• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego Map

sumyungguy

imported post

AWWW JESUS H CHRIST..... you mean that even the private schools are considered "Within the zone". Schools that are hidden inside buildings and such, like Motessori, Horizon, etc.?

Damn..... how the hell am I supposed to keep track of all THOSE?

I guess I owe this website and all the members a big THANKS for keeping me informed. Now I can look for all those smaller schools. I had begun a search for public schools only. My bad.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

sumyungguy wrote:
AWWW JESUS H CHRIST..... you mean that even the private schools are considered "Within the zone". Schools that are hidden inside buildings and such, like Motessori, Horizon, etc.?

Are those K-12s?

Not reasonably. The law SHOULD protect you, but it is intentionally misinterpreted.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sumyungguy wrote:

I guess I owe this website and all the members a big THANKS for keeping me informed. Now I can look for all those smaller schools. I had begun a search for public schools only. My bad.
That's probably why they put "reasonable knowledge" language into the statute. If you don't know it's there, and couldn't be reasonably expected to know it's there, then the statute doesn't apply.

I open carried many times while driving here in Modesto. Along one of the main streets is a Montessori School. Well, I'd never heard of Montessori, and from the outside it looked like any other Yoga or Palates studio, so I assumed Montessori was the new fad of exercise class.

Then I met a Montessori teacher who talked about how "No Child Left Behind" is ruining education. Turns out it's actually a day car/primary school. :banghead:

So, now I just avoid that street, or simply lock up until I get out of the "zone".

KylaGWolf

imported post

sumyungguy wrote:

Yep that is what you need to keep track of. While yes there is that nice little phrase reasonable knowledge it is up to you to prove you didn't know and unfortunately I doubt the DA would want to listen. We already know that the DA here in San Diego sucks.

coolusername2007

imported post

danUSP45 wrote:
I'm new on here. i read about the open carry in the reader. Is there anyone is Oceanside or north county S.D. OC'ing. I'd like to start doing it and am aware of the risks and still want to do it. but i'd like to go out with some others the first time around. kind alike a strength in numbers thing. Are there and outings in the near future?

Yes, an event is being planned in Rancho Cucamonga at the Bass Pro Shop. If you want to attend sent me a PM for details. See thread link below.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/29070.html

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

KylaGWolf wrote:
...While yes there is that nice little phrase reasonable knowledge it is up to you to prove you didn't know and unfortunately I doubt the DA would want to listen. We already know that the DA here in San Diego sucks.
Kyla brings up a good point that I failed to mention.

The burden of proof is on the DA to prove you knew, or reasonably should have known. Though the defense will have to do it's part to persuade the jury what is "reasonable".

So, while you are not legally obligated to make yourself aware of every school in your area, it is wise to avoid the whole arrest, trial, and possible conviction by simply knowing where the schools are.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I open carried many times while driving here in Modesto. Along one of the main streets is a Montessori School. Well, I'd never heard of Montessori, and from the outside it looked like any other Yoga or Palates studio, so I assumed Montessori was the new fad of exercise class.

Then I met a Montessori teacher who talked about how "No Child Left Behind" is ruining education. Turns out it's actually a day car/primary school. :banghead:

So, now I just avoid that street, or simply lock up until I get out of the "zone".
Just to clarify: the reason I discuss this here (in view of whoever may be monitoring the forum) is because the statute of limitations has passed.

Even if you're 100% certain you did nothing illegal, be wary about posting anything that can be used against you in a malicious prosecution.

KylaGWolf

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Just to clarify: the reason I discuss this here (in view of whoever may be monitoring the forum) is because the statute of limitations has passed.

Even if you're 100% certain you did nothing illegal, be wary about posting anything that can be used against you in a malicious prosecution.
Exactly! I have said that one a few times myself about being careful what you post. :)