• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on City of Seattle property

SANDRAT

imported post

Is anybody familiar with the "Rule" that Mayor Knuckles is imposing on carrying on city property and buildings?They are saying that since it's a rule,and not a ban or law,it is not pre-empted by state law.If it is not a law,can I be fined,or just asked to leave?

Dr. Fresh

imported post

As far as I know it has gone nowhere.

I do find it funny that they think changing the term from "law" to "rule" makes any difference.

SANDRAT

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
As far as I know it has gone nowhere.

I do find it funny that they think changing the term from "law" to "rule" makes any difference.
They are saying a rule is a formalized policy,but not a law,beacause state law would prohibit that.their senior policy analyst Scales thinks it will hold up.

j2l3

imported post

Scales is an idiot. The worst they can do is ask you to leave and trespass you if you refuse.

However, the "Rule" was never implemented.

Tawnos

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Scales is an idiot. The worst they can do is ask you to leave and trespass you if you refuse.

Which would then be an unlawful command by an official, leaving them open to coercion charges and civil rights violation lawsuits.

Sandrat, that "rule" is going nowhere, it was simply grandstanding.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
j2l3 wrote:

Which would then be an unlawful command by an official, leaving them open to coercion charges and civil rights violation lawsuits.

Sandrat, that "rule" is going nowhere, it was simply grandstanding.
This. If they trespass anyone for violating such a rule, they have opened themselves up to a nice lawsuit.

arentol

imported post

Tawnos wrote:

...it was simply grandstanding.
As is, apparently, 99% of everything Nickel's says. As far as I can tell the only political actions that man knows are grandstanding and begging for contributions.