• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

spreading the word about OC

mja1000

imported post

So, as I was getting gas at a local truck stop the other day, OCing of course, I was thinking how many people are actually going to see me carrying. I choose to OC for more reasons than just self defense. I really want to educate and remind others of the rights and personal liberties that they have. I look over and see two guys looking at a bulletin board hanging on the wall. It’s full of personal for sale ads, ads for local fairs, live music etc.

I think to myself, “why don’t I post something up there about OC and Wisconsin Gun Rights.” Most of the time I’m either at work, or driving somewhere so it’s hard to get the word out in my small community when people have the rare chance of seeing someone actually OCing. So I looked around town more, and almost all of the local gas stations, the grocery store, etc all have bulletin boards where people are posting all sorts of personal for sale ads, events, etc.

So I went home and printed off a bunch of OpenCarry.org posters(nothing fancy..just OPENCARRY.ORG in big bold letters) and a bunch of the Wisconsin OC Pamphlets. I put up the posters/pamphlets around town and have been monitoring the supply of pamphlets. I am happy to say that people are actually taking them. So, now I carry a bunch with me in my car, and restock as necessary. I also stay on the lookout for any place that has a public bulletin board to post in the surrounding communities.

I realize this is kind of an old school approach, but it may be the best way to maintain an awareness is smaller communities like mine. Or, at least educate the local police department on the facts!

Enough rambling on, I just wanted to put this idea out there, and see if anyone else has had any luck trying a similar approach.

Woodchuck

imported post

mja1000 wrote:
I realize this is kind of an old school approach, but it may be the best way to maintain an awareness is smaller communities like mine. Or, at least educate the local police department on the facts!

Enough rambling on, I just wanted to put this idea out there, and see if anyone else has had any luck trying a similar approach.

Grass roots get chit done. Nice idea, gonna start doing the same here in the LaCrosse area.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nice job mja and welcome to the website! I think that probably is the best way to do it.

Even just having a add thing with the little pull-off strips with a link to opencarry.org would be nice. I don't know about you guys, but hearing things on the radio or just reading something somewhere, I normally forget by the time I get home. But having the pamphlets or just a pull-off strip that will remind you when you get home should help a lot!