• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act Fails

suntzu

imported post

Both senators from Tennessee voted for the amendment...

even though it was a 10th Amendment violation, it is still a good idea on the surface simply because the states will not come together and respect the Constitution--specifically the 2nd Amendment and Article 4 Sec. 1 of the Constitution....

The only issues I have is that the feds will get the idea--well you accepted that we "gave" you this right to carry, so now you will accept that we can "take it back"--along with the rest of the 2nd Amendment....that is the major issue I have with it.

KansasMustang

imported post

IF the Feds had passed this IMHO it would have opened the door to more Federal meddling into the States business. And as stated prior to, that if they could "give" they could retract. I think that it belongs at the State level. Fact is, I don't believe in PERMITS to carry concealed. It'a asking PERMISSION for something that is already a right guarenteed by the 2A. Background check is okay, don't mind that, already had one much more thorough than any county cop shop could do. But not everyone has, so I wouldn't mind if that were to take place. But to ask permission,,,BS

crisisweasel

imported post

Give it time guys. I would point out that this got as far as it did during a time when Democrats controlled house, senate, and presidency.

When that collapses next election (which it may be if Republicans can pull themselves together and get serious for ten minutes), we'll maybe give it another go.

The important thing here is to look forward and *make this an issue* in the midterm elections.

I will say it was surreal - almost psychedelic - to hear the Left use a states rights argument.

Dustin

imported post

Here's the e-mail I got from our Senator Vitter;
Dear Friend,

Last week I offered an amendment with Senator Thune to the Department of Defense authorization bill that would have allowed law abiding citizens to exercise their fundamental right to self-defense.

Under our amendment, individuals with conceal carry permits from their home state, or who are otherwise allowed to carry a firearm in their home state, would have been allowed to carry in any other state that issues permits as long as they followed the host state laws.

Unfortunately, pro-gun control senators forced our amendment to have a 60 vote threshold, and while our amendment passed overwhelmingly by a margin of 58-39, the amendment fell two votes shy of the 60 vote threshold.

But I will continue fighting to pass our conceal carry reciprocity bill and for other measures that support the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families.

Sincerely,

<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/images/vitter_signature.gif>

David Vitter

U.S. Senator