• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol free zone signs

hopnpop

imported post

HankT wrote:
Cost and risk are BIG factors in retail store policies. It's kind of, uhm, business-like to take those things into consideration. Very normal. Management has an imperative to deal with those kinds of things, making the best decisions for the owners of the firm.

Making the firm liable for our safety is a fine idea--if it could be done. But how?

And what impact would such a change cause in the way of operations expenses? And, subsequently, to prices?
Very good points, logical and true. However, what about the examples that the vast majority of OC-friendly establishments have made? I can't think of a single issue, ever, anywhere, of an establishment being held liable for anything a legal OC-er has ever done. I don't know of any establishment ever having to pay a dime, either directly or indirectly,for being OC-friendly. Can anyone?

mrjam2jab

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
No different than carrying into someone's house? I beg to differ - it's very different. My house, as well as every other house I know of, is NOT open to the public. Homes are not stocking up shelves and relying on patrons to buy items. To me, open to the public means just that - open to the public. If someone is violating a law on their premises, that's one thing - but not allowing a perfectly legal action such as wearing a holstered weapon is something entirely different.

It IS private property...and they could therefore kick you out for wearing a blue shirt on a Wednesday if they so desired.

hopnpop

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
hopnpop wrote:
No different than carrying into someone's house? I beg to differ - it's very different. My house, as well as every other house I know of, is NOT open to the public. Homes are not stocking up shelves and relying on patrons to buy items. To me, open to the public means just that - open to the public. If someone is violating a law on their premises, that's one thing - but not allowing a perfectly legal action such as wearing a holstered weapon is something entirely different.
It IS private property...and they could therefore kick you out for wearing a blue shirt on a Wednesday if they so desired.

You're exactly right. They could kick me out for wearing a blue shirt on Wednesday, sure, but I'd still give 'em crap about it.

I guess it strikes me as hypocracy and discrimination. Hypocracy because like I said, "open to the public" should be just that - open to the public. Discrimination because I put the belief of being armed right in line with religion. To me, them saying they'll only cater to non-armed people is the equivalent of saying they'll only cater to Catholics. Carrying a gun isn't something I do for kicks - it's a strong belief of mine, just as religion is a strong belief in people. To me, that type of discrimination is intolerable.

So yes, you'recorrect - it IS their right. ...But I feel I'm correct, too - that it's wrong!

Lazarus142

imported post

Just wonder what would happen if that same business would not allow Christians wearing crosses or Jews wearing yarmulkes on their premises.Is the right to exerciseof religion different from the right to bear arms?

hopnpop

imported post

Lazarus142 wrote:
Just wonder what would happen if that same business would not allow Christians wearing crosses or Jews wearing yarmulkes on their premises.Is the right to exerciseof religion different from the right to bear arms?
I think that would purely depend on who you ask. To me, I see them as parallels. They're both s'posed to be inalienable rights, Constitutional rights. The only difference between them if you were to ask me, is the number of the Amendment that they're under. I'm sure others, maybe even the majority, feel differently.

h2ofowl

imported post

Maybe we should start a religion with guns as our symbol of our beliefs and sign of our religion!!! Now wonder what kind of issues that would create?

N00blet45

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:
Now that would make a good t-shirt to wear to a store that has banned guns
That got me thinking... Want a great boycott idea? Print up a half dozen of these signs on shirts and get a few people together to stand at the establishment's driveway (where it's legal and not loitering). I'd think that would at least turn some heads.
You could rent a billboard along the roadside just before entering a anti-firearm city/state that says "entering victim disarmament zone" and put some fancy graphics on it.

Perhaps a little viral campaign is in order? We could print out small signs and put them along the main roads or at intersections that ask people if they feel safer knowing that they can't legally defend themselves with a firearm.

hopnpop

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
You could rent a billboard along the roadside just before entering a anti-firearm city/state that says "entering victim disarmament zone" and put some fancy graphics on it.

