• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Effect of Thune/Vitter National Reciprocity Act in licensed OC states?

44Brent

imported post

Will the Thune/Vitter National Reciprocity Act allow me to OC in licensed OC states (MA, NJ, etc.)?

http://www.govit.com/vote/congress.aspx?bill=2009-s-845

Text of Legislation:

S 845 IS

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 845

To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the State.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

April 21, 2009

Mr. THUNE (for himself, Mr. BARRASSO, Mr. BEGICH, Mr. BENNETT, Mr. BROWNBACK, Mr. BURR, Mr. CHAMBLISS, Mr. COBURN, Mr. COCHRAN, Mr. CRAPO, Mr. DEMINT, Mr. ENSIGN, Mr. ENZI, Mr. GRAHAM, Mr. GRASSLEY, Mr. HATCH, Mr. INHOFE, Mr. ISAKSON, Mr. MARTINEZ, Mr. RISCH, Mr. ROBERTS, Mr. VITTER, and Mr. WICKER) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

[line]

A BILL

To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the State.

• Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
  • This Act may be cited as the ‘Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009’.
SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.
  • (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms
  • ‘Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:
    • ‘(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

‘(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.’.
    (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:
    • ‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’.
SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
  • The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act.

TFred

imported post

44Brent wrote:
Will the Thune/Vitter National Reciprocity Act allow me to OC in licensed OC states (MA, NJ, etc.)?

http://www.govit.com/vote/congress.aspx?bill=2009-s-845

Text of Legislation:

S 845 IS

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 845

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

April 21, 2009

Mr. THUNE (for himself, Mr. BARRASSO, Mr. BEGICH, Mr. BENNETT, Mr. BROWNBACK, Mr. BURR, Mr. CHAMBLISS, Mr. COBURN, Mr. COCHRAN, Mr. CRAPO, Mr. DEMINT, Mr. ENSIGN, Mr. ENZI, Mr. GRAHAM, Mr. GRASSLEY, Mr. HATCH, Mr. INHOFE, Mr. ISAKSON, Mr. MARTINEZ, Mr. RISCH, Mr. ROBERTS, Mr. VITTER, and Mr. WICKER) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
[line]
A BILL

• Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
  • This Act may be cited as the ‘Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009’.
SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.
  • (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:
‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms
  • ‘Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:
    • ‘(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

‘(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.’.
    (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:
    • ‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’.
SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
  • The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act.
Well once again this BB software totally butchered the "Quote" function... but anyway...

Why would you think you can Open Carry because of this bill? Every provision clearly states "concealed".

TFred

TFred

imported post

Ugh, that butchered quote so distracted me... I understand your question better now... if a state requires a concealed license to open carry, can you open carry as a result of this newly legislated reciprocity.

Much more interesting question than I first assumed. If you look carefully at the text, it does still say:

"may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms"

If they left out that "concealed" then I would say yes the new reciprocity extends to any legal form of carry, but the bill seems to explicitly cover only concealed carry.

Of course, IANAL, and I still think the conflicting text between the bill's summary and main text is going to give us problems, but what do I know. :)

TFred

Huck

imported post

TFred wrote:
Ugh, that butchered quote so distracted me... I understand your question better now... if a state requires a concealed license to open carry, can you open carry as a result of this newly legislated reciprocity.

Much more interesting question than I first assumed. If you look carefully at the text, it does still say:

"may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms"

If they left out that "concealed" then I would say yes the new reciprocity extends to any legal form of carry, but the bill seems to explicitly cover only concealed carry.

Of course, IANAL, and I still think the conflicting text between the bill's summary and main text is going to give us problems, but what do I know. :)

TFred

This bill may only cover concealed carry, but it's a start. "Before you can run, first you must learn to walk."

The Donkey

imported post

Interesting question picked up by the antis on the Senate floor:

Whether a law permitting concealed carry of a specific weapon in one state applies to allow the permit holder to carry that weapon in a state which prohibits possession of that weapon in that second state.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I would say the 'when in rome' principle would have applied. Restrictions on weapons would have to have been followed, as it is now with reciprocal states permits