• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Los Angeles OC meet suggested.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I disagree with some of the suggested tactics above.

1) I do not think it is a good idea under any circumstances to call the police on yourself or any other open carrier. This activity is not about instigating contact with law enforcement, and besides- there are enough people out there (including 'pro-gunners)with an irrational fear of holstered weapons that they will call for us. If the police arent called, it only demonstrates that despite the assertions California will not tolerate the presence of evil guns, that it is acceptable behavior.

2) While large numbers are good, I dont believe they are necessary for a successful event. If there are 10 participants showing up at a particular event in a concentrated area, it is probably as effective as 60 participants spread out over a large area. With ten armed individuals, I believe police would have some difficulty in conducting (e) checks without cuffing everyone up, thus expanding the scope from a limited'inspection' to a full-flegeddetention without RAS.

Media will come in its own time- and I think like Mike does- there is no real distinction between 'good' and 'bad' media- Does that mean I think we should talk to all media under all circumstances? No- but what extent we engage them will be proportional to how we are characterized.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

I look at the calls as a version of self-defense procedure, akin to calling the police on the robber you just shot, before he can get medical attention and claim that you robbed HIM.

This way everyone would be on the record before their guns even left their trunks (and before any paranoiacs can start calling in) that they are law-abiding citizens, here are the laws covering our activity that we are in full compliance with, and please do not let the paranoiacs alarm you about non-existent threats at our locations.

Reporting your location for exclusion from civil rights violations should not be done every time you UOC, only as part of a group plan, for maximum effect.

stuckinchico

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I disagree with some of the suggested tactics above.

1) I do not think it is a good idea under any circumstances to call the police on yourself or any other open carrier. This activity is not about instigating contact with law enforcement, and besides- there are enough people out there (including 'pro-gunners)with an irrational fear of holstered weapons that they will call for us. If the police arent called, it only demonstrates that despite the assertions California will not tolerate the presence of evil guns, that it is acceptable behavior.

2) While large numbers are good, I dont believe they are necessary for a successful event. If there are 10 participants showing up at a particular event in a concentrated area, it is probably as effective as 60 participants spread out over a large area. With ten armed individuals, I believe police would have some difficulty in conducting (e) checks without cuffing everyone up, thus expanding the scope from a limited'inspection' to a full-flegeddetention without RAS.

Media will come in its own time- and I think like Mike does- there is no real distinction between 'good' and 'bad' media- Does that mean I think we should talk to all media under all circumstances? No- but what extent we engage them will be proportional to how we are characterized.
they do this to me every time up here. Ive voice out that they are violating my rights and they dont care

brokenbarrel

imported post

nukechaser wrote:
brokenbarrel wrote:
city of los angeles restricts holsters to police,armed security and ccw holders.........be careful city ord
Oh, look, it is my friend, Jack. I should greet him. (wait for it...)

Hi, Jack! :lol:
my name is not jack:p,but if you guys are going to look up a city ord make sure you look at all of the city:banghead:pacoima,van nuys,bel-air,hollywood ect.all are city of los angeles(and no im not talking about county).I worked in los angeles and not to tell everything city of los angeles runs all the way up to san fernando valley.POINT reseeda has an ord that makes it illegal to sell a handgun there still city of los angeles.Anyways do as you please but ignorance of the law is no excuse if you dont know dont go-LA county would be a better choice alhambra i know well as suggested cops there are stern but by the book.One last thing i should proble not post on this thread nomore i left the state last month...

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
...if you guys are going to look up a city ord make sure you look at all of the city:banghead:pacoima,van nuys,bel-air,hollywood ect.all are city of los angeles(and no im not talking about county).I worked in los angeles and not to tell everything city of los angeles runs all the way up to san fernando valley.POINT reseeda has an ord that makes it illegal to sell a handgun there still city of los angeles.Anyways do as you please but ignorance of the law is no excuse if you dont know dont go-LA county would be a better choice alhambra i know well as suggested cops there are stern but by the book.One last thing i should proble not post on this thread nomore i left the state last month...
I wasn't aware an area could be incorporated into two cities at once. Makes me wonder...

What if the two corporations (cities) introduced conflicting laws? How would that be resolved?

