• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Education at the Fairbanks Public Library

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

I was in the Fairbanks library over the weekend and happened to notice the sign on the entrance prohibiting weapons. Last night a sent a quick email to the manager and received a response this morning. All is good.

Dear Mr. Hill,

I recently made a trip to the Noel Wien Public library to pick up my daughter who was studying. While waiting for my daughter I had the opportunity to spend some time reading your policy sign on the entrance wall. I became concerned when I read that weapons were not allowed in the library. It is my belief that this policy is in direct conflict with AS 29.35.145. Regulation of Firearms.

Upon arriving home I decided to research the library policies on your web site to see if the sign on the wall was just outdated. Again I found the same statement “Possession of a weapon unless in performance of official duties” is not allowed. This can be found under Patron Conduct section II Principals of Conduct.

I always openly carry (in full view) my holstered firearm with me, and do not want to have any problems with either the borough or any local law enforcement agencies. I feel that should I or someone else be arrested for carrying a firearm in the library it could result in a costly lawsuit against the borough.

Can you please clarify the library policy for me by explaining why the borough library is exempt from AS 29.35.145. If you come to the conclusion that the policy is unenforceable, I would suggest that the signage be removed as to not confuse other law-abiding citizens who carry firearms.

Sincerely,

Thomas P. Gilligan

Here is the response

Hello Mr. Gilligan,

Thanks for contacting me with your concern about the library’s Patron Conduct Policy. For many years local law enforcement and the borough’s Legal Department interpreted state law so that firearms couldn’t be brought into the library. However, the borough’s Legal Department staff recently advised me that public libraries aren’t exempt from AS 29.35.145.

Consequently I’ll recommend amending the library’s Patron Conduct Policy to the FNSB Library Commission at their next meeting, which will occur August 18. The Library Commission is the citizen panel that provides public oversight and input, and they will review the change, but they are advisory in nature on this policy. This amendment will be enforced immediately, and the online policy and sign changed, once the commission is informed.

In the meantime, we’ll obscure the part of the sign dealing with weapons. Once the commission is informed the signage will be permanently changed. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Greg Hill

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Thats what I thought also, but everything turned out good.

One thing that I didn't mention is that the reply from the manager was copied to both the HR Director and the borough attorney. I think that when Greg said he was recently advised, he means at about 8:01 A.M. this morning. I am not sure but that is my opinion.

Decoligny

imported post

CarolinaCarrier wrote:
with all those books in a library you would think they know that!!!

That like saying "with all the booze in the liquor store you would think the cashier would be drunk!!!" :lol:

Just because he runs the place doesn't mean he partakes of the wares.

david.ross

imported post

I had a similar incident at the Homer Public Library last month. The librarians even brought the fact up to my attention, so I corrected them. They're fixing the issue soon and won't be informing anyone firearms aren't allowed in the library.

Alaskan Shooter

imported post

Good job Kangaroo

Things are going good in Fairbanks.

I hope to meet you one of these days. I get down that way once or twice a year, maybe we can have lunch next time I'm in Homer.

david.ross

imported post

If you're going to come, get a GPS unit and find my geocaches I've placed in Homer. Everyone seems to love the caches I place.