• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi from Kelso, new member looking to OC

tannerwaterbury

imported post

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on the boards, been a lurker for a while but decided to go ahead and join the forums. Ive been looking into not only getting a CPL but also OCing too. Also, since I dont have a pistol just yet, I am looking for suggestions into what sort of Pistol I should get at a pretty good price, and also where around the Kelso Longview area I can train into becoming a skilled shooter?

cynicist

imported post

For all the bad rap a Hi-point gets, I recommend it as a starter pistol. I got mine $120 new at the gun shop, and at the range it had the same ratio of jams as the guys with the Glock and Ruger LCP I was there with. (1 in 70)

(Edit - f*cking typos)

James06

imported post

Welcome to the forum!:cool:

Yeah i agree with cynicist hi point is a good starter gun. I personally had a hi point .40 to start with and it shot great.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Also consider used pistols. You can get a used S&W 5906 for about $350 or a Ruger P-series for around the same or less.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

cynicist wrote:
For all the bad rap a Hi-point gets, I recommend it as a starter pistol.  I got mine $120 new at the gun shop, and at the range it had the same ratio of jams as the guys with the Glock and Ruger LCP I was there with.  (1 in 70)

(Edit - f*cking typos)

:shock:

I put 8-10K rounds through my Glock 17. I had ONE FTF, and that was my own fault because the mag wasn't seated properly.. A quick TRB fixed that.... That was the ONLY malfunction I EVER had.

I've put about 500 rounds through my G21SF, brand new out of the box, ZERO malfunctions.

I expect perfection out of my weapons. Anything less means a possible death sentence (A wee bit dramatic, but it's true).

Metalhead47

imported post

cynicist wrote:
For all the bad rap a Hi-point gets, I recommend it as a starter pistol. I got mine $120 new at the gun shop, and at the range it had the same ratio of jams as the guys with the Glock and Ruger LCP I was there with. (1 in 70)

(Edit - f*cking typos)
+1

My wife & I have four Hi-Points (two 9mm's, .45, 9mm carbine). Several hundred rounds thru, especially the C9's. The ONLY jams we've had are when using brand-new mags that havn't broken in yet, and once when I was resting it on the bottom of the mag while bench shooting (a known cause of jams). Plus you can't beat the warranty (lifetime no questions asked). Only thing I don't like is that they have a single action first shot, but that's just personal preference.

Tawnos

imported post

cynicist wrote:

(Edit - f*cking typos)
Holy crap, 1 in 70 failure? That's one failure per two boxes of ammo. I've had one failure with my XD, and that was with a box of not-round wolf (failed to eject the oval round).

p2a1x7

imported post

I'm going to be picking up my first pistol soon (November). I'm planning on getting a .45 XD. $490 new. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

Anyone have suggestions for holsters? I'm leaning towards an OWB (most likely Serpa) so I can conceal and open carry.

I think these just clicked,
FTF = Failure to feed?
FTE = Failure to Eject?

joeroket

imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
I'm going to be picking up my first pistol soon (November).  I'm planning on getting a .45 XD.  $490 new.  http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

Anyone have suggestions for holsters?  I'm leaning towards an OWB (most likely Serpa) so I can conceal and open carry.

FTF = Failure to feed?
FTE = Failure to Eject?

Correct.

FTF also = Failure to Fire

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

p2a1x7 wrote:
I'm going to be picking up my first pistol soon (November). I'm planning on getting a .45 XD. $490 new. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

Anyone have suggestions for holsters? I'm leaning towards an OWB (most likely Serpa) so I can conceal and open carry.

FTF = Failure to feed?
FTE = Failure to Eject?
Welcome p2a1x7,

Of course you can go with a one size fits all holster but, I would recommend that you look for a specialized CC holster for true CC. I found an excellent IWB holster at http://www.activeprogear.com/index.html that concealed so well that I was able to carry wearing nothing but shorts and looked completed inconspicuous.

I’m not sure you could pull this off with an XD45 but I had no problems with my Kahr P9.

p2a1x7

imported post

Thanks for the site T-RaV, bookmarked it for the future. I haven't decided if I'm getting a compact yet, but if I do I'm sure I won't have too much of a problem concealing it with one of those. I also like the jogging rig. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be for a 3-4 hour bike ride, but I'm sure it would beat any other way to carry.

I'm still in Pullman for one more year, so I cannot carry 24/7 and I'm still going to be a poor college guy. My father was generous enough to "buy" my sks + 600 rounds for $500 so all that money is going to the Pistol. Then I still need to get my CPL/holster and ammo. So I'm looking for a holster to OC and CC with until I get a decent paying job. Once I'm out of here I'll be getting a specialized CC holster since I'll be carrying to more places that the grocery store and occasional restaurant.