• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need some advice

Godscreation

imported post

AR 15's are so expensive. My AK was cheap as dirt, it's reliable, tough as the dickens and just freakin awesome.

I also am interested in an AR. what brands are good and what should I stay away from? any good ar's under a 1000 bucks? I would like a rifle that no bigger than 16" in barrel length. pics are fine, just let me know what i'm looking at and explain in English.

Thanks in advance. when It comes to AR 15, I have no idea where to start. Oh, and I'm in Charlotte NC and the gun show is coming up in mid august, so you could help me possibly buy an ar next month!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

May I suggest visiting AR15.com and doing some sniffing arounsthey have all sorts of articles and videos on different parts manufacturers and the quality of their parts.

Think of it this way, all lowers and uppers from different manufacturerswill still work with each other if they are truely mil-spec tolerances. the difference you're going to find is the materials used, and the finish applied to the steel.

AR's are notoriously accurate, I say they are almost as accurate as bolt-action guns which shouldn't be possible with a semi-auto firearm. the accuraqcy comes from the unique bolt lock-up action IMO.

The AR bubble is beginning to burst, prices should be getting back down to normal soon. I saw lower assemblies go from $70.00 to $200.00 with a 12 week backorder becuase of the demand. Now that the "obamination" in office put his campaign promises on hold, and the economy has tanked, people will be selling their hardware to put food on the table, Sort of like the Y2K generator demand back in 1999, lots of good stuff should become available and cheap. Ammo may also become more available soon too.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
If I buy a .22 it's going to be a Ruger 10/22.

I'm looking for a defensive rifle like an AR 15 to supplement my AK
I just remembered something, A company I do not recall right now makes AR-15furniture to fit a Ruger 10-22 barreled action. It is the exact same dimensiion as an AR-15 so it can be used as a practice gun and has the same feel with cheap ammo , all other AR-15 furniture will fit it too, it looks exactly the same, but based on a 10-22.
I saw their stuff in a "cheaper than dirt" catalog.

PDinDetroit

imported post

There are a couple options to consider:

1. DPMS makes entry level AR-15's for less than $1000. Check out http://www.dpmsinc.com. If you go with this option, make sure to get one chambered in 5.56 NATO as it will be able to shoot .223 Remington. I opted to spend the money on a S&W M&P 15 MOE and have not been disappointed.

2. There are conversion kits for AR-15's to be able to shoot .22 LR. I have heard mixed reviews.

3. The newer Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles (serial numbers 580 and above) are accurate and go bang every time (self-cleaning piston action). I can find them in the Detroit Area for less than $800. I have 2 and have put 2500+ rounds downrange with only 1 FTE and 1 FTF. They take 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington per Ruger Manuals.

4. The Ruger 10/22 are only about $200. I have 2 of these as well. My kids will be giving them to their grandkids.

Here are some PICS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31534850@N08/with/3711163015/

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Godscreation wrote:
If I buy a .22 it's going to be a Ruger 10/22.

I just remembered something, A company I do not recall right now makes AR-15furniture to fit a Ruger 10-22 barreled action. It is the exact same dimensiion as an AR-15 so it can be used as a practice gun and has the same feel with cheap ammo , all other AR-15 furniture will fit it too, it looks exactly the same, but based on a 10-22.
I saw their stuff in a "cheaper than dirt" catalog.

Is it the ArcAngel packages for 10/22's? I see it advertised in all the Handgunner mags.

http://www.promagindustries.com/

Michigander

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
If you're just looking to reinforce what you already have for defensive purposes, have you considered getting another AK? If you do that, you'll have ammo, parts and magazine interchangeability. You could set them each up differently to fulfill different roles, or you could keep them similar, and just have one as a back up.

But if you just have an itch that can only be scratched with an AR, that's cool, and please post pics when you get it. :cool:

Springfield45

imported post

I own a Bushmaster M4A3 type AR-15 about ($1,300). 5.56mm http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F14M4IZ.asp

I also own a DPMS Panther LR-308AP4 An AR-15 style rifle chambered
in .308 Win. Another very well crafted rifle. about ($1,300)

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4854

A recent addition to my "Black weapon" collection was a DPMS Panther Sportical
in 5.56mm - I LOVE THIS RIFLE. about ($700) I soon hope to add a .308 cal
version of this rifle to my collection. I've grown fond of the accuracy of the
"flat-top" and don't really miss the M4A3's carry handle as much as I thought
I would. After adding Wilson Combat's Flip up - backup irons, the rifle is ready
to go, was hoping to set an ACOG on top, but funds ran a little short... maybe
for Christmas ;-)

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5295

The Panther (DPMS) is IMO, a very good quality rifle, for the beginner AND the seasoned shooter. I would recommend checking them out for your first AR
purchase. Good quality, accuracy, warranty, and good prices.

~~Springfield

XD40GINA

imported post

I'm a definite fan of the AK. I have several AR's and Several AK's and AK variants. My fave is the Sagia .223 "Natasha". You might want to consider the Dragunov, AK type, cheaper and more availableammo (7.62 x 54).

XD40GINA

imported post

I'm a definite fan of the AK. I have several AR's and Several AK's and AK variants. My fave is the Sagia .223 "Natasha". You might want to consider the Dragunov, AK type, cheaper and more availableammo (7.62 x 54).

Legba

imported post

Dragunov ammo may be cheaper, but the hardware certainlyisn't, especially an authentic Soviet one.

-ljp

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

At a 16" barrel length you should be able to find quite a few good quality AR's for under $1,000. Like Nut said, the bubble is going to burst here sooner or later and you should be able to get an even better deal.

There aren't too many brands to stay away from and most of them are in bed with each other anyway.

As far as complete rifles go: For stuff that's over priced Armalite, Bushmaster, Remington (bushmaster), and S&W come to mind. For good value DPMS and Olympic Arms.

I have several AR's and build them all out of pieces now so I won't bother to get in to the brands that I've got sitting around. I do Own a factory Bushmaster and a factory DPMS AR-10; other than that, they are all frankenstein guns.

Legba

imported post

The Romanian PSL/ROMAK-3 has the same internal mechanism as an AK - it just chambers the longer 54 round. These can be had for under a thousand bucks, true. The Dragunov proper is mechanically a bit different, and runs rather more than $850. The Chinese one chambered for .308 is a couple grand. For practical purposes, the clones are fine,but they're not strictly the same.

-ljp

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I have an AK and an AR. The AK is used for plinking and home protection. The Rock River National Match AR shoots 1/2 MOA (that means 1/2" group at 100 yards).

Rock River also makes a "standard" AR that still shoots 1 " groups at 100 yards for less than $1,000. That's about the best value you're going to get for under a thousand bucks.

It all depends on what you want the rifle for... I shoot "hunting" lead-pointed 124 gr rounds in the AK.

We use 77 gr BTHP rounds for matches in the AR. The AR will shoot a 3" group at 600 yards with iron sights, but with a 20" barrel, its not the greatest thing for the clown coming through the front door. I'd rather not shoot him and the neighbor across the street asleep in his bed at 0300.

Check out Rock River's web site and they will send you a catalog for free.

I was an armorer in the military for over 20 years and have been shooting competitively since 1986. I've found Rock River to be very dependable and the best rifle for the money. Colt ARsare WAY overpriced in my opinion as are most of the others like Bushmaster and DPMS.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I have an AK and an AR. The AK is used for plinking and home protection. The Rock River National Match AR shoots 1/2 MOA (that means 1/2" group at 100 yards).

+1

I forgot to mention RRA. Good rifles. I also forgot to mention that Colt is overpriced.:cool:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

catass wrote:
Brass Magnet wrote:
For good value ... Olympic Arms.
There's a reason Oly is the cheapest of the lot

Do you own any?

I here this garbage on the net all the time and there isn't any truth to it. Ultimately, someone points to the silly "mil spec" M4 list that isn't up to date and they don't really understand that "mil spec" hardly ever means "better". Oly's are good guns. The only one they ever had problems with was the original plinker and that was because it had a cast receiver. The other manufacturers that tried that had the same problems. Nobody makes a cast receiver anymore as far as I know. I own several guns with Oly parts and some complete Oly upper halves and have never had a single issue. They're button broached target barrels are some of the better ones out there too.