Anyhow, if you really want to help us out, then start by following the forum rules and citing a reference. Otherwise, I agree that you shouldn't post here.

mjones

imported post

I think what Broken is referring to is that the City of Los Angeles is like New Yorks 'borough' system. Its composed of distinct geographic areas which have the possibility of laws explicitly pertaining to that area.

I have no information to confirm or deny that such local ordinances are codified separately from City of LA code...I suspect that it would all be together. People call them 'cities' but technically I think they are called 'neighborhoods'

Map_LA%20City.gif

cato

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Yeah, gotta start small, think big... eventually.
Yes, just do a dinner or a lunch and KISS. Or better yet go to the long beach event that is close enough and stillin LA County.

charlston

imported post

Theseus wrote:
You guys need to hold on and understand what you have to work with.

In LA county you would be lucky to find more than a dozen people that OC. You will not be able to get enough to make a "media" case out of it.

Unless we could get the NorCal or SD crew in, we won't get anything more than a few people having dinner or a lunch. If we got families, then the number might go up, but by how much?

I think that if we do anything we arrange it like the SanDiego group did. Pick a restaurant that is supportive, organize and communicate with the local PD or sherrifs department.

Print out some pamphlets and if you can get someone of the media interested then great, but the best idea is to make sure that we and the police can behave ourselves before involving the media.
We can get enough people in LA. Other good idea is to OC and clean the trash from streets. We should start from somewhere!

coolusername2007

imported post

Theseus wrote:
You guys need to hold on and understand what you have to work with.

In LA county you would be lucky to find more than a dozen people that OC. You will not be able to get enough to make a "media" case out of it.

Unless we could get the NorCal or SD crew in, we won't get anything more than a few people having dinner or a lunch. If we got families, then the number might go up, but by how much?

I think that if we do anything we arrange it like the SanDiego group did. Pick a restaurant that is supportive, organize and communicate with the local PD or sherrifs department.

Print out some pamphlets and if you can get someone of the media interested then great, but the best idea is to make sure that we and the police can behave ourselves before involving the media.

I suspect the LA county numbers are growing, but like most a little prodding is required. Also as far as organizing goes that's what I'm proposing in another thread for a monthly regular meetup like at a Bass Pro Shop. See here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/29070-1.html

coolusername2007

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
If you did have over a hundred people you could really cause a fuss. All you'd have to do is to arrange for everybody to locate themselves in a spread out location and drive there with their firearm locked away. Once everybody is in position, everybody makes an anonymous phone call to the police department saying there is a man standing at <your location> with a gun in a holster, reading a newspaper (or standing around, or eating an apple, or whatever).
I wouldn't recommend such a plan. Any way you slice it, it would backfire, and make us look like antagonists putting the folks at risk of not having services available if needed. Rather we should be as peaceful and law-abiding as possible to build credibility with the folks while demonstrating large numbers of law-abiding open carriers aren't trouble but rather just like them.

coolusername2007

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
For a local meetup like originally considered in this thread, I would agree that 10 participants would be great. However, take a look at the other thread regarding a monthly meetup for a 4 county region. Anything less than 50 would be a disappointment.

american1978

imported post

TO DAY I OPEN CARRIED IN LOS ANGLES RODEO AND LABREA ITS IN THE CRENSHAW DISTRICT I WENT TO THE MARKET AND RIGHT BACK HOME I WAS SO SCARED AND THAT'S THE POINT WE CANT BE SCARED ANYMORE I WAS OUT ABOUT 20 MIN OR SO IT FELT GOOD TO KNOW I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING I WAS ASKED WHERE DID I GET MY LICENCE TO CARRY FROM ,,I SIMPLY TOLD THE MAN (NOT A COP) I WAS BORN IN AMERICA ,, I PLAN TO GO OUT WITH 2 FRIEND AND WERE GOING TO VIDEO TAPE WHAT HAPPENS ,,IF ANY ONE WANTS TO SET UP A MEETING IM THERE AND I HAVE ALL THE PAPER WORK TO PROVE WERE NOT BREAKING THE LAW YOU SHOULD HAVE ALL YOUR INFO TO