Perhaps a little viral campaign is in order? We could print out small signs and put them along the main roads or at intersections that ask people if they feel safer knowing that they can't legally defend themselves with a firearm.

As far as a billboard, now we're talking serious $$$. I think they run the ballpark of $600+/month. Love the idea tho. This summer I saw the 1st and only Pro 2A billboard I've ever seen. It read: "Why carry a gun? ...Because policemen are too heavy!" Loved it.

Anyway, your mention of small signage reminded me of something that occurred to me a while back. I should see how the whole "adopt-a-highway" thing works - I thought it'd be nice to see some stretches of highway "adopted" and maintained by OCDO or Michigan Open Carry. I mean, we do litter pick-ups, why not adopt a highway and do litter pickups there, too? I'll look into that a little and see how that works. It's not a viral campaign but still would push our agenda in a positive manner. Thoughts?

N00blet45

imported post

GCO (Georgia Carry dot Org) does adopt-a-highway in Georgia. It's positive exposure and from what I understand all it requires to maintain the sign is litter pickup twice a year.

r6-rider

imported post

h2ofowl wrote:
Maybe we should start a religion with guns as our symbol of our beliefs and sign of our religion!!! Now wonder what kind of issues that would create?
then we would get called religious fanatics (or extremist) and get labeled and domestic terrorist. but it would still be funny to start and you could defiantly play the 1st amendment out on that one

hopnpop

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
GCO (Georgia Carry dot Org) does adopt-a-highway in Georgia. It's positive exposure and from what I understand all it requires to maintain the sign is litter pickup twice a year.

I checked it out some. It's free, there are 3 pickups a year, dept. of trans provides & requires vests, it's blocked into 2-mile incriments, andin two-year blocks. That's about it. Before every pickup they require you to watch some short safety video - that's a drag but not a biggy. That about covers it. I was hoping they'd have a map that showed 'vacant' road sections, but that would be way too convenient. It looks like I have to apply, then see what's avail, I guess. I didn't find a way to check locations online. Doable, I think, depending on location.

hopnpop

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
h2ofowl wrote:
then we would get called religious fanatics (or extremist) and get labeled and domestic terrorist. but it would still be funny to start and you could defiantly play the 1st amendment out on that one
No doubt!! You think some lable us as 'loony' now? Sheeeot. I can hear the Koresh rhetoric now... :lol:

architect

imported post

h2ofowl wrote:
You'd have holy wars among the Glocktists, the Sigilites, and the Order of the Browning that would make the Crusades look like kid's play. Oh wait...not too different from what we have now!

protias

imported post

architect wrote:
h2ofowl wrote:
You'd have holy wars among the Glocktists, the Sigilites, and the Order of the Browning that would make the Crusades look like kid's play. Oh wait...not too different from what we have now!
How dare you forget the mighty and holy Springfielders! :p

jeeper1

imported post

Does that mean my religion could change depending upon what I choose to carry that day? Or even be multi-religious if I am carrying a different brand of BUG?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
Does that mean my religion could change depending upon what I choose to carry that day? Or even be multi-religious if I am carrying a different brand of BUG?
Well, that would be the harolded "Firearmist". They would besort ofa universalevangelical group.

FiremanJoe

imported post

Now here is a couple of signs I would like to see more of......

Actually have printed off one of the notice for my friends biz....

(click on thumbnail pic for larger)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

h2ofowl wrote:
Maybe we should start a religion with guns as our symbol of our beliefs and sign of our religion!!!

Actually, that's probably an idea that would work...if done correctly.

How about Gabriel Possenti's Witnesses?

OrChurch of Scatter Gun Saints?

Or Nation of Blam Blam!?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

HankT wrote:
h2ofowl wrote:
Maybe we should start a religion with guns as our symbol of our beliefs and sign of our religion!!!

Actually, that's probably an idea that would work...if done correctly.

How about Gabriel Possenti's Witnesses?

OrChurch of Scatter Gun Saints?

Or Nation of Blam Blam!?
Or, Jehovah EAA Witnesses