• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart Problems anyone ealse?

John563

imported post

I was asked to leave Wal-Mart here in Missouri last night because I was OCing.They told me toput my gun in the car and I could come back in. I made contact with Marsha Heissler the region mgr. and asked her what the store policy was... She said " Wal-Mart does not allow guns in any of their stores. If they see them you will be asked to leave". I brought up the point that the stores are not posted, she said "that did not matter the stores are privat property".

turbodog

imported post

J XD wrote:
I was asked to leave Wal-Mart here in Missouri last night because I was OCing.They told me toput my gun in the car and I could come back in. I made contact with Marsha Heissler the region mgr. and asked her what the store policy was... She said " Wal-Mart does not allow guns in any of their stores. If they see them you will be asked to leave". I brought up the point that the stores are not posted, she said "that did not matter the stores are privat property".
LOL You definitely need to bump up in the wallyworld food chain and have a higher Corp. person educate said dist. manager on Wal Mart policy.

FreeCitizen

imported post

Is regional higher than district manager? I'm not sure how the chain of command works, but if district is higher than regional, contact them. The last article I read about Walmart and guns said that corporate policy leaves the decision to the district manager. If regional is higher, ignore this.

gunman

imported post

I live in st.joe mo there is two walmarts here on the belt highway. north belt walmart asked me to leave,i have been at the south belt location many times and there has'nt been anyone that has said anything.

shad0wfax

imported post

The last correspondence I saw from Wal-Mart was from a WA and also a VA corporate representative.

Both representatives claimed that it is the policy of the Wal-Mart corporation to follow state law of whatever state the store is in.

However, at some stores here in WA I've had store managers insist that I had to have a CPL to open-carry in their store even though my state allows open-carry without any form of permit.

jadedone4

imported post

On the other side of the USofA; I OC in Walmart all the time; non-events. The VA stores do not seem to have any issues - to the point that the staff "bends" the 6box limit for me on more than one occassion.

BTW any folks looking for 9mm in VA (FairLakes location) they were stocking the shelves at/about 2015hrs 21July2009 with Blazer FMJ's 115/grn, 50/rds a box at $9 a box. Unsure about other handgun calibers, but shotgun and some minor rifle rounds seemed to be well-stocked tonight.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Check the Ohio Forum,In Ohio a man received a letter straight from Market Director and the gist of it is that Wal mart refuses to get involved in state issues and if its legal then Walmart will not get involved.So Contact this persons MGR this is completly contrary to what there official stance is.That said I love the fact that WalMArt is OC friendly.

Woodchuck

imported post

stuckinchico wrote:
Walmart has apolicy not to turn away citizens carrying firearms

And this policy is where?

ETA... I was asked in May to leave a Walmart in LaCrosse, WI. I've carried many times in that same store and another in a neighboring town without an issue

thx997303

imported post

Okay, so being a cashier gives you authority on this how?

The wal mart policy is don't rock the boat.

They're trying to make money, and a boycott doesn't help them accomplish that goal.

So they refer to state law, then they aren't bad guys, and don't get boycotted.

It's been well documented.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Your completely right no matter what it comes down to if they can make a buck off of you they will.Plus as big of a company as they are it would suck to get sued everytime someone gets tackled from a loss prevention dude lol.
But just contact their District mgmt and they should have that straightend out and good to go.

Mechman

imported post

Sir,

I have OC'd at my local Wal Mart stores here in the Norfolk/Chesapeake area with no problems whatsoever.

Keep pursuing the matter up the chain of command at Wal Mart in your area until you get a satisfactory answer.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

catass wrote:
Even though Wal*Mart is the Nation's biggest retailer, don't they still have property rights?

Sure they do but it's up to coporate to set the rules. In numerous other threads on this forum people have had problems with Wal-mart, worked there way up the chain of command, and found out that Wal-mart's policy was to follow state law.

Do a search on Wal-mart and you'll find them, even an audio clip from someone at corporate stating this as their policy.

The managers that say it's Wal-mart's policy not not allow firearms are uninformed.

If they want to change their policy it's definately private property andthey certainly can and have the right to do so but it's in our best interest to follow any of these anti-gun policies up the corporate ladder until we get a real answer. If enough of this reaches corporates ears they are bound to issue a memo at some point to clarify their policy to their managers.

John563

imported post

Thanks for all of your input. Here’s an update on my Wal-Mart ordeal.

After talking to the regional rep, (I feel that she pretty much lied to me) I emailed Wal-Mart’s customer service and received this response

Thank you for your message.
Dear XXXXX
There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry.

As a private property owner, Wal-Mart has the authority and ability asks customers to leave or to remove their handgun on case-by-case basis if it is causing any kind of a problem.”

It only took 30 minutes to get my response. This was good except for the word Legally Licensed. [/b]Here in my area of Missouri it is legal to open carry, (you don’t get a license) so I took my letter up to Wal-mart and talked to the store manager. He said that he heard nothing of us being asked to leave the store. He said that he was not sure of the policy on open carry so I showed him the letter that I received from customer service, he said that he would look in to it and get back with me. This was on the 23[suP]rd[/suP] and so far I have not heard from him. Tomorrow I will go back and talk to him.[/b]

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

So they choose to only allow licensed people. That's their right, whether or not you need a license to open carry, if that's what they choose as their requirement.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
So they choose to only allow licensed people.

Bah...

How many times have we seen the media talk about "licensed" gun owners when there is no license needed? I'm guessing they just slipped up with their wording. Being uneducated about firearms laws is probably where this "licensed" deal came from.

Like I said before, from everything I've read, they follow state law. If you don't need a license in that state you shouldn't need one in Wal-mart. If they ask you for your license when you are there, show 'em your drivers license.;)