• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Clair Shores Parks and Rec. Firearms not welcome

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Wrecken2, one quick correction. You do not have to have a CPL to OC in a public park.

Also, if I may offer another suggestion. In the sentence "the reason I want the law changed" I would just say something like " the reason I want this changed" or something to that effect. I wouldn't refer to that ordinance as a law since it has no legal leg to stand on. Just my opinion.

Good job, keep it up! Keep us posted to your progress.

wrcken2

imported post

Well boys and girls. This just in. I just received an e-mail from Mr. Podolski, See copy below.

Mr. Norgan,

The City Attorney concurs with your assessment of our ordinance and will be recommending the necessary changes to the ordinance for council action in the near future. Also you may be interested in knowing today’s front page of the Macomb Daily has an article on this very topic. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Sincerely,

Kenneth R. Podolski

City Manager

St. Clair Shores

KittyBomb

imported post

wrcken2 wrote:
Well boys and girls. This just in. I just received an e-mail from Mr. Podolski, See copy below.

Mr. Norgan,

The City Attorney concurs with your assessment of our ordinance and will be recommending the necessary changes to the ordinance for council action in the near future. Also you may be interested in knowing today’s front page of the Macomb Daily has an article on this very topic. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Sincerely,

Kenneth R. Podolski

City Manager

St. Clair Shores

Great news, I just looked that up.
A nice mention of Michigan Open Carry.

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2009/08/14/news/srv0000006114137.txt

astrogiblet

imported post

Must be a good feeling to get such a positive response back from them. To know you've gotten a law changed in your town is awesome!

I've got two family members on the SCS police department. Going to be sure to bring up Open Carry next time I see them.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

hopnpop

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
hopnpop wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Now if only South Haven would have taken this tack!
Something happen in S Haven that I'm not aware of?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27752&forum_id=30&highlight=michigan+south+haven

Not only can you not have firearms in their parks, you can not speak in public either (according to them).

I clicked around for a while and found the thread. I'm not in a position to organize but I'd definitely be there if a picnic is held!! Read the ordinance and understand that if I were there reading aloud to my kids, I'd be in violation. What kind of lunacy is this?! Blaintant trample of 1A AND 2A rights!! Speech? Peaceable assembly? Religion? RTKBA? What the hell.....

hopnpop

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
There is an event planned for South Haven on September 13th more info is in the events thread.
I saw it listed on the Events Schedule thread, but no follow-up thread to add myself to attendance. Not s'posed to reply to that schedule thread, and without its own thread... Should I just PM the organizer then?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Generaldet wrote:
There is an event planned for South Haven on September 13th more info is in the events thread.
I saw it listed on the Events Schedule thread, but no follow-up thread to add myself to attendance. Not s'posed to reply to that schedule thread, and without its own thread... Should I just PM the organizer then?
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/29438.html