• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in National Forests?

Eamus Catuli

imported post

Is it legal to open carry in Utah'snational forests?

As a sub question I guess, is it legal to carry a shotgun on a backpack while hiking/camping/fishing in the national forests as well?

Amendment 2

imported post

I believe from what I have read the law wont go in affect until FEB 2010. I could be wrong I will search and get back with a positive answer

Amendment 2

imported post

well as far as your sub question goes no citizen can have any type of firearm in a national park until Feb 2010. as far as a Utah national forest and open carrying I have no idea on that. I would say no off the top of my head but as we all know that is not good enough the law is what counts.

Mark (IL)

imported post

In general, National Forests honor state law (unless otherwise posted); Utah OC law is tricky-see state info elsewhere on opencarry.org site, re 2 actions from firing. No clue on UT shotgun law, I'd just call the Forest office and ask (I can attest a 12 gauge gets heavy...remember no grizzlies in UT). I have had issues in other National Forests with carrying 12 gauge as rangers assume one may be hunting outside season ... Switched to handgun, all good. W/CCW honored in UT, you'd have no problem, either open or concealed is allowed w/CCW, fully loaded ... by my non-attorney reading ...

swillden

imported post

Mark (IL) wrote:
In general, National Forests honor state law (unless otherwise posted); Utah OC law is tricky-see state info elsewhere on opencarry.org site, re 2 actions from firing.
National Forests are just fine. The only regulations the forest service has are about discharging within a certain distance of an official campsite, or buildings. 200 feet if I remember it correctly. I wouldn't shoot anywhere near them anyway, just out of politeness. Federal law does prohibit carry in federal facilities, which would include visitor centers, ranger offices, etc. Other than that, state law applies.

Regarding OC without a permit, Utah only prohibits loaded OC on public streets. It doesn't define exactly what a public street is, but it seems reasonable that it refers to roads. If you're off the road, you should be fine to OC fully loaded without a permit. Even on the road, nobody is likely to hassle you, though it's best to keep it "Utah-unloaded" (two actions from firing, no round in firing position).

And, of course, if you have a permit from ANY state, Utah honors it, so the question about roads goes away entirely.

I spent last weekend in Uintah National Forest with a .357 on my hip and a .380 in my pocket the whole time (I have a Utah CFP).

ScottyT

imported post

Eamus Catuli wrote:
So is it likely if I carry my shotgun on my pack, I will gethasseled by the rangers?
It's possible, but as long as you stay out of Federal Buildings as mentioned above, you are just fine. The only ban is for National Parks -- not sure if that includes National Monuments as well...

bmeldrum

imported post

This might help, this was sort of talked about in another thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/26374.html

I like what(swillden) said & I quote in speaking about whether visitor center restrooms or outside onesare okay: "I think you're safe going to the bathroom in one of the parking lot bathrooms (I doubt Federal employees regularly perform their official duties there), but if you go into a visitor center you're clearly at risk."

:banghead:I gotta pee!!

combatcarry

imported post

Eamus Catuli wrote:
So is it likely if I carry my shotgun on my pack, I will get hasseled by the rangers?

I doubt anybody will care if you carry a shotgun on your pack. If anybody asks why, and you choose to give them a reason, you can always tell them with all the recent bear sightings you wanted some additional protection.

I've carried about every type of gun you can imagine in the forest. I've never been bothered. I doubt you will even see a ranger, unless you are going to a more popular area.

rpyne

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
:banghead:I gotta pee!!
Ranger: "Hey, what are you doing back here?"
Me; "Peeing"
Ranger: "You know there's a bathroom inside."
Me: "Sorry, your idiotic regulations say I can't go in the building with my means of self protection and I can't hold it any longer."

:lol:

Bennelli

imported post

I read it should be in Feb. 2010 as well. Goes into effect 9 months after it was signed into a law.:celebrate

swillden

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
The only ban is for National Parks -- not sure if that includes National Monuments as well...
I think it does, since National Monuments are run by the National Park Service.
Most of them are, but there are some that are run by the forest service and at least one (Grand Staircase-Escalante) that is run by the BLM. Until February, if you go to a National Monument look to see who runs it to know what the rules are.

wayneco

imported post

Who wants to be that the day before the national park carry becomes valid that there will be some special rule made or Presidential order invalidating it?

That nine month gestation gives the grabbers time to figure out how to pre-empt this newly restored freedom without the President having to veto the entire credit card bill.