• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused and need confirmation

B

Bikenut

imported post

If I'm reading the law correctly then if a person has a CPL they can open carry in an establishment with a license to sell liquor. Such as restaurants with a separate bar section (Applebees et al) or party stores that sell liquor. The law does not stipulate that "concealed carry" is required.

Correct?

Sometimes reading and rereading the convoluted laws gives me a headache.

Michigander

imported post

At a business that makes the majority of its money selling alcohol for on premises consumption, (a bar) a CPL holder is REQUIRED to open carry, if carry at all. The same goes for all of the other concealed carry free zones, which I call criminal empowerment zones.

At liquor licensed establishments where you can't drink on site, or where they make only a small margin of profit on booze, a CPL holder may OC or CC.

If you don't have a CPL, or if you aren't carrying it and your license, don't carry ANYWHERE that sells booze.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
If I'm reading the law correctly then if a person has a CPL they can open carry in an establishment with a license to sell liquor. Such as restaurants with a separate bar section (Applebees et al) or party stores that sell liquor. The law does not stipulate that "concealed carry" is required.

Correct?

Sometimes reading and rereading the convoluted laws gives me a headache.
As Michigander stated. With a CPL you can CC in a place that sells liquor by the glass if their liquor sales are not the majority of their total sales. So most family restaurants like Applebees you can conceal. If you have a CPL you can OC in ANY place that has a liquor license.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Thank you for clearing up my confusion! I thought that is what the law meant.

Dang legalesse! Sometimes after reading more than 2 sections, with subsections, of law my brain starts emitting sparks and just locks up.