• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart Problems anyone ealse?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
Their house. Their rules. Or get out.

:shock:
You either misunderstand my post or didn't read the whole thing.

Most likely they don't know what "licensed" is or means in the context of the firearms laws of the state.

I'm betting you could exchange "Legally Licensed" with "legally allowed" in the representatives letter. Anyway, you could always ask for clarification.

RogueWarrior

imported post

I've OC'ed in the wal mart across the road from where I live Albuquerque and have even walked pass the store manager and have never had anyone say any thing to me

beradcee

imported post

Regardless of whether or not it is legal to carry in your state or not, private property owners have the right to ask you to leave for whatever they feel they do not want you doing on their property. As the manager od a WalMart, they are the person who is in charge of that store. If they ask you not to OC in the store then don't. If someone comes to your house and wants to smoke inside, you have the right to ask them to leave, even though the bank 'owns' your house. It may be legal In the state to smoke but that does not trump your private property rights.

thx997303

imported post

I haven't seen anyone disagree with you beradcee, the issue at hand is that wal mart defers to state law, so when a manager confronts you, they are breaking the rules.

Therefore the real issue at hand is poor customer service and misinformed employees.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I haven't seen anyone disagree with you beradcee, the issue at hand is that wal mart defers to state law, so when a manager confronts you, they are breaking the rules.

Therefore the real issue at hand is poor customer service and misinformed employees.
Bingo

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Recently a group of us here in San Diego had an open carry scavenger hunt.
5 of us went into WalMart to get a photo in front of the empty ammo cabinet. We asked the sporting goods clerk to take our picture. He said we weren't allowed to take pictures in the store, but "I'm going to walk over to the pet food isle right now and I'll be back in a couple minutes".

That store has never hassled me over open carry.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

In my letter writing campaigns to various corporations I am finding that while many of them DON'T have a policy on weapons carry, they do leave it at the discretion of the store managers.

I have no less than 4 phone numbers in my cell for various senior Walmart positions who have said that lawful carry is permitted. When I run into a manager that says otherwise I ask them if they would speak to their Regional Marketing Director or the Security Chief who says it is ok to carry.

Now, until we get it in writing from someone at corporate level that lawful weapons carry is approved, rest assured that if a manager asks you to leave its because they have the power to do so.

KBCraig

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
I'm betting you could exchange "Legally Licensed" with "legally allowed" in the representatives letter. Anyway, you could always ask for clarification.
Exactly right. They don't care what the legal requirement is, only that you're legal.

beradcee

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Bingo
I
What I'm getting at is that if the law says that you can be barred from private property for any reason then they really are not breaking the law. Like it or not, they have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, at any time (assuming no laws to the contrary)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

beradcee wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

Bingo
I
What I'm getting at is that if the law says that you can be barred from private property for any reason then they really are not breaking the law. Like it or not, they have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, at any time (assuming no laws to the contrary)
thx997303 wrote:
And again, nobody is denying this. You are absolutely right on that point.

What we're saying beradcee is LEAVE if the managerasks, then go and get in contact with the higher ups to clarify their real policy to their managers. We know what the policy really is, it seems that many managers do not know.

Once it's clarified and the manager knows what corporates policy is, they should allow OC, if they still don't, let corporate take it up with their employee.

Corportate Wal-Mart dictates the policy, the managers are only their agents.

John563

imported post

Beradcee

I concede to you….I agree on private property they have the right to ask anyone to leave for any reason……Now let me throw this in……..Just a question just wandering?....Now that the 2A has been upheld by the U.S. supreme court in 2007 as an individuals right, also in the Missouri constitution article 1 section 23. Being a law abiding citizen legally open carrying a holstered firearm just doing your shopping, at what point does being ask to leave based only on you carrying a firearm become discrimination. Remember now it’s a protected right….Like the first amendment Freedom of religion, of speech, of the press, to assemble, and to petition ect….. Just food for thought.

And if anyone is still interested I did run into the Wal-Mart mgr at dinner tonight and yes I was carrying so was my son, He saw that we werecarrying . He said that he would call me tomorrow and we would talk.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Bill of Rights protects against the government, not against private citizens.

Private property owners are the kings of their own little realm (with a few exceptions of course.....general welfare clause and all that). If I say all hot girls; upon entering my house, must disrobethen that is my royal decree.....if Kate Beckensale comes in, doesn't take of her blouse and won't leave....BAM trespassing!

Bustelo5%

imported post

brass mag you deserve OCDO quote of the year award with a fancy plaque n t shirt that is the best analogy ive ever heard lol

turbodog

imported post

J XD wrote:
Beradcee

I concede to you….I agree on private property they have the right to ask anyone to leave for any reason……Now let me throw this in……..Just a question just wandering?....Now that the 2A has been upheld by the U.S. supreme court in 2007 as an individuals right, also in the Missouri constitution article 1 section 23. Being a law abiding citizen legally open carrying a holstered firearm just doing your shopping, at what point does being ask to leave based only on you carrying a firearm become discrimination. Remember now it’s a protected right….Like the first amendment Freedom of religion, of speech, of the press, to assemble, and to petition ect….. Just food for thought.

One can wonder if the 2nd amendment, unlike the above examples, NOT being incorporated against the states, has anything to do with such discrimination.

I agree, itis discrimination, though unfortunately, not of a type offered protection by law, like race, religion, etc.

It would be interesting if someone should pursuea lawsuit against walmart if they are told to leave based only on the lawful carrying of a firearm in a store.

We've all seen stranger lawsuits.

John563

imported post

Good news for me……My Wal-Mart ordeal is over!!!!!
I talked to the mgr tonight. He said that he contacted the Wal-Mart head of security person. He was told that if their legal to open carry then it’s ok to open carry in Wal-Mart. However if it causes a problem with other customers they will ask you to take your gun out to your car. As beradcee pointed out they have the right to ask you to leave.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Hey try to see if the mgr you spoke with can get you a copy of walmarts nation wide firearms policy for the fourm,that would be amazing for everyone.