• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Night Out

curtiswr

imported post

Got my Museum District Association newsletter delivered to my doorstep a few days ago. I guess the MDA is sorta like Richmond's Fan area version of a homeowners association.

Well, in the newsletter they mention National Night Out:

Join your neighbors in the fight against crime!

The 26th annual National Night Out is Tuesday, August 4, 2009.

NNO is an annual event that is designed to strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community relationships while heightening crime-and-drug prevention awareness.

Please help us celebrate by joning your neighbors and hosting or attending an event in your neighborhood on Tuesday, August 4, 2009.

NNO was introduced in 1984 as a unique crime and drug prevention event and as a way to promote neighborhood unity and police-community partnerships. (poster's note: redundant much?)

This is a great opportunity to partner with the City of Richmond and the Richmond Police Department to "take a bite out of crime." Show that you support the effort to take back our streets and let our criminals know that we will not tolerate crime.

Celebrate NNO with a variety of events and activities such as:

- block parties
- cookouts
- visits from local police and sheriff departments
- parades, exhibits
- flashlight walks
- contests
- youth programs

For more information on NNO or to register your event, please visit nno.org. Please check out the MDA website for information on how to register your event with Richmond Police Department or call Community Care at 646-4395. If your event is registered by July 23, it will be counted in the total number of events held. Also, if you register your event on time with the City, a police officer will try to attend your event.

Of course, you need not register your event, but who can pass up a friendly visit from the police officers who work so hard to keep us safe? Please contact MDA Safety Chair Brandon Mears about your event so that he will stop by to offer MDA recognition! Remember to submit pictures of the fun for our fall newsletter.

Contact: Brandon Mears, at 257-9622 or via email at MDAsafety@museumdistrict.org

I fail to see how any of the event/activity suggestions promote safety and portray a no tolerance view of crime other than the one-time-only police officers maybe walking around and maybe attending the events. A flashlight walk... really? When is the last time walking while holding a flashlight with the beam focused on the ground saved someone's life? To me a "we will not tolerate it" statement should be more than "we will wait for it to happen then call the police with a guess as to what the criminal looked like and where he went" approach.

I wouldn't mind organizing an OC walk and/or a VCDL table down here somewhere for the NNO. The OC walk and VCDL table could be the event, the activity could be people accepting responsibility for their own safety rather than relying on the too-late and after-the-crime police to show up with SAFE kits, evidence flags, and/or chalk? What better way to "show that you support the effort to take back our streets and let our criminals know that we will not tolerate crime" than to promote legal, responsible self defense by way of legal carry of firearms?

I'm not sure where would be a good spot to plant the table nor am I sure of how much exposure it would getregardless of table location. I didn't go out for it last year or pay any attention to how many people were actually out and walking about.

I plan on walking around open carrying, with my GSL button if I can find it. Anyone care to join me in the Fan's Museum District area? Afterwards we could grab a bite to eat somewhere in Carytown.

For reference here is the general area defined as the Museum District: http://www.museumdistrict.org/subsection.asp?PageId=2&SubId=7

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd like to join you, but I'm scheduled to be recovering from a previously scheduled engagement that night.

National Night Out is feel-good fuzziness. Nobody bothers to stay up and watch the streets the other 364 days of the year. At least your tax dollars should be providing you with something like this http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/contracts-recipient-summary&id=12-AG3J14120297196&mode=details&primeid=27for the picnic.

Ask if you can get a ride in one of the cop cars, or at least flip the siren on & off a few times.

stay safe.

skidmark

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would love to attend... but that is on a night i work.. anyway, i am more than interested in how it turns out... keep me in the loop!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I like to feel warm and fuzzy. :)

OK, so they take back the night one night at a time. It is an opportunity to educate so will plan to be there mit GSL stickers.

Yata hey

architect

imported post

skidmark wrote:
National Night Out is feel-good fuzziness. Nobody bothers to stay up and watch the streets the other 364 days of the year.
Heck, the NNO'ers don't stay up past dusk either. In my neighborhood the "event" is over by 8:00PM. It is one of those nights I make sure to OC on the nightly dog walk (usually CC because of potential school zone awkwardness), and drop by to visit with the neighbors at the NNO event. I haven't gotten a lot of advocacy mileage out of it, but one never knows. Nothing wrong with feeling good, I feel great OC, it is the "fuzziness" that needs to be purged!

kenny

imported post

We could always meet on the Boulevard and split into two groups. One walk on the Fan side and the other walk on the Museum side and if attacked we can circle the wagons around the Stonewall Jackson monument.

curtiswr

imported post

Any specific spot people wanna meet up?

