• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping at Greenwater this weekend..

Aaron1124

imported post

I'm going camping out in the Greenwater area, off of route 73, this weekend. To my knowledge, it's all U.S. Forest Service property out there. Does anyone know if there are any areas out there that would be National Parks property, or other "off limits" when it comes to taking my pistol?

Bader

imported post

You are correct. It's mostly owned by the U.S. Forest Service. I know, because I live in one of the small housing communities out there. You're fine. Oh, make sure you grab yourself a forest pass if you don't have one, just incase the Forest Rangers check your vehicle for one. They're only $5.00. They don't come through often, but just to be safe..

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Expect to see me and the kids up there this weekend as well off FS72.

I've never had a permit to be up there, even at xmas tree cutting time.

Bader

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Expect to see me and the kids up there this weekend as well off FS72.

I've never had a permit to be up there, even at xmas tree cutting time.
They rarely, if ever, check for your pass. I've never seen them, but the Greenwater General store owner always tells people to buy them

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Funny, I'm going backpacking up that way this weekend too. I was just up there over the 4th of July weekend and also the week before that. I never got a forrest pass and didn't know I needed to have one. On my first trip out there this year, I saw 2 forrest rangers when my two boys and I got back to my truck to leave. I was Open Carrying my .45 and had my M4 slung over my chest. They never said anything about my weapons and were very friendly.

kendra

imported post

Hah, compmanio36 (my husband) is talking about going up and camping there this weekend, too. Also maybe between August 13th and 17th.

It's beautiful country up there, some of the best views in the state, plenty of room to shoot, and usually enough space to camp without having to see anyone.

Aaron1124

imported post

Northwest Forest Pass is what was needed. The rangers never seem to even come through though.

The signs at the beginning of the road referenced a Pierce County Ordinance of no discharge of firearms in the area, but the area where we camped was technically a National Forest, so I'm not sure what laws applied there. I saw a ton of shells laying around our camp area though.

kendra

imported post

The camping trip was awesome. We were able to secure a camp-site with some of the best views imaginable. Plenty of pictures were taken, and some will be posted shortly. The views of Mt. Rainier and the sunset were especially fantastic. Many rifles and pistols were shot, and much ammunition used. Fried and grilled chicken was eaten, and marshmallows toasted for s'mores, and for the most part I think everyone had a good time, except for the large clouds of mosquitos. Hopefully we can do it again soon.