• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego Map

Docschroeder

imported post

I was wondering if someone could post a map to all the areas in San Diego County that Open Carry is allowed.

I am new to the Open Carry forum and would like to know when the next get together is.

Thanks for the help.....

Doc

pullnshoot25

imported post

Watch these videos before you do anything else.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009/06/newest-oc-videos.html

The next event wont be until after August 31st AFAIK. Stay tuned into this site and my blog for further information.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com

Commonly utilized tools (THOUGH NOT ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE!) are Google Earth and Google maps. It is best to OC only in areas where you know you are 110% safe.

If you would like to email me, I have a KMZ I can send you of schools in SD to upload into Google Earth. However, I will make no claims as to its accuracy and you alone are responsible for ascertaining the dangers of your own area.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

I keep waiting for someone to venture capitalize on the school zone laws, but they're probably reading the tea leaves, both in a post-Heller world, and a GPS-satellite-getting-old world.

My idea was/is to get people to walk the outer perimeter of schools with GPS loggers, put them together with a +1,000 foot (or whatever user-specified) radius alerting algorithm, and either sell GPS units with this as the default firmware, or a plugin for existing name-brand units that allow firmware tweaking.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Docschroeder wrote:
I was wondering if someone could post a map to all the areas in San Diego County that Open Carry is allowed.
Doc,

Welcome to the forum.

It is legal to carry anywhere in San Diego County, except in places you "know, or reasonably should know" are school zones.

While there is no legal requirement for you to try to figure out where these school zones are, it is prudent to put some good faith effort into this, at least in areas you frequent.

Remember, it is NEVER a good idea to carry a map with school zones highlighted on it.

First, if you accidentally violate 626.9 - let's say you are driving and forget to check your map and enter a school zone - you'd be carrying evidence you reasonably should have known where that school zone is. This would make it infinitely easier on the prosecuting attorney to prove the hardest part of a 626.9 conviction.

Second, if a LEO finds you carrying a firearm and a map marking a bunch of schools, it may easily be used as an excuse to investigate you further. It's not legal, and we know it's not reasonable, but it's a golden defense if you ever decide to sue the officer: "I found a guy carrying a 'high-powered' handgun and a map of a bunch of schools; for the sake of the children, I was not going to take any chances."

My recommendation is to use Google Earth to map out your beginning and ending destination, and any stops on the way. At each stop/destination, plug in the address and "search nearby" for "schools". If there are any, simply don't carry there, and travel with your handgun in a locked case.

(Though I believe 626.9 exempts you while on private property, at least one DA is prosecuting despite this exemption. The DA's claim is that the exemption does not apply to private property that is open to the public. IMO, it's just not worth the potential hassle, until we get some case law in our favor.)

danUSP45

imported post

I'm new on here. i read about the open carry in the reader. Is there anyone is Oceanside or north county S.D. OC'ing. I'd like to start doing it and am aware of the risks and still want to do it. but i'd like to go out with some others the first time around. kind alike a strength in numbers thing. Are there and outings in the near future?

Army

imported post

danUSP45 wrote:
I'm new on here. i read about the open carry in the reader. Is there anyone is Oceanside or north county S.D. OC'ing. I'd like to start doing it and am aware of the risks and still want to do it. but i'd like to go out with some others the first time around. kind alike a strength in numbers thing. Are there and outings in the near future?
Sounds like a good excuse to have another gathering, Nate! I'm willing to drive back down once more :)

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

danUSP45 wrote:
Welcome to the board. If you don't get any response from our S.D. activists (of which there are plenty), try PM'ing pullnshoot25. He probably knows who's who and what's what in your neck of the woods.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Docschroeder wrote:
Doc,

Welcome to the forum.

It is legal to carry anywhere in San Diego County, except in places you "know, or reasonably should know" are school zones.

You need to also watch out for government buildings, courthouses, Post Offices, DMV(?).
Find a copy of the UOC pamphlet and spend some time looking up cases.

