• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Violent weekend in Yakima Valley

cynicist

imported post

It should be pointed out the Outlook is technically classified as a village, with about 500 people. It's about three miles from where I live.

There were a few more non-injury drivebys in the area that I'm aware of, but there seemed to be not enough room for those.

http://www.dailysunnews.com/DSNNews1.shtml

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2009/07/21/search-for-evidence-at-deputy-shooting-site-ends

(not the same article as above)

Yakima Valley reels from violent weekend
Yakima Valley reels from violent weekend Mark Morey
Yakima Herald-Republic
Posted July 21, 2009
YAKIMA — A bludgeoning homicide, four injury shootings and an officer-involved shooting kept police busy during an unusually active weekend in Yakima County.

A Moxee police officer, fearing for his life, shot at an eluding suspect early Sunday as the man drove his pickup toward the officer off Rest Haven Road outside Selah, authorities said.

And a Yakima County sheriff's deputy was wounded while responding to a report of shots fired in Outlook. A spokeswoman for the Sunnyside Police Department, which is investigating, says the deputy was hit in the lower back just before midnight Monday and was treated at a hospital and released.

Meanwhile, the bludgeoning death of 42-year-old Daniel Simmons of Harrah brought to 14 the number of homicides reported in Yakima County this year. Simmons, a member of the Quinault tribe on the Olympia Peninsula, was the second Native American killed this year on the Yakama reservation.

Simmons was beaten to death with baseball bats in an apparent feud with neighbors. Three men have been arrested in the fatal assault. The sheriff's office says the men had a running feud with the victim.

At least two of the four shootings reported from Yakima to Outlook were thought to involve gang rivals, police said. Victims were critically wounded in two of the cases.

The most serious incident, the Simmons homicide, was reported about 8 p.m. Sunday near his house in the 5500 block of South Harrah Road.

Sheriff's detectives said a running feud between neighbors ended with Simmons fatally bludgeoned to death.

About three hours later, a shooting believed to be gang-related injured two men in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven store in the 800 block of East Yakima Avenue.

A 27-year-old Yakima man, described by police as a gang associate, suffered a gunshot wound to his back. He was being treated at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition Monday night.

A 30-year-old Yakima man was shot in the back and lower left leg. The man, described by police as an admitted gang member, was treated at Yakima Regional Medical and Cardiac Center.

Also on Sunday evening, a shooting in Outlook left a 36-year-old Sunnyside man with a noncritical gunshot wound to the top of the head.

Sheriff's officials said he was apparently shot accidentally when someone in a passing Chevrolet Blazer opened fire on the house next door, where a gathering that included children was taking place. The intended target of the shooting apparently left before deputies arrived, according to a news release.

In Toppenish, one person was hit by gunfire shortly after midnight Saturday.

Officers discovered the victim after responding to a report of shots being fired around 12:10 a.m. Sunday in the 800 block of Guyette Lane.

Witnesses told police they saw a group of 10 to 15 people in the area before the shooting, but officers said they were unable to locate any other victims.

Meanwhile, the victim of a Yakima shooting early Saturday remained in critical condition at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center. And the 24-year-old man who allegedly shot him was being held in the county jail on $250,000 bail.

Tawnos

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
:cuss:More fodder for the anti-gun libs,funny thing is,most libs are also anti-cop.
Not sure what fodder is provided, the only death was due to baseball bats. The article points out that most of the other instances are gang-related. Of course, you'd have to get through that if you're participating in gang activity, you're not going to care about a law that says "no guns." Still, doesn't seem to be a bad article to point out that even a "safe, small town" has issues.

cynicist

imported post

Of course, you'd have to get through that if you're participating in gang activity, you're not going to care about a law that says "no guns."

...which seems to be impossible this day and age. If guns are illegal, or just illegal to carry, then criminals will not be able to carry them. Simple as that.

TriCityOC

imported post

Tawnos wrote:

a "safe, small town" has issues.

