• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sunnyvale/ bay area uoc meet POLL

When should we meet?

• Sat. Morning (1000ish)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat. After lunch (1330ish)

• Sun. Morning (1000ish)

• Sun. After lunch (1330ish)

• Can't at those times (please let us know what works)

• Total voters

Jubal Harshaw

imported post

Are there any lawyers out there who might be interested in being present / involved in an open carry group / movement / meeting / whatever? Please let us know.

Peter

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Can't remember the screen name he used, but I do recall an attorney from the Bay Area that posted here about a year ago.

I don't know of any convenient way to find him. I'm guessing a forum search of the word "attorney" would turn up too many results.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

unobvs

imported post

I am an attorney and interested in OC and 2A issues, and have been monitoring the increase in interest and activity in the Bay Area. If the timing works out, I may be able to attend the gathering being organized in Sunnyvale this weekend.

bigtoe416

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
P.s. I'm here at the starbucks now, (carrying) security has passed me by 3 times so far and a cop passed about 15 ft away from me, cops passed bad ace and I a few times while we were here the past 2 weeks without incident. There may be a firearm invisibility shield here that i am unaware of
As long as that's an invisibility shield which is locked and fully enclosed then you should be okay! :D

Are you guys wearing shirts and pants that have guns all over them? I might be able to understand it then. Like this but more life-size and realistic looking:

rogue-status-gun-show-t-shirt.jpg

The cops aren't going to believe that you've been there for weeks when they finally notice and start up with the whole line of you will "create a scene", "panic people", and "scare everybody" nonsense.

Jubal Harshaw

imported post

So, fearless leaders (I refer to dirtykoala and bad_ace; you guys are leading the way, as I'm sure you realize) what's the final word on the meeting time? Looks like the votes are for 13:30 on Sun. I plan to be there at that time, but I would like confirmation from dirtykoala / bad_ace that 13:30 on Sun is the time / place. Guys?

Peter

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Great! I think we would all be thankful if you made it out.

P.s. I'm here at the starbucks now, (carrying) security has passed me by 3 times so far and a cop passed about 15 ft away from me, cops passed bad ace and I a few times while we were here the past 2 weeks without incident. There may be a firearm invisibility shield here that j am unaware of
That firearms invisibility shield you speak of is called 'Condition White'. It means people all around you are in a state of oblivion, not taking heed of their surroundings. I think this is pretty common for average folks in any setting. Their eyes may seea firearm on your hip,but theirbrain is registering it as aPDA, a mobile phone, or a camera case.Theysimply dont expect it.The fact that security and police havent taken notice only reveals the gaping hole in their powers of observation.

bad_ace

imported post

Jubal Harshaw wrote:
So, fearless leaders (I refer to dirtykoala and bad_ace; you guys are leading the way, as I'm sure you realize) what's the final word on the meeting time?  Looks like the votes are for 13:30 on Sun.  I plan to be there at that time, but I would like confirmation from dirtykoala / bad_ace that 13:30 on Sun is the time / place.  Guys? 

Peter

Yes. We are on for Sunday at 13:30.

For those attending, this is a very low key meet and greet, one to two hours. We will not be using this time/place to hand out information about open carry. The intent is to meet folks from the forum. Lately (myself included) there have been a lot of new people interested in open carry. This is a chance to say hello and become familiar with people in your area that share some of your interests.

See you all Sunday! Drive Safe.

bigtoe416

imported post

I didn't vote in the poll as I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, but I will try to come, and if I do, I will be armed with my Glock and a voice recorder. If I don't show, I hope you guys have a good time.

bigtoe416

imported post

I had a great time too, good to meet the south bay contingent in person. As usual, everybody was very cool. Bad Ace, Dirty Koala, and I carried, and I was sneaky enough to arrive 20 minutes late and miss the 12031(e) check.

I find it mildly amusing how when my fiancee asked me what we talked about, all I could really think of is laws. I wonder what we would talk about if we didn't have to worry about constantly breaking unconstitutional laws.

I know I mentioned the Palo Alto restriction on possessing firearms, so I looked it up:

9.08.010 Firing and possession of guns and firearms.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter no person shall have in his possession within this city, and no person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged within this city, nor shall any parent, guardian or person having the care, custody or control of any minor permit such minor to have in his possession within this city, or to fire or discharge or cause to be fired or discharged within the city, any firearm, cannon, fireworks, gun, pistol, revolver, anvil, firecracker or explosive of similar nature, rifle, air rifle, air-gun, BB gun or pellet gun or any instrument of any kind, character or description which throws or projects bullets or missiles of any kind to any distance by means of elastic force, air or any explosive substance, all referred to in this section as "firearms."

(Ord. 1720 (part), 1956: prior code § 8.01)

I'd actually like to have the video posted, but I can understand the reasoning behind not posting it since it looked like they were pretty professional.

bad_ace

imported post

We had a great turn out. I suspect the Bay Area will be getting more and more open carriers.

The police stayed within the confines of PC 12031. About 5 other officers got to look on as the lieutenant (e) checked us. A positive learning experience for all of them I'm sure. The officers at no time pressed the issue about ID's or SN checks, never claiming that we "had to show ID". Very smart group.

As for the video/audio. I have no intention of posting it here. I believe people will trust that the encounter went well. Since it was a text book (e) check on the officers part (not mine) the video is rather uneventful. If you attended the meeting and want a copy, PM me.

Thanks again for everyone's support, friends, wives, and fiancees. We will do another. Until then be safe.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
I may post the verbage, so everyone knows what happened,...
^ This. Definately. Yes.

I for one, would be interested in hearing more detail. How many participants. How many police. Did they draw down on peaceful activists. Duration of the contact. Was there a lecture advising not to do this. Pamphlets handed out.Did this break up the meeting or did you continue as if nothing happened.?.?.?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:

I know I mentioned the Palo Alto restriction on possessing firearms, so I looked it up:

9.08.010 Firing and possession of guns and firearms.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter no person shall have in his possession within this city, and no person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged within this city, nor shall any parent, guardian or person having the care, custody or control of any minor permit such minor to have in his possession within this city, or to fire or discharge or cause to be fired or discharged within the city, any firearm, cannon, fireworks, gun, pistol, revolver, anvil, firecracker or explosive of similar nature, rifle, air rifle, air-gun, BB gun or pellet gun or any instrument of any kind, character or description which throws or projects bullets or missiles of any kind to any distance by means of elastic force, air or any explosive substance, all referred to in this section as "firearms."

(Ord. 1720 (part), 1956: prior code § 8.01)
A complete ban on BB/pellet guns? Even spring guns? (I don't know if they even make them anymore, but when I was a kid we had guns that shot soft plastic BBs via spring power with a range of about 20 feet.

And anvils?! I lol'd at that one.

Makes me wonder if the city had a coyote problem at some point...