And in Oceanside, apparently there is an unchallenged city ordnance which prohibits openly carrying "weapons". The city attorney up there held charges over the head of BobBarker for one year and, as far as I know, he (BB) still has not received his firearm back.

Welcome to the forum.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, I forgot to mention govt buildings, where firearms are prohibited.

Definition of a "state or local building" from 171(b), subsection (c):

As used in this section, "state or local public building" means a building that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the state or local government, if state or local public employees are regularly present for the purposes of performing their official duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not limited to, a building that contains a courtroom.
(2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.
(3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.
171(c) refers to the state capitol; 171(d) refers to the Governor's mansion; 626.9, 626.95, and 626.10 refer to schools, colleges, and universities. (Though carrying a firearm in all these places is exempt from 171(b), they are all prohibited areas due to the provisions of the referenced sections.)

Elections Code 18544 talks about polling places. The statute is poorly written, so it's unclear (to me) what the statute means. (I think we discussed this back in October/November of '08, but I'm still not sure...)

If I read it correctly, 18544 prohibits firearm possession ONLY if you are "stationed" or "posted" in the vicinity.

This means 171(b) would not apply when the building is being used as a polling place. (Though I wouldn't want to walk into City Hall to be the test case.) Keep in mind this exemption only applies to 171(b), so a polling place in the high school gym would still be a no-firearm zone.

======================================================
Code:
[b]18544[/b].  (a) Any person in possession of a firearm or any uniformed
peace officer, private guard, or security personnel or any person who
is wearing a uniform of a peace officer, guard, or security
personnel, who is stationed in the immediate vicinity of, or posted
at, a polling place without written authorization of the appropriate
city or county [b]elections[/b] official is punishable by a fine not
exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), by imprisonment in the
state prison for 16 months or two or three years or in a county jail
not exceeding one year, or by both the fine and imprisonment.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) An unarmed uniformed guard or security personnel who is at the
polling place to cast his or her vote.
(2) A peace officer who is conducting official business in the
course of his or her public employment or who is at the polling place
to cast his or her vote.
(3) A private guard or security personnel hired or arranged for by
a city or county [b]elections[/b] official.
(4) A private guard or security personnel hired or arranged for by
the owner or manager of the facility or property in which the
polling place is located if the guard or security personnel is not
hired or arranged solely for the day on which an election is held.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Alright, here is how I do it.

I went through the California Department of Education website and went to the school finder page. When I put in my criteria (public, private, etc) I go through and open each school in a tab in firefox. Then I copy each address and put it in to Google Earth (I don't care about school names or anything.) After all the schools have been added, I go through and save each school. Then I save all of that by "Saving to my places". Then you have a permanent record of it. To be sure of everything, I email myself a copy of the KMZ file in case of a failure or anything.

Then, when I want to go to an area, I just pinpoint it and do a quick visual proximity check. If unsure, I use the ruler to measure everything out to make sure I am GO or NO GO.

If you know the general area, Google Earth is OK. If not, DON'T TRUST IT! ALWAYS go thorough the CDE website to verify EVERYTHING! It is too early in the game to be losing people to stupid 626.9 issues.

When in doubt, don't carry it out.

CARRY ON!

-N8

oROSSCOo

imported post

I am also new here to the forum and new to the realization of open carry (reader issue). I just came from Oceanside PD and they told me open carry is legal in Oceanside. I will still be checking local code in the next day or two. I too would like to join in an open carry event. I was thinking of me and a couple friends doing an OC bike ride from my house (S. Coastal Oceanside) to Iron Sights shooting range. It's a beautiful beach side ride and several nice restaurants on the way. I am first trying to read up on the laws first. It's like reading tax code and any help in deciphering the laws would be appreciated. Good times all.