Believe me, Outlook, Sunnyside, Toppenish, Zillah...none of these are considered safe small towns by anyone living in the area. These have all been hot beds of latino gang activity for years. It seems to be the Forward Line of Troops for the Yakima Area Norteno gangs and the Tri-City Area Sureno gangs. It is one area where open carry might not be the best course of action tactically speaking. Where there is so much gang violence a visible gun on a civillian might be viewed as a challenge that the gang(s) would need to meet. It might be better to have a tactically concealed weapon that could be deployed as needed thus preserving the element of surprise.

SANDRAT

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:
:cuss:More fodder for the anti-gun libs,funny thing is,most libs are also anti-cop.
Not sure what fodder is provided, the only death was due to baseball bats. The article points out that most of the other instances are gang-related. Of course, you'd have to get through that if you're participating in gang activity, you're not going to care about a law that says "no guns." Still, doesn't seem to be a bad article to point out that even a "safe, small town" has issues.
To the liberal mind,these are gun crimes,it doesn't matter if it was commited by a felon with an iliegally aquired firearm
Liberalism is a true sickness,if you try logic with a liberal,you might as well beat your head on a wall.They do not understand the concept of lawful firearms ownership.

SANDRAT

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:
To the liberal mind,these are gun crimes,it doesn't matter if it was commited by a felon with an iliegally aquired firearm
Liberalism is a true sickness,if you try logic with a liberal,you might as well beat your head on a wall.They do not understand the concept of lawful firearms ownership.

SANDRAT

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
SANDRAT wrote:

cynicist

imported post

Where there is so much gang violence a visible gun on a civillian might be viewed as a challenge that the gang(s) would need to meet. It might be better to have a tactically concealed weapon that could be deployed as needed thus preserving the element of surprise.
I hear you. I live in Sunnyside, and rarely OC in the area.

And not to be anal, but about 80% of the gangs in Sunnyside and Outlook are Sureno, Toppenish is about 90% Sureno, Granger, Grandview, and Yakima are about 50/50.

compmanio365

imported post

cynicist wrote:
Where there is so much gang violence a visible gun on a civillian might be viewed as a challenge that the gang(s) would need to meet. It might be better to have a tactically concealed weapon that could be deployed as needed thus preserving the element of surprise.
I hear you. I live in Sunnyside, and rarely OC in the area.
Hmm, I have OC'd in the middle of gang territory, on Hilltop and over by the Tacoma Mall.....I have never had any issue, and have had at least one time where my OC stopped me from having issues with a group of gang members.

cynicist

imported post

Hmm, I have OC'd in the middle of gang territory, on Hilltop and over by the Tacoma Mall.....I have never had any issue, and have had at least one time where my OC stopped me from having issues with a group of gang members.

It's almost all circumstantial, and you have to really get a feel for it, and your appearance is a huge factor. If you're a mid-forties white male with a gut and mustache, they'll just think you're a cop and probably leave the area as casually as possible. If you're (like me) a male with a shaved head in your young 20s wearing shorts and a wife-beater (it's in the 100s out here) walking through a residential area, then the story is very different. Being white makes no difference, since probably 10-15% of the "latino" gang members are Anglo. The Yakima PD even classfy the Nortenos as a "Hispanic/Caucasian" gang.
There's so many tiny factors that you would just have to get accustomed to to know when and where in an area like this, and how to avoid problems when you are spotted OCing by six cholos standing guard. I used to like across the street from a gang house in one of the worse parts of Sunnyside, and over time I observed that they have very organized lookout methods, such as whistling that gets repeated on every block with variations to signal for different things (I noted when I first moved in that every time I went out on my porch in the middle of the night to smoke there were whistles from three different directions) they have "guards" up by the street whenever there is a gathering in the yard and keep a close eye on anyone who passes by and usually have a hand tucked under the shirt (scared the sh*t out of me at first.) I "heard about" several drivebys being thwarted by observant home occupants that ended up chasing the car when I was there. Once I met a couple of them they stopped staring at me so intently when walking by. My point is that theres places that cholos keep a strong lookout for anyone with a gun, and since most of the "drivebys" are actually "get out and shoot" they watch the foot traffic, and are likely to have more firepower.