• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentop now has a sign

Lie2me

imported post

I went to Greentop today and noticed this sign. To me, it reads as if the "average citizen" OC'er without a CHP can not bring in a loaded firearm. I asked inside and (without spending a lot of time as I was in a hurry) was told that essentially that "just keep it in your holster" and "don't try out a new holster with a loaded gun." I get this, and am very much aware of the need for stringent safety.I am also aware that they are well within their right to do so. They have a reputation for frowning upon open carriers, but now it seems they have put this in writing. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about this. I have not sees signs like this elsewhere (i.e. Degoff's, Bass Pro, Southern) and have OC'd at those places as recently as today.

curtiswr

imported post

I've been in there twice since the sign has been put up. I have my CHP but always OC into the store. They can't read my mind and they don't know that I have my CHP (just got it recently, no purchases where I showed it or anything like that) but they have never questioned me with regards to it. As no incident has happened with regards to a ND or anything, that I know of, I really can't help but think it has to do with OCers, as I never exactly get a good vibe from the folks behind the counter about my OCing.

Maybe they should have the opposite of a receipt checker upon exit and have a CHP checker upon entrance? :uhoh:

Regardless, they are trying really hard to lose any business I have there, be it for a 2 dollar bottle of oil or 700 dollar gun.

Lie2me

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Maybe they should have the opposite of a receipt checker upon exit and have a CHP checker upon entrance? :uhoh:

Regardless, they are trying really hard to lose any business I have there, be it for a 2 dollar bottle of oil or 700 dollar gun.
I agree. I've been going there since I was a little kid. I've noticedthat their counter service is unpredictable. Sometimes folks are patient and polite (the older gentlemen on average). But the younger guys can be downright arrogant jerks who could care less and seem bothered that I ask questions.

Marco

imported post

I OC'd there on Sunday.
Maybe the crew wasn't friendly because I was OC'ing?
Do they always ignore customers?
Had planned on getting a set of grips (for a gun that was at home)but thedemeanor of the staff caused me to change my mind.
My firearm was not handled at anytime while there.

Sign or no sign I won't be back.

Sheriff

imported post

What exactly is CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HOLDERS?

Seems like they, of all people, should know the correct term is CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT HOLDERS.

I have a very strong suspicion this sign is now required by their insurance carrier. The liability hasprobably been overlooked for years by their insurance carrier, but they finally got around to tightening up on it. Just my opinion though. I have nospecific firsthand knowledge to back this suspicion though.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I remember always seeing that same wording (could be different signs) for the past 6 years that I have been going there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've been dealing with Greentops for nearly 40 years..or it may be over 40, I'm not sure.

I got along well with Cecil even though he could be a gruff old goat.
I have been friends with Donnie, Pat, Joe and Ricky for all that time and that's what keeps me coming back.

I am treated pretty well when I go there.

A couple of the newer employees are more Walmart class than the rest, but on the whole, they are good to deal with.

Early on, they were the only large and well stocked place around. In those days it was common for gun stores to forbid loaded guns in the store and it was mostly because of insurance regulations. It was enforced very selectively though.

I remember one time at the counter, a customer wanted to see a S&W 39. They didn't have one on the rack but had one coming. Donnie knew I carried one and asked if I minded the fellow looking at it. I pulled it out, unloaded it and after looking at mine, he put down a deposit.

When the old timers retire, I may stop dealing with them...but not because of a policy older than many of the members here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Town Police has a similar sign, as does Southern Gun World. TTI tacticalon Route 1has a sign that only LE may carry inside.

Everyone has their own thing in life, I guess.I don't allow live ammo in my classroom either. :)
I also and used to require that all guns were cleared prior to entering building. Entering the class room, they were checked by me or an assistant then put in a safe condition and left on top of the desk - Do Not Touch except as directed. Mini-lecture about no handling & no sweeping started the session even before introducing myself.

DeGoeffs used to have a "No Loaded Guns" sign. Can't recall whether it is still up or not - just don't look for it anymore. It was small price of gray cardboard and written in ball point.

Yata hey

kennys

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I OC'd there on Sunday.
Had planned on getting a set of grips (for a gun that was at home)but thedemeanor of the staff caused me to change my mind.

I have been there several times OC and CC. It is just dependant on who you are dealing with. They sometimes have a large volume of people and I can imagine that sometimes they get a little frustrated at the just looking crowds. If you really want to talk about somebody having a bad nasty attitude, try going to Gander mountain a few times you are certain to run into the one I am talking about.

mercutio545

imported post

kennys wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I OC'd there on Sunday.

I have been there several times OC and CC. It is just dependant on who you are dealing with. They sometimes have a large volume of people and I can imagine that sometimes they get a little frustrated at the just looking crowds. If you really want to talk about somebody having a bad nasty attitude, try going to Gander mountain a few times you are certain to run into the one I am talking about.
+1000000

They accused me of trying to do a "straw purchase" when I was going to buy a pistol as a gift for my girlfriend, who could legally buy a pistol by herself. I will never return to Gander Mountain again.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I have a very strong suspicion this sign is now required by their insurance carrier. The liability hasprobably been overlooked for years by their insurance carrier, but they finally got around to tightening up on it. Just my opinion though. I have nospecific firsthand knowledge to back this suspicion though.

If that is the case there should be no problem. If you’re insurance company requires the posting that is fine. They can require me to post a sign barring criminals but that does not require me to interrogate or do background checks on everybody that walks through the door. The store can take the position since it is posted it is assumed everyone entering with loaded guns are either LEO or CHP’s.

edited font size

Marco

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
kennys wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
I won't be back.
try going to Gander mountain a few times you are certain to run into the one I am talking about.
+1000000

They accused me of trying to do a "straw purchase" when I was going to buy a pistol as a gift for my girlfriend, who could legally buy a pistol by herself. I will never return to Gander Mountain again.
I would've compalined to the mgr @ GT if I thought it would help, all the employees seemed to be on the same page, so I just ignored it and will do business elsewhere.

As for dealing with large corps I would definitely complain, it can't hurt.
I have used my VC many times to allow a mgr to hear the crap their employees say.

TFred

imported post

kennys wrote:
... If you really want to talk about somebody having a bad nasty attitude, try going to Gander mountain a few times you are certain to run into the one I am talking about.
If you're talking about the Gander Mountain just north of 295 around Richmond... I honestly don't know how they stay in business. I've been there a few times, and have never seen more than a dozen cars in the parking lot.

Now with Bass Pro just around the corner, there is writing on the wall.

TFred