pullnshoot25

imported post

oROSSCOo wrote:
I am also new here to the forum and new to the realization of open carry (reader issue). I just came from Oceanside PD and they told me open carry is legal in Oceanside. I will still be checking local code in the next day or two. I too would like to join in an open carry event. I was thinking of me and a couple friends doing an OC bike ride from my house (S. Coastal Oceanside) to Iron Sights shooting range. It's a beautiful beach side ride and several nice restaurants on the way. I am first trying to read up on the laws first. It's like reading tax code and any help in deciphering the laws would be appreciated. Good times all.
While OC is legal throughout the state, you need to be aware that certain municipalities, such as Oceanside, have illegal ordinances on their books preventing OC. The O'side City Attorney is still trying to convict bobbarker (member of OCDO) for OCing on the July 4th, 2008 for "violating" the municipal code. As such, I would not venture into OCing in O'side in the near future.

Make sure you know all the laws and everything. I have videos on my website if you want to accelerate the process. Click my username to find my blog.

CARRY ON!

-N8

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

oROSSCOo wrote:
I just came from Oceanside PD and they told me open carry is legal in Oceanside.

Admiral-Ackbar-trap.jpg

They left out their ILLEGAL and preempted ordinance. Yes, it is legal in Oceanside, same it is legal statewide, except they will maliciously arrest and prosecute you there anyway because their ordinance hasn't been struck down yet. It now appears they're doing quasi-entrapment in regards to their illegal law too. Freaking astounding level of arrogance from these criminals hiding behind badges.

sumyungguy

imported post

The school zone thing has me ANGRY as hell.

There is a school about 1200' away from me. If that new bill passes I will BE INSIDE the school zone. MAKES ME DAMNED ANGRY.

I've already messaged Christine Kehoe about this but as in so many gun law situations it seems doomed to pass.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

sumyungguy wrote:
I've already messaged Christine Kehoe about this but as in so many gun law situations it seems doomed to pass.

Might as well be screaming at a hurricane to get it to stop destroying good peoples' lives. That's about all they seem interested in doing anyway. :banghead:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
The O'side City Attorney is still trying to convict bobbarker (member of OCDO) for OCing on the July 4th, 2008 for "violating" the municipal code. As such, I would not venture into OCing in O'side in the near future.
Bob gave us this update on 7/5/09:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2728203&postcount=66

The statute of limitations is up, so the CA can't prosecute now. It's a done deal... except he still hasn't got his gun back...

However, I think your advice is still wise. For individuals or small groups (2-4), I wouldn't risk the malicious prosecution.

However, if there were to be a larger meetup, with plenty of audio/video recording and friendly witnesses, it should be fairly safe.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

oROSSCOo wrote:
I was thinking of me and a couple friends doing an OC bike ride from my house (S. Coastal Oceanside) to Iron Sights shooting range. It's a beautiful beach side ride and several nice restaurants on the way. I am first trying to read up on the laws first. It's like reading tax code and any help in deciphering the laws would be appreciated. Good times all.
A bike ride sounds good, but be 110% certain you can do it without entering a 'gun free school zone.'

As for help deciphering the penal code (not to mention case law), go to www.californiaopencarry.org.

We've also covered most topics in this forum, so the search function is a good resource, too.

oROSSCOo

imported post

Thank you all for your replies. They have saved me a lot of time and effort. N6ATF, advice acknowledged and I dug the starwars reference. CA_Libretarian Thanks for the links. Looks like I've got a bit of reading to do. Just an FYI here is the code for Oceanside pertaining to OC. blog.

Knowledge = Freedom

KylaGWolf

imported post

Doc welcome to the forum. I can tell you a few places to not carry here in San Diego.

Ocean beach most of the area is out due to school zones.

Near Mission Valley Mall or Hazard Center due to school zones.

Not in any of the parks in San Diego.

Not in any government building or on government property.

Stay away from Parkway Plaza in El Cajon they get cranky and call the police.

Make sure you do a very careful search of the area you want to carry in and then double and triple check to make sure there are no schools near by. Look for Private and charter schools as well as public ones.