There are 3 schools near me, K-12 private, that could lead to weirdness with the 1000 foot law if you don't have your CHP and a police officer is really interested in hassling us.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:

There are 3 schools near me, K-12 private, that could lead to weirdness with the 1000 foot law if you don't have your CHP and a police officer is really interested in hassling us.
I'd plan on joining you if I planned on being in the Burbs that night. But I won't.
I'll shine a flashlight through the woods and smile while I think of Leo 229 baby sitting a bunch of soccer moms defying the evil in their world.:lol:

I may even recite my poem.

No people no crime
No cars no noise

No Leo's to nag me, while I play with my toys.

When asked if I worry about a pandemic spree
I grin when I say

JUST MORE ROOM FOR ME:what:

usaf0906

imported post

http://www.nno.org/nno/ If you follow the above link and put your zip code in it will show you the block party organizers in your area. I think this would be a great avenue to educate some people and let them see that we are just average people that take self-defense seriously. Wear GSL buttons/stickers and pass out informational flyers.

wylde007

imported post

???

There doesn't appear to be any concrete information on when/where locally.

Am I missing something? How do we find out (exact link, please) what communities are participating. It says "Virginia Beach" but gives no further details.

What am I doing wrong?

usaf0906

imported post

I havent been able to find anything in the news. look for flyers or maybe email the organizers

celticredneck

imported post

peter nap wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

I'd plan on joining you if I planned on being in the Burbs that night. But I won't.
I'll shine a flashlight through the woods and smile while I think of Leo 229 baby sitting a bunch of soccer moms defying the evil in their world.:lol:

I may even recite my poem.

No people no crime
No cars no noise

No Leo's to nag me, while I play with my toys.

When asked if I worry about a pandemic spree
I grin when I say

JUST MORE ROOM FOR ME:what:

I'll join you. I'll strap on my 1911, get my flashlight and walk up the dirt road that fronts my property. I can shine the light across the adjacent pasture to make sure my neighbors cows are okay.

scarletwahoo

imported post

No registered events in Charlottesville. Figures, the police are way too busy protecting people from the criminals that don't wear seatbelts, don't have blinking lights on their bicycles, drink a beer in public, or use profane language.

Actually they won't support this at all, they tell people to stay inside and lock their windows, door, and shut their blinds. Seriously, here is a recent email from the police after another armed robbery.

Charlottesville remains a relatively safe environment however, crimes do occur in our community. The best defense is to be prepared and take responsibility for your own safety. A few key reminders: * Keep your doors and windows locked, even when you are home. * Close your drapes and/or shades to prevent others from seeing inside your residence. * Trust your instincts about a person or situation. If you feel uncomfortable, immediately report your concerns to police by calling 911
[/code]
Charlottesville, hard to believe some of our best founding fathers lived here...

I might be down for a drive to Richmond if there are a bunch of people going to OC.

curtiswr

imported post

:exclaim:

This is tomorrow!

We could easily meet in Carytown near the parking lot in the middle (near Galaxy Diner and with Can Can right there on the corner) beforehand for a quick bite to eat or meet there and walk down and around the Grove/Hanover/Stuart/whatever areas to see what all, if much, is going on for NNO and afterwards grab that bite to eat and have no necessity to make it quick. I like to enjoy my food so the latter gets my vote. :lol:

Meeting in Carytown at Cary Court would probably be easiest for parking, although I can't recall if that lot has a time limit on it or not (I am pretty sure that it does not).

Cary Court Park & Shop @ 6:30-6:45 PM (going w/ the eating afterwards option)
3136 W. Cary Street, Richmond, VA, 23221

http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...pping-Richmond-Cary_Court_Park_Shop-BR-1.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
:exclaim:

This is tomorrow!

We could easily meet in Carytown near the parking lot in the middle (near Galaxy Diner and with Can Can right there on the corner) beforehand for a quick bite to eat or meet there and walk down and around the Grove/Hanover/Stuart/whatever areas to see what all, if much, is going on for NNO and afterwards grab that bite to eat and have no necessity to make it quick. I like to enjoy my food so the latter gets my vote. :lol:

Meeting in Carytown at Cary Court would probably be easiest for parking, although I can't recall if that lot has a time limit on it or not (I am pretty sure that it does not).

Cary Court Park & Shop @ 6:30-6:45 PM (going w/ the eating afterwards option)
3136 W. Cary Street, Richmond, VA, 23221

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Virginia/Richmond-889403/Shopping-Richmond-Cary_Court_Park_Shop-BR-1.html
Still anticipate being there but might run a little late - hope not. Do have ur cell # Curtis so will call if need to catch up. Vote for eating after.

Yata hey

curtiswr

imported post

I guess this NNO stuff is about to start. I haven't poked my head outside to see if there is any setting up going in anywhere, if it's even necessary.

Reckon if nothing comes to fruition with relation to NNO we can still have a walk and a pre-dinner dinner.

Edit before posting: Just got a call from Infidel that he is there and waiting in Cary Court, so I'm gonna head out! See ya there! :cool: