• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intruder fatally shot at Garrard home

Statesman

imported post

Note to criminals: Kentucky is not a good place for home invasions.

--------------
Alleged intruder fatally shot at Garrard home By Greg Kocher - gkocher1@herald-leader.com

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/868918.html
Kentucky State Police are investigating a shooting early Tuesday in Garrard County in which one man died.
Dallas Richard Helton, 40, of Paint Lick, was pronounced dead 1:42 a.m. Tuesday at the scene of the shooting, said Coroner Daryl Hodge.
The shooting occurred at 1524 Old Richmond Road North in Cartersville, about eight miles east of Lancaster, Hodge said.

• At 12:46 a.m. Tuesday, the homeowner, Hurlin McQuerry, called 911 to report that a man had forcibly entered his home, and the homeowner had shot him with a .410 shotgun, state police said in a release.
    Upon arrival, state police found Helton dead of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
    Helton was wearing a ski mask and gloves and had a crowbar when he entered the house, state police said.
    At the time of shooting, two people were waiting outside in a vehicle, state police said.
    One was identified as Tanya A. Fowler, 35, of Berea, and the other was Helton's juvenile son.
    State police charged Fowler with second-degree complicity to commit burglary and took her to the Lincoln County jail.
    McQuerry was not charged Tuesday, but Trooper Chris Lanham said the case will be presented to a grand jury.
    Greg Kocher covers Garrard County for the Herald-Leader. Reach him in the Nicholasville bureau at (859) 885-5775.

lechwe

imported post

turbodog wrote:
Given what the cops found when they got to the scene, I have to wonder why the DA is bothering with taking this to a grand Jury?
That's exactly what I was thinking. If it is clearly a self defense situation don't wast any tax dollars going further. Thank him and move on.

suntzu

imported post

turbodog wrote:
Given what the cops found when they got to the scene, I have to wonder why the DA is bothering with taking this to a grand Jury?

it is going to be presented to the grand jury because the DA wants it off of his back--if the grand jury indicts him the DA can say--"well it was not me that charged him"....and if the grand jury refuses to indict then the DA can still come out squeaky clean by saying--"see, the system works"

that DA should be fired.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That statement came from a cop... not anybody 'in charge'. The other two in the car (accessories) are still in the jackpot as it were.I'm thinkin' that's what was meant... but incorrectly reported. 'Troopers' do not make Grand Jury decisions... that's the DA/SA's job.

lil_freak_66

imported post

kentucky seems like a nice place to live,when i went to harlan(which i guess is a bad part of the state) to offroad,i saw idk how many OC'ers

the guy running the shop at the trailhead had a stainless 1911,and i had seen a sig just outside of there,and in the stores i had seen 2 revolvers being OC'ed

i wanna move there,like minded people.

glad the homeowner wasnt hurt(gotta stay on topic here) but id reccomend more than a .410,unless its the taurus judge.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Screamin outta Harlan

Revvin' up his mill

He shot the gap at Cumberland

And screamed thu Maynardville

Each time they thought they had him

His engine would explode

And he'd go by

Like they were standin' still on Thunder Road

PT111

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
kentucky seems like a nice place to live,when i went to harlan(which i guess is a bad part of the state) to offroad,i saw idk how many OC'ers

the guy running the shop at the trailhead had a stainless 1911,and i had seen a sig just outside of there,and in the stores i had seen 2 revolvers being OC'ed

glad the homeowner wasnt hurt(gotta stay on topic here) but id reccomend more than a .410,unless its the taurus judge.
Why not a .410, the caliber starts with 4 like everyone wants and seemed to work fine in this case? Also if someone shoots me with a .410 I would rather they use a Judge than a shotgun with a 30" barrel. Sounds to me like the homeowner did fine.

lil_freak_66

imported post

of course he did fine,i was referring to the .410 being a good car carry piece,where you may need a good spread in a short distance to clear a carjacker,and the judge being the prime handgun for that.

the homeowner used what he had,though id prefer a larger bore shotgun,12-20 ga.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i cant wait to go back!

actually my offroad club had an altercation in october with an armed person on top of a mtn in harlan,offroad trails...we assumed he was a drug dealer

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
i cant wait to go back!

actually my offroad club had an altercation in october with an armed person on top of a mtn in harlan,offroad trails...we assumed he was a drug dealer

mmm..... could a been a land owner, too. Gotta be careful when off roading, that you don't get off on private property, where you ain't welcome. ;)Them Harlan boys gets a bit testy aboutstrangers on their property. Ya might have gotten a bit too close to somebodies still.

Come to think of it, folks around here do too.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Word of the day: cotton

-soft silky fibers from cotton plants in their raw state
fabric woven from cotton fibers

-erect bushy mallow plant or small tree bearing bolls
containing seeds with many long hairy fibers

-take a liking to;
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Proper use of the term in these situations:

We don't cotton to your kind around here!

Hendu024

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

I don't know about that, I've got some Brenneke slugs for my beater bolt action Mossberg .410, and they are pretty bad@$$. Damned accurate too.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
i cant wait to go back!

mmm..... could a been a land owner, too. Gotta be careful when off roading, that you don't get off on private property, where you ain't welcome. ;)Them Harlan boys gets a bit testy aboutstrangers on their property. Ya might have gotten a bit too close to somebodies still.

Come to think of it, folks around here do too.

no this was a well marked and established trails,it was the major one that goes to the top of the mtn.

street tires on a F150 stock height...ghetto black guy(no pun intended) with a piece in the small of his back

first thing he does is ask ifany of us werecops,and if we could winch him down the mtn cuz of his flat tire,how he even made it half as far as he did is beyond me.

we declined,noticing the handgun in his back,and that he obviously wasnt an offroader,plus we wanted to get the last 200 feet in the mtn. done,and it would've taken us probably 2 or 3 hours to get him down.

really shady guy,we suspected he had pot hidden in with the regular plants on the mountain.