability clause' that would protect SD shooters?

Who determines whether a shooting is justified? In some states, it is left up to the local Sheriff or the State Police.

I hope there is a defense fund set up, 'cause even one appearance by a lawyer in front of a grand jury is going to cost big $$$.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

okboomer wrote:
    Well, here's the questions that I get from this:

As for the DA taking it to the grand jury, is there some way the shooter being exonerated would help his case against the two in the car?

Doesn't KY have a 'liability clause' that would protect SD shooters?

Who determines whether a shooting is justified? In some states, it is left up to the local Sheriff or the State Police.

I hope there is a defense fund set up, 'cause even one appearance by a lawyer in front of a grand jury is going to cost big $$$.
    Interesting. Perhaps a Grand Gury failing to indite provides a level of protectipn for the homeowner in a civil case?
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

Is Kentucky like Texas, where it's legally required that all homicides go through a grand jury regardless of circumstances?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast