• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone travel with mres on commercial flights?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

do they allow sealed mre's to be brought with you? or are they against that to? i know on teh packaging says they cant be brought on unless sealed in original mre bag.

i am going to san diego and didnt want to have to buy the over priced food and have a few mre's that i thought i would bring.

don't see delta banning them

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/dangerous_goods/index.jsp

just wanted a heads up or if you know who to call that would be great the tsa just has forms no contact numbers

shad0wfax

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
[SNIP]

the tsa just has forms no contact numbers
:what: A Federal agency doesn't post their policy where it is readily available, is difficult to contact and even more difficult to get a straight answer from?

Nonsense. ;)

david.ross

imported post

If you're going to bring MREs, don't bring the MREs which contain an MRE heater. I don't know whether or not they'll allow you to have the MRE heater, but best be safe and not bring such. There are plenty of MREs out there which is just the normal food pack.

I've brought several food items on my person through the security checkpoints.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

You can even bring half eatten fruit with you if the item is properly wrapped. A good time to bake your own food and place in a sealed container.

*nom nom* chocolate chip cookies.

Bustelo5%

imported post

That brings up all kinda of fod memories of childhood on base,MRE heaters are the shi!@.My dad would get back from the field and we would take about 10 of those suckers a two liter bottle and some nails,glass throw on his flak jackets and have fun HOOAHHHH...........go Lightning Division
Hey if your allowed to bring that on a plane thats a great defensive weapon lol

mpg9999

imported post

I recently brought some in my checked bags. I think the heater is the issue, but like the package says as long as its still sealed you should be ok.

oldkim

imported post

Last I heard San Diego has a KFC too.

I mean man it only cost $5 for their meal thing. MRE unless you got it for free is going to cost you $7 - $12 each.

Just trying to do the math. In any case check it in with your checked bag. Don't carry it on.

mobeewan

imported post

I just flew this past weekend (Norfolk to San Angelo Tx and back)and could carry food onto the planes in my carry on. I brought trail mix rebagged at home, granola bars and jerky all in my day pack (they allowed one carry on and a bag/day pack with personal items). I sent them through the x-ray with no problem along with my carry on bag. The only concern they had was liquids. I had a thermal mug as I approached the x-ray and was asked if it was empty and told them almost. I finished it as I emptied my pockets of change, keysand put my Surefire, mini maglight andclear vinyl shaving kit with my 3 ounce containers of shampoo and other liquidsin the provided bins for the x-ray conveyor.I finished the coffee as everything passed into the x-ray machine, thenplaced the mug as instructed into a smaller bin that I was handed and placed it on the conveyor too.

WheelGun

imported post

Ugh. MREs. Who would eat that crap unless it was the only stuff around? Even on military bases you can get pizza delivered, we have it sentright to the HQ of our field training exercises, all the way out in the boonies.

I would buy a few boxes of granola bars.

Alexcabbie

imported post

You need to travel with MREs because you cant afford San Diego food? God bless ya, Boo. Sheesh.

I've had MREs in the pouch with the heater (that didn't work so well) and for one thing I really think they are more trouble than they are worth. When I was in the USAF we were trained on C-rations for which the procedure was: (1) open can with P38 (can opener not the German semiautomatic) (2) Open and light Sterno can (3) Cook the s^&t (4) choke down nourishment (5) extinguish Sterno and bury or pack out trash. None of this "add water/wait/lean against rock or something/enjoy cold food crap. Sure C-Rats are pretty much a choice of Spam, Spam, Spam; Spam Spam Spam and Spam (With Spam once in a while for variety) but MREs are IMO a long run for a short slide.

We used to have a kind of potluck where we would combine various CRat "entrees" and we called it by different names. Sometimes it was "What is this s%^t stew". On another day, it might be "What is this s&^t stew"; and again "what is this s&^T stew". Then there was "What is this s^&t stew". Other variations were "what is this s&^T stew" and "What is this s%^t, stew?"

But as to MREs, I would guess you could just pack them in checked baggage. Or go Amtrak or Greyhound. Good luck.

david.ross

imported post

MREs today are not like the saw dust MREs from 20 years ago, they taste okay now. I just wish MREs had the lovely bar of cocoa like C rats.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Maybe taste okay but a hassle to prepare. Good old Sterno heats stuff up faster and simpler than filling a bag up with water and hoping it will work as advertised. I DO see the point of putting stuff in a pouch instead of a can, but that damned chemical heater has GOT to go.

The particular MRE (and that stupid acronym can go with the heater. Why not call them "field rations". Cripes) that I acquainted myself with was "pork chow mein" and was quasi-delicious.