• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What I've learned from OCDO

FreeCitizen

imported post

It is generally accepted that there are two sides to a coin. There are those that believe OC is the only way to go, and there are those that believe that CC is.

I have seen that there are those who live outside the box; who see the edge to that coin that is too often overlooked. And the edge is longer than both sides.

These are the people who understand that "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The people who believe that no permit is required to carry how you choose. This is where I believe the fight should be directed.

The Founding Fathers believed that the only way to insure our rights - as given to us by God - are protected against tyrannical control is to have armed Citizens to stand up against it. The only way to protect ourselves from those who would do us harm is to have the means to defend ourselves from them.

It saddens me to read the left and right (of carrying) arguing over the proper way to express that right. What I have learned here is that we all stand for the same principle. We HATE that our rights are being infringed. We all want the freedom to secure the rest of the rights we are given as being born free men (and women :D). We all want our voices to be heard above the rabble that the talking heads of the media dish out nightly about how guns are an evil thing that only criminals possess them. We want to be secure in living as Americans - and carry how we choose WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION!!

What I have learned here is that we the people need to stop quarreling amongst ourselves about which side of the coin is the right one, and, instead, unite along the edge of the coin to secure our freedom and of those that will succeed us. Join together and remove the power that will make us slaves to those that serve us.

Everyone here has found this site - not by accident - to find others who hold the same fundamental belief... that we the people have certain unalienable rights that CANNOT be taken away from us by force or law. We all agree that it is our RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

Please, brothers (and sisters:D)! Try to take the fight from within our ranks. Take it to the front of the battle - the battle for our freedom. OC...CC... only two sides to the three dimensional coin. Heads I win .Tails I lose - but on its side... a coin rolls forward.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

FreeCitizen wrote:
It is generally accepted that there are two sides to a coin. There are those that believe OC is the only way to go, and there are those that believe that CC is.

I certainly don't accept the notion that it is either/or. That, as they say is a logical fallacy.

No one has a right to OC. No one has a right to CC.

We have a right to bear arms. And a right to self-defense.

These are natural rights, which cannot be infringed according to our constitution.

OC as you will. CC as you will.

To have to choose only one or the other is a false choice.

6L6GC

imported post

HankT wrote:
FreeCitizen wrote:

I certainly don't accept the notion that it is either/or. That, as they say is a logical fallacy.

These are natural rights, which cannot be infringed according to our constitution.

I concur entirely. I often find myself puzzled at the snobbery shown by proponents of one carry mode vs. the other. I have heard absurd arguments set forth by both sides insisting that their perfered method of carry is the ONLY constitutionally protected way of carry.

It is clear that the constitution itself neither denys nor endorses either mode. Since the constitution doesn't specify a carry mode, I am of the opinion that any mode I/we find appropriate is legal. Open. Concealed. What's the difference to someone else which I do at any given moment. What valid concern does someone have about which mode of carry a free citizen chooses to use?

It may come as a shock to some, but it is not all that unusual for me to engage in both modes at the same time. You see me carrying (open mode) a handgun and assume that is the only one I have?? Well, you know what they say about assuming. ;)

darthmord

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
HankT wrote:
FreeCitizen wrote:

I concur entirely. I often find myself puzzled at the snobbery shown by proponents of one carry mode vs. the other. I have heard absurd arguments set forth by both sides insisting that their perfered method of carry is the ONLY constitutionally protected way of carry.

It is clear that the constitution itself neither denys nor endorses either mode. Since the constitution doesn't specify a carry mode, I am of the opinion that any mode I/we find appropriate is legal. Open. Concealed. What's the difference to someone else which I do at any given moment. What valid concern does someone have about which mode of carry a free citizen chooses to use?

It may come as a shock to some, but it is not all that unusual for me to engage in both modes at the same time. You see me carrying (open mode) a handgun and assume that is the only one I have?? Well, you know what they say about assuming. ;)

I do the same.

Besides, I do believe the 2nd says 'keep and bear arms'. It doesn't say how, what mode, or where. I'll carry in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction where I am at because the Constitution says I'm supposed to follow the laws (one of those things a good citizenis supposed todo).

Too bad that some jurisdictions refuse to follow the 'law of the land'.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
FreeCitizen wrote:

Well said. CC often earns a measure of ire, as to practice it sometimes requires one to be a supplicant to the state and seek permission. To hardcore RKBA advocates, asking permission to exercise a right is revolting.

Were CC and OC freely equal to all, without application upon the state, few OC'ers would denigrate CC.

I can say, however, that CC'ers would not be so welcoming of OC'ers. Many CC'ers are afraid of a gun openly displayed, and these hoplophobic CC'ers resent and despise OC.

For this and other reasons, I prefer the company of OC'ers.