• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sunnyvale/ bay area uoc meet POLL

When should we meet?

• Sat. Morning (1000ish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat. After lunch (1330ish)

• Sun. Morning (1000ish)

• Sun. After lunch (1330ish)

• Can't at those times (please let us know what works)

• Total voters

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
I may post the verbage, so everyone knows what happened,...
^ This. Definately. Yes.

I for one, would be interested in hearing more detail. How many participants. How many police. Did they draw down on peaceful activists. Duration of the contact. Was there a lecture advising not to do this. Pamphlets handed out. Did this break up the meeting or did you continue as if nothing happened.?.?.?

There were 7 people that showed up to drink coffee and socialize. After about 10 mins of our arrival a couple of cruisers pulled up. I'd say there were about 6 officers. But only one checked us, the others observed. I suspect the large officer turnout was due to curiosity and the fact that we sat across the street from the Police station :)

They most certainly did not draw down on anyone, these officers knew the situation didn't warrant that. No lecture advising we not open carry. Plenty of questions were asked of us, and of course went unanswered. No Pamphlets handed out. We had them with us but no one (meaning passers by or customers) asked us about UOC so the chance didn't come up. I don't think handing out pamphlets to the officers was necessary , they knew the laws and didn't try and miss quote them.

After the (e) check the officer thanked us for our time and left us to enjoy our coffee and company. For another couple of hours we sat there without incident as if nothing happened.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

DEFINITELY write a nice letter about the way the LT handled this. I would include a caveat that I believe 12031(e) is a violation of the 4th Amendment, but other than that I would have nothing but nice things to say about this guy.

I'm overjoyed at the progress we've made in the two short years I've been involved.

:celebrate

bigtoe416

imported post

I really wish the officer hadn't requested the video not be posted. I feel like he did a great job and other departments could use it as a training video of how to do things. It'd also allow other departments to see that we're just normal people doing normal things and we're not interested in suing anybody who follows the letter of the law.

I will point out that when I arrived at the meetup, I drove around the backside of the stores and there was a Sunnyvale SUV with a officer sitting behind the wheel. I had to drive past him a minute later and he didn't look like he was doing much. It's possible that he was asked to sit around in case another call came in (he wasn't pointed in the direction we were located at, so I doubt he was lying in wait, if you will). He was out of sight for the majority of the parking lot and where we were, so he wasn't sitting there staring at us or appearing to be intimidating. Sunnyvale definitely has their act together as far as I'm concerned.

unobvs

imported post

As an attorney who attended the Sunnyvale gathering but elected not to carry to it, I was very impressed by and learned quite a bit of the realities (rather than theory) by observing the entire experience up close and personal.

Perhaps of greatest significance to me was the realization of how delicate it is for someone who is being subjected to an e-check to walk the very fine line of avoiding giving his consent to the procedure, while at the same time not refusing to permit the officer to conduct the e-check. Perhapsa usefularticulation to deploy would be "I do not give my consent to an e-check but I will not refuse if you require one."

The LT was very well informed and conducted himself professionally and with a bit of good humor.That said,he and his colleagues were certainly willing to attempt to engage us in conversation that could have yielded information that could have later been used against us. It was a bit awkward and delicate to walk that fine line with them: being respectful, polite and positive, yet refraining from potentially damaging "chat."

The LEOs asked politely for ID, but accepted a refusal of ID gracefully and dropped the request.

Iwas pleased tonot detect any attempt on the part of the LT to sneek a peek at the serial numbers on the weapons that he e-checked.

In conclusion, it was a very useful learning experience for all involved. I would be surprised if thisexperience is not communicated throughout the Peninsula LE community just as it is being discussed here.I certainly encourage others to participate in a group get together when possible to see the events first hand.

bad_ace

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
I really wish the officer hadn't requested the video not be posted. I feel like he did a great job and other departments could use it as a training video of how to do things.

FYI. He can request till he's blue in the face, he has no reasonable expectation of privacy (see Wilkins v. NBC http://www.cfac.org/handbook/cases/Wilkins_V.pdf . If I wanted to post the video I would.

I think what you're saying is that it's a shame he didn't want it posted, for whatever reason, even though he can't legally stop me.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I'm overjoyed at the progress we've made in the two short years I've been involved.

We have been fortunate to have been blessed with repeated small victories- with the issuance of training memos in particular.

But what I think makes this a greater victory is that UOC activity deep in enemy controlled territory has not resulted in a swat response with 30+ officers responding guns drawnto felony prone out all participants, confiscate weapons and arrest everyone with some manufactured charge, as many seem so certain would happen.

This is a victory not for the police interaction, but in dispelling the myth that is being perpetuated by 'pro-gunners' that arrest would be a certainty. We had already had a peek at this when an out-of-state advocate was detained in Alameda County some time back- with repetition there is no doubt more officers will be informed, and fears of disproportionate police response will be diminished.

bigtoe416

imported post

bad_ace wrote:
I think what you're saying is that it's a shame he didn't want it posted, for whatever reason, even though he can't legally stop me.
Well, that's what I'm basically saying. I know you could post it, but he won you guys over with his professionalism. Maybe I just wish it was posted as I think it would do more good than harm.

Lomic

imported post

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself as I may be quite interested in attending your next gathering as I spent the last several days researching OC in California.

I'm in my late 20's and used to be a typical "guns are bad" Californian in my younger years. I've been looking more into firearms in the past few years and just got back from a trip to Arizona visiting my folks and got to spend some time at a range with my Dad and his rifles. Had a great time at the range and visiting some AZ gun shops and now I'm hooked.

Planning on getting a sidearm as soon as possible and being able to join you guys at a meet before too long. I'm typically a pretty shy person but for some reason the idea of promoting OC has gotten me really fired up, as it were.

bad_ace

imported post

Welcome to the forum! Be sure to update your location in the profile settings, some users search that field to drum up participation in an event.

Glad you're here.