• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Range Options

Magix

imported post

I live in Kirkland, WA and am wondering what ranges are around the eastside area that might be worth trying. So far I've only been to Wades Indoor Rangein Bellevue and it's a little pricey but the range is nice and not terribly far from my location.

Can anyone recommend different ranges in the area and what the pricing is?

I've heard about these but never been to them:

Also, are there any outdoor ranges in the area to shoot steel targets? I've always wanted to try that. :p

joeroket

imported post

SPAA (Seattle Police Athletics Association) is another, it is member only also. It is out by Boeing Field but is a nice outdoor range that is member policed and very relaxed in comparison to a lot that I have been to.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Magix,
Not sure what you do, but if you are involved in any way with fire services SPAA has good deals and would be worth the drive.

Not located eastside, but if you live in Kirkland it is a quick drive up the freeway to come up towards South Everett to Sams. Get off at 128th, turn left and go across 99. On the left.

10-12 dollars for a lane. If you shoot a lot, memberships make it reasonable. Very business-like demeanor, friendly if they see you enough. It's close to me so I took out a membership.

Wades is closer to you, but another option to think about.

Cheers,
Bill

Magix

imported post

Thanks for the comments. Right now I'm debating if I should take out a one year membership with Wades, but it's really expensive so I need to be sure. I go the the range about 2-3 times a month so I'm not sure if it's really worth it yet.

oldkim

imported post

Other options:

Issaquah has an outdoorrange (member only), Sam's in Everett (indoor range). If you want to shoot long range 600 yards - you can try Cascade Rifle and Pistol range in Ravensdale. Black Diamond outdoor range (member only).

Renton Fish and Game is shotgun, pistol and rifle (200 yards).

For future: I hear West Coast Armory is opening up in the Fall with a new range near Factoria (I-90/I-405).

Shooting Steel:
Are you doing anything August 30th? Check out my shoot under Shooting Like the Good Old Days. I'll bump it so you can see it.

McoupeGun

imported post

As for indoor ranges, Champion Arms is another one.Theyarelocated in the north part of Kent / south part of Renton, just west of HWY 167. I've been there a couple of times and the range fees are less expensive than Wades in Bellevue,and you don't have to be a member to shoot there.

Here's the link to their website. http://championarms.com/main.html

Mad Pick

imported post

Magix wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Right now I'm debating if I should take out a one year membership with Wades, but it's really expensive so I need to be sure. I go the the range about 2-3 times a month so I'm not sure if it's really worth it yet.
I went through the same debate just last year. I finally decided to get the 1-year family membership (for me and my wife). A few months later, I decided that I had made the wrong choice and actually should have gotten the LIFETIME family membership, so I went back and asked to "upgrade." They gave me a little lip, telling me that I was supposed to upgrade within the first month, but finally let me do it.

I don't know how long I'll continue going to Wade's, especially since I'll be moving south a bit in a few months, but all in all I don't think I made a bad decision.

A few advantages to being a member:

- They'll always have a lane for you.
- No cost to go and shoot.
- Free rentals, even the "special" guns such as the ARs, PS-90, etc.
- You can shoot centerfire rifles in the members bay, but not the regular bay.

Of course, shooting centerfire rifles at a 50-foot range is fun for a while, but gets a bit old rather quickly.

I've found the staff at Wade's to be pretty good. They're anal about the things that matter (like safety), but don't bother you about stuff like controlled rapid fire. I really appreciated them when I tried the rifle range at Renton Fish & Game club . . . it got REALLY old loading one round at a time in my AK mag. Plus, the range officer at the time was a total prick. :( But I digress.

If you're happy with the Wade's facility, and if you plan to continue going 2-3 times a month, then a membership is probably the right thing to do.

On another note, thumbs-up for oldkim's shooting practice on August 30th. I went to the last one with some of my friends, and we all loved it . . . I'll definitely be there on the 30th.

Magix

imported post

I asked a question on this forum if my carry ammo is a good choice or not, and I received a suggestion to shoot a round through a water jug and see how the round behaves. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/29103.html

It sounds like an interesting/fun idea and I'd be eager to see what happens. I've watched a couple videos of people doing this and it's always been outdoors.

My question is: Where can I even attempt this around here? (I live in Kirkland)

I have no idea where I can openly discharge my gun besides at a range. Any suggestions?