• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry rifles / shotgun?

Drinking Beer

imported post

Last week I was open carrying my 44 on wilderness hikes in the Potter County area in Susquehannock State Forest. Nothing eventful and I never even saw another person but I did find some large black bear scat and trails.

Nothing is more of a freedom to walk the wild landscape with your pistol legally by your side, but I was wondering if carrying a rifle or shotgun is allowed?

I would feel safer with a shotgun when I sleep 100 yards from bear trails.

This is not a debate about bears, attacks, or caliber sizes!

I only want to know if I can legally open carry a long arm in Pennsylvania State forest. Is anyone aware of carrying long arms in PA?

Mr. D

imported post

Are state forests different from state parks? Because, afaik, OC is not legal in PA state parks.

~Dale

knighted4

imported post

Mr. D wrote:
Are state forests different from state parks? Because, afaik, OC is not legal in PA state parks.

~Dale

+1 only cc in state parks

knighted4

Drinking Beer

imported post

Wonderer wrote:
I assume there might be some evidence to back up your claim? Do you claim "yes" because of the same purpose that applies to open carrying pistols?

Honestly, you should try and explain yourselves. Be more methodical before you just type one word or syllable as advice that has the potential to send someone to jail. Seriously, I would hope you can have some credibility and validity to your claim, or else this is useless speculation that can get impressionable readers into big time legal troubles.

I tried reading up the laws, yet I am still undecided. Is there any other references that someone can send me concerning PA firearm statutes.

This is the site I am attempting to dig through the PA statutes for anything pertaining to long arms. (I put spaces and *'s encase this site blocks links....)

* http *:// * www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act * . *htm*