• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bossier Parish Deputy warns that OC will get you arrested

FishingBack

imported post

He added that it depended on your attitude when the cop shows up. He said if you "have attitude" and say stuff like "it's my right" then they'll arrest you for disturbing the peace.

I'm planning on emailing the BPSO but I wanted to let you know if you were out that way.

Oscarr

imported post

Source? I want/need to be able to reference it when I call to complain. I do most of my shopping (and thus, OC'ing) in Bossier, I've never had a problem.

I don't see anywhere where it says saying "It's my right" will get you arrested: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78253

Me thinks they'd have a hard time enforcing/proving/convicting that one. Not to mention opening themselves up to counter lawsuits.

Oscarr

imported post

Wanted to verify this before I posted, just got the story from my friend, it's been about 6months and my memory sucks, but I -was- there when this happened:

Me and a friend that got stopped in a store in Bossier parish by a deputy. The deputy first asked him if he was a leo - "No sir" was the reply. Then the deputy TOLD him not to come in the store carrying again, to which my friend replied "No sir, it's my right to open carry in LA.", to which the deputy then replied 'I know but don't do it anyway' - friend said "No sir, I will continue to carry unless the store owner asks me not to."

The deputy said "i'm not gonna argue about this!" and walked away.

-

Moral of the story? They like to try and bully people, that whole "my word is law!" thing, but when faced with someone that KNOWS the law and is respectful / gives them no possible reason to be arrested , they (usually) back down.

prodefense

imported post

Oscarr wrote:
Source? I want/need to be able to reference it when I call to complain. I do most of my shopping (and thus, OC'ing) in Bossier, I've never had a problem.

I don't see anywhere where it says saying "It's my right" will get you arrested: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78253

Me thinks they'd have a hard time enforcing/proving/convicting that one. Not to mention opening themselves up to counter lawsuits.

Interesting thread re. BPSO, I agree that stating "It's my right" shouldn't get you arrested for DP by"uttering those words" .

FishingBack

imported post

Oscarr wrote:

During a CHP class at Shooters (www.shootersusallc.com)

Robert Chavis, who did a great job with the class, but for that snippet.

charlie12

imported post

FishingBack wrote:
Oscarr wrote:

During a CHP class at Shooters (http://www.shootersusallc.com)

Robert Chavis, who did a great job with the class, but for that snippet.

So where did it come from? Who is Robert Chavis is he a LEO. Sounds like another instructor that doesn't know the law.

charlie12

imported post

Oscarr wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
So where did it come from? Who is Robert Chavis is he a LEO. Sounds like another instructor that doesn't know the law.
According to the first post, he's a deputy.

So does that mean he was at Shooter USA giving a class or just talking out of his butt?

Sounds like somebody needs to call and ask what he meant by that comment.

I wonder if he was just that dumb or trying to scare people up there.

FishingBack

imported post

He taught the class and is a BPSO deputy. He was a good instructor, but for that one quick comment. I didn't bring it up because I wanted to look up some court cases first so I'd know what I was talking about.

charlie12

imported post

FishingBack wrote:
He taught the class and is a BPSO deputy. He was a good instructor, but for that one quick comment. I didn't bring it up because I wanted to look up some court cases first so I'd know what I was talking about.

Doesn't sound like he was too good of an instructor if he putting out something we know is not true.

What else is he teaching in the class that might not be true that the students didn't know.

Since you live there call the Sheriff and ask him, tell him one of his men said you would be arrested for it and see what he says. It might save the Sheriff alot of money one day.

Oscarr

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
And just why would anyone here at opencarry.org be at a concealed carry class in the first place?
Because he wanted to.
Some days I wear blue jeans, some days I wear slacks. It's a choice.
Some days he OC's, some days he CC's. It's a choice.

The original post IS relevant to this forum.

Oscarr

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The POST is relevant, but begging for permission to do something is totally opposed to the very concept of freedom.
True, but some people want to be able to CC and so they have to work within the confines of the law. Just because they chose to CC doesn't mean they cant/dont/wont OC too. They just want options.

Or move to Alaska? ;)

imported post

Concealed carry: something currently classified as privileged activity by the state, requiring permission.
ANY time you ask permission from the state to do anything, you, basically, are enabling the state to claim sovereignty over not just you, but all of us.