• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thune Bill Killed by Republicans

langzaiguy

imported post

Our Federal & State governments aren't democracies? I wouldn't teach that in any of my history or government classes. Back in 1787 we had 13 sovereign states that come together and yes, through a type of social contract, they give up certain jurisdiction to the Federal Government. A few powers are assigned to the Federal Government, but most powers, under that catch-all 10th amendment, are left to the states.

We must remember that the purpose of the Bill of Rights is to protect the states and their constituents from Federal involvement and Federal power grabs.

Unfortunately, under today's view of federalism, the Fed does seem more powerful than it actually should be. In interpreting the Constitution, it's important to keep in mind the founders' original intent.

I don't mean to get bent out of shape. I suppose it's because I'm a history & government teacher that I'm so picky about the concepts of federalism and sovereignty.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Our Federal & State governments aren't democracies? I wouldn't teach that in any of my history or government classes. Back in 1787 we had 13 sovereign states that come together and yes, through a type of social contract, they give up certain jurisdiction to the Federal Government. A few powers are assigned to the Federal Government, but most powers, under that catch-all 10th amendment, are left to the states.

We must remember that the purpose of the Bill of Rights is to protect the states and their constituents from Federal involvement and Federal power grabs.

Unfortunately, under today's view of federalism, the Fed does seem more powerful than it actually should be. In interpreting the Constitution, it's important to keep in mind the founders' original intent.

I don't mean to get bent out of shape. I suppose it's because I'm a history & government teacher that I'm so picky about the concepts of federalism and sovereignty.
The United States of America is a Constitutional Republic, with a Democratic Electoral Process. This assures that certain rights are inalienable, and cannot be steamrolled by